06-30-2018, 01:14 PM
User Info
Sometimes self learning is a detriment as well. I wish when I was growing up that I had knowledgeable folks to train me in shooting (my city raised dad would have freaked!) but I didn't. I'm still trying to unlearn some of the things self taught decades ago. I move forward slowly at my age, but I do move forward. Other things (such as "Quick Kill" in the military) have stayed with me for all these decades and it was a survival skill and just done unconciously. Just google it if you're interested. I actually need to consciously slow myself down when bird hunting otherwise I just have a cloud of feathers... amazing how the mind works even after decades.

32 6,507
 06-30-2018, 02:04 PM
User Info
(06-30-2018, 12:09 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 09:37 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I plan to buy a lathe this summer - disguised as a birthday present to myself - to teach myself wood turning... I been playing around with an old drill mounted horisontally, but that's not really good enough to learn much more than I already know.

It may be reinventing the wheel, but sometimes there is no local classes and sometimes the journey is the destination Wink

Update: The lathe will be delivered on the 2nd. The carbide cutters will take a couple of weeks more, but I got some cheap gouges and scrapers in a drawer... so I'll try to make some chips Tongue

I expect a steep learning curve Biggrin

Congrats....Enjoy. Make some candlestick holders, they are super easy to make.... Cheers

0 691