09-05-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
Yes, we all know that we need to exercise. I, for one, like to do my workouts privately as I'm not a big fan of going to the gym. Because of this though, I am usually the only one to hold myself accountable. Therefore, I am starting this thread to not only keep up with my own chosen workout, attain some public accountability, but to also find out what else others are doing for their exercise. So if you're interested, post here what your exercise goals are, what you plan to do to achieve your goals, and how you are progressing.

SharpSpine's Chosen Exercise: Tabata Burpees

Research abstract that led to Tabata as a exercise protocol

As they did in the research study I plan on performing my Tabata Burpee routine 4 days per week. This will ensure a day of rest between each workout except for once each week. My current schedule is Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday. The time needed for this each week is only 4 minutes per day; 16 minutes per week; just over an hour per month. If you try Tabatas, please remember that this is an intense workout and it should be. If it's not safe for you to perform Tabatas then please don't. Also, if you do Tabatas and don't put forth your maximal effort then don't expect to see great results. My current goal is to go 4x/wk for 6 weeks (again, like they did in the research protocol).

My first time doing this I completed 38 burpees in the 4 minutes. On my 3rd try I was already up to 41.

My goals through this are to increase my general overall fitness, decrease my body fat %, and increase my natural HGH and testosterone levels.

BTW, that is not me in the exercise video. Winky

31 7,914
 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I get my exercise by making my Lazy-Boy go back and forth.

I commend you for your workout.

173 23,553
 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM
User Info
Lol @ Johnny.

I go to the gym every day or nearly every day. I take a day of rest or just do cardio that day, depending on how lazy I was during the week.

Sundays - chest
Mondays - back
Tu - day off
W - Shoulders
Th - Abs
F - Arms (bis & tris)
Sa - heavy bag/legs

Goal: pack on 5 more pounds of muscle and lose the love handles.

9 2,988
 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I don't exercise formally. I walk, usually alone, and usually briskly. I have my weight where I want it and the thought of going to a gym or having a personal trainer I find repulsive (and I am speaking just for me here).

2 11,211
 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
(09-05-2012, 12:28 PM)freddy Wrote: I don't exercise formally. I walk, usually alone, and usually briskly. I have my weight where I want it and the thought of going to a gym or having a personal trainer I find repulsive (and I am speaking just for me here).

freddy, walking is one of the best exercises out there. I believe that our convenience society based on cars for travel and doing very little physical labor has practically wiped out walking from our day to day activities. I even see people who get into their car, drive down their driveway, roll down the window, get their mail, and then drive back into the garage. More people walking every day would be a great thing for our society. Keep up the walking and enjoy your surroundings.

31 7,914
 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(09-05-2012, 12:40 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(09-05-2012, 12:28 PM)freddy Wrote: I don't exercise formally. I walk, usually alone, and usually briskly. I have my weight where I want it and the thought of going to a gym or having a personal trainer I find repulsive (and I am speaking just for me here).

freddy, walking is one of the best exercises out there. I believe that our convenience society based on cars for travel and doing very little physical labor has practically wiped out walking from our day to day activities. I even see people who get into their car, drive down their driveway, roll down the window, get their mail, and then drive back into the garage. More people walking every day would be a great thing for our society. Keep up the walking and enjoy your surroundings.

Unfortunately, I have seen something like your driving to the mailbox scenario, as well. I live in Southern California (San Diego) where the average is between 12,000-15,000 miles of driving a year. I average 3,000-4,000 and most of that is when I have out of town guests. I do take the city buses and light rail lines a lot but even doing that forces me to walk to the stop or station and, sometimes, run (or in my 66 year old case, trot) for a bus/trolley that I might miss otherwise. All of that is exercise.

2 11,211
 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
i am not sure i have any goals for excercising.
i ride my bike to work four days a week; play competitive football(soccer) once a week and go on hikes/walks on most weekends. i try to trick my body into doing this at my age, but it is getting harder. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That workout is too intense for older people. Walking is a great exercise unfortunately in the Florida hot sunny temperature it does more harm then good.

100 12,449
 09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
User Info
(09-06-2012, 09:58 AM)slantman Wrote: That workout is too intense for older people. Walking is a great exercise unfortunately in the Florida hot sunny temperature it does more harm then good.

Can't you wear a hat? Just wondering.

9 2,988
 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
(09-06-2012, 09:58 AM)slantman Wrote: That workout is too intense for older people. Walking is a great exercise unfortunately in the Florida hot sunny temperature it does more harm then good.

Burpees maybe, but burst training is very critical for the over 50 population as it increases your Human Growth Hormone and Testosterone naturally. Try Tabata while walking. Walk fast for 20 seconds, then slow for 10 and repeat 7 more times. Tabata is very flexible and can be done with practically any exercise.

31 7,914
 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM
User Info
Sounds like tabata is a form of interval training which is the best way to lose fat.

0 241
 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
My wife go to the gym three times a week.
We take an yoga class for 45 minutes, then we head to the pool for arthritis water aerobics for 45 minutes. We do this three times a week.

1 3,507
 09-06-2012, 01:48 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Well heres my notations of my training with our households recently bought motorized threadmill. Me and my woman both need better condition and to burn some fat. I have a mp3 album with old King Diamond metal on my phone. Seems to fit nice with my walking.
Still trying to find my limits. I started easy and have increased the time for every day.

(3 km/h tfn)

date 31/8 lenght 0.5 km
1/9 0.6 km
2/9 0.7 km
3/9 1 km

(3.5 km/h tfn)
4/9 1.1 km
5/9 1.75 + 0.55 km
6/9 lawnmoving (push reel mower) <-- Thought that was enough :-D

(4 km/h tfn)
7/9 1.65 km
8/9 1 km (A bit lazy today :-D)
9/9 Garden work

10/9 Garden work + Lawnmoving
11/9 unstable stomach (To risky)
12/9 2 km

13/9 Lawnmoving 1.5 times (wet grass)--To be continued--

For buildning my arms and areas around i use a Powerball metal. A sphere with a gyro you get in motion. The rotation gives you a good workout and it takes no place at all for storing. + is very fun to use it. the feeling of mass increases with the speed.

0 284
 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
(09-06-2012, 12:24 PM)Ecosse Wrote: Sounds like tabata is a form of interval training which is the best way to lose fat.

Yes it is. It's a version called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Excellent aerobic and anaerobic benefits!

(09-06-2012, 12:34 PM)Howler Wrote: My wife go to the gym three times a week.
We take an yoga class for 45 minutes, then we head to the pool for arthritis water aerobics for 45 minutes. We do this three times a week.

People joke about water aerobics and my first response is that they should try it because it will kick their booty!

(09-06-2012, 01:48 PM)Johan Wrote: Well heres my notations of my training with our households recently bought motorized threadmill. Me and my woman both need better condition and to burn some fat. I have a mp3 album with old King Diamond metal on my phone. Seems to fit nice with my walking.
Still trying to find my limits. I started easy and have increased the time for every day.

(3 km/h tfn)

date 31/8 lenght 0.5 km
1/9 0.6 km
2/9 0.7 km
3/9 1 km

(3.5 km/h tfn)
4/9 1.1 km
5/9 1.75 + 0.55 km

--To be continued--

For buildning my arms and areas around i use a Powerball metal. A sphere with a gyro you get in motion. The rotation gives you a good workout and it takes no place at all for storing. + is very fun to use it. the feeling of mass increases with the speed.

Great log Johan. I've considered getting a reel mower a few times to incorporate my exercise with cutting the grass. I'm interested in the Powerball that you mention. Can you give me a link for it? Thanks!

31 7,914
 09-07-2012, 12:31 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
(09-06-2012, 01:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Great log Johan. I've considered getting a reel mower a few times to incorporate my exercise with cutting the grass. I'm interested in the Powerball that you mention. Can you give me a link for it? Thanks!

Sure. Heres a english vendor who sells the ball.

http://www.powerballs.com/which.php?m=Home

They offer lifetime guarantee. But Its made by a company called NSD (think its Taiwanese based. Have different names it seems in different countrys.

In Usa you might find it under the name Dynaflex Xtreme Steel. Here is a Amazon vendor.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynaflex-PB-388-si...f_se_p_t_2

They dont sell it anymore but you could read some reviews.

And Heres a enlish Amazon link with even more reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerball-350-Hz...507&sr=8-1

I´m not sure but if you think shipment is fair from uk you should maybe buy it from there. Thats 100 % the genuine product.

I bought mine from a Swedish store dealing with nerdish techical stuff and toys. And i´m sure like playing with mine. Biggrin

Hope i could be of any help!

(09-06-2012, 01:57 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Great log Johan. I've considered getting a reel mower a few times to incorporate my exercise with cutting the grass. I'm interested in the Powerball that you mention. Can you give me a link for it? Thanks!

Btw if your planning to buy a reel lawmower. Skip the "new" fancy free clippers that are supposed to cut without sharpening the blades themself as a ordanary reel mower. The producers claim that the blades are specially hardened and dont need sharpening. Thats craptalk. Sure they are a bit easier to push with less resistance but cuts less well. I know. I did the misstake of bying one last year. In the end i had to buy a new (selfsharpening) one this year.

So by a sturdy old school instead. One of those most people seems to like at Amazon.com.

Time for my walking by the way. :-D

0 284
 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM
User Info
Thursday I didn't get a chance to do my Tabata. Instead it was volleyball practice followed be a little more cardio that night.

Tabata will resume later today.

31 7,914
 09-09-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
Completed 45 burpees in my 4min Tabata last night. Curious to see how many I get today.

My first Tabata series I only completed 38 burpees so I'm pretty pleased with my improvement in just a week.

31 7,914
 09-19-2012, 06:40 AM
  • Johan
  • Sweden
User Info
(09-06-2012, 01:48 PM)Johan Wrote: Well heres my notations of my training with our households recently bought motorized threadmill. Me and my woman both need better condition and to burn some fat. I have a mp3 album with old King Diamond metal on my phone. Seems to fit nice with my walking.

(3 km/h tfn)

date 31/8 lenght 0.5 km
1/9 0.6 km
2/9 0.7 km
3/9 1 km

(3.5 km/h tfn)
4/9 1.1 km
5/9 1.75 + 0.55 km

(4 km/h tfn)
7/9 1.65 km
8/9 1 km (A bit lazy today :-D)
9/9 Garden work

10/9 Garden work + Lawnmoving
11/9 unstable stomach (To risky)
12/9 2 km

13/9 Lawnmoving 1.5 times (wet grass)--To be continued--

bump

(4 km/h tfn)

19/9 2 km (Yes has been having a few days paus) Now i´m back on the "track" again.
20/9 Lawnmoving and gardenwork

0 284
 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
I have to take some time off from lifting. I think I overloaded my shoulders. Don't want to suffer another rotator cuff sprain/strain/minor injury.

I'll do abs on Thursday and Arms on Friday, but no shoulders this week, and I'm thinking of putting off chest & back next week.

But the good news is that my right ankle seems to be healing, so I'm back to running. Even though it is for only about .75 miles before I can feel it. Have to start slow, don't want to reinjure myself again.

9 2,988
 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM
User Info
Thanks for the bump. My volleyball schedule has really interrupted my Tabata training routine. I definitely need to figure that out as I can tell a huge difference when I'm doing them vs when I'm not.

Lee, definitely protect your shoulders. Strengthen the stabilizers by doing some light dumbbell exercises while supported on a physioball.

31 7,914