09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
  • du212
  • ne quid nimis
  • Northern Spain
User Info
Sorry for my bad english. I am not a native english speaker, I am trying to improve this point, I hope my future posts will be better

This manual is intended for those who wonder if Mitchells is a good soap, or if the lather is so amazing, but they get flabby lather, or take so long to get decent lather or ,...... the bullshit about hard water ....

This HOWTO is done in the following conditions:
Room temperature: 21º C, water temperature 21ºC, water pH 8.2, KH or Carbonate Hardness, 13, Hardness 12 GH. Under these conditions the lather can be obtained in quantity and quality, no matter the material used ,you will need:

Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Brush, in boar or badger, I will use both a pure badger Plisson #10 20 mm. knot and a Semogue 2000 boar
Bowl, a regular ceramic bowl and optionally the soap dish of MWF

ACT I: The Badger

[Image: DSCF0989.jpg]

1st Soaking Brush and soap
It's important to use water at room temperature, not warmer, soak the brush and soap ,we need 2 minute soaking the brush, for the soap 1 minute is enough, to know he is ready, swipe your finger over soap, if the finger takes soap it's ready.

[Image: DSCF0991.jpg]

2nd Drain the brush properly,
the brush should be wet, very wet, but not dripping, just drain the water down and apply a soft pressure over the bristles with your fingers. The aim is that the brush remains dry enough to scratch the soap but not as wet to soak the soap or to make flabby lather.

[Image: DSCF0992.jpg]

3rd Load and unload lather.
We have to do lather, the first lather will be flabby, continue beating until it becomes thick, without crushing the hair of our badger brush, after beating. 20 or 30 seconds you will see thicker lather,

[Image: DSCF0993.jpg]

at the end the lather is too thick, that is the real lather MWF is that we are worth, with few large bubbles, thick, dense, cushioned ,....

[Image: DSCF0994.jpg]

we have to pass it to the bowl and collect all the lather from the bowl of soap that we we can, I even drain brush and then pick lather from Mitchell's ceramic bowl to the bowl that I used to make final lather.

[Image: DSCF0995.jpg]

4th Work the lather
Mitchell's is a good soap, but not as easy to handle as Tabac, but surely we have lather that has large bubbles and still we have to beat until these bubbles become fine, probably the lather will seems drier than necessary. You only need water ...Hold water drops on your fingers and let it fall into the bowl and beat them to mix it with lather.
Do you see how water is added?, From the fingertips fall droplets, 4 or 5 are sufficient to obtain a softer and more moisturizing lather, this way yo can have a perfect control of the added water

[Image: DSCF0996.jpg]

After the effort comes the reward, a bowl full of creamy lather with the soft scent of MWF

[Image: DSCF0997.jpg]

5th Face lathering
Once the lather has the desired look we are able to pass the brush over the face, in the case of MWF I recommend face lathering, the light exfoliating ability of the brush attached to the lubricating oils of the soap will help to soften the shave, as "soft" as scratch our skin with a sharp blade

[Image: DSCF0998.jpg]

NOTES: The water at room temperature MWF does not work well with hot water, some people's problems come from using a hot scuttle or preheated bowls brushes full of hot water. Apart from melt the lanolin (at 42º C ), lather is worse, one of the keys is the temperature. Do not worry about the cold lather works well and if you want you can heat the cold lather in your scuttle once assembled

ACT II: THE BOAR

Introduction,
this manual is definitive, and low cost in a single step, if you can't obtain lather this way buy a Noxzema can, you were born for great achievements but doing lather is not one of them ..... Be quiet you going to do fantastic fat lather with a cheap brush, and
- Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap or Kent, without the bowl
- A large bowl, with the width of a CD and about 2 inches deep minimum the typical bowl for breakfast

1st Soaking Brush and soap,
this time we take the puck of soap and put it in the large bowl. It's important to use water at room temperature, not warmer, soak the brush and soap ,we need 2 minute soaking the brush, for the soap 1 minute is enough, to know he is ready, swipe your finger over soap, if the finger takes soap it's ready

[Image: DSCF0991.jpg]

2nd Drain the brush properly,
the brush should be wet, very wet, but not dripping, just drain the water down and apply a soft pressure over the bristles with your fingers. The aim is that the brush remains dry enough to scratch the soap but not as wet to soak the soap or to make flabby lather.

[Image: DSCF0999.jpg]

Pressing to remove excess of water

[Image: DSCF1001.jpg]

Brush drained

[Image: DSCF1002.jpg]

3rd MWF or Kent to the bottom of the bowl,
you have to release the soap from the ceramic (MWF) or wooden bowl (Kent) or use a refill,

[Image: DSCF1003.jpg]

4th Beat vigorously soap
We will use our boar brush to beat the soap in the bowl with rhythm, vigorously, the first lather that you can see is flabby,

[Image: DSCF1004.jpg]

but this has just started, in seconds it appears as a thick cream as meringue,.... you are at the doors of the nirvana of shaving lather ...

[Image: DSCF1005.jpg]

If you want you can remove the puck cleaning it with a brush to remove the precious lanolin rich cream. If you leave the puck the lather works fine, but if you decide to take it out, you should pass it through water and leave the soap drying before storing, the soap must be kept dry.

5th Add water if necessary
Adding water droplets must be done to, with your fingers to soften a bit the density of lather and do it more lightly, as you like, if you like it firm and thick you can skip this step.

[Image: DSCF1007.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1008.jpg]

6th face lathering
Once the lather has the desired look we are able to pass the brush over the face, in the case of MWF I recommend face lathering, the light exfoliating ability of the brush attached to the lubricating oils of the soap will help to soften the shave, as "soft" as scratch our skin with a sharp blade

[Image: DSCF1009.jpg]

NOTES: The water at room temperature MWF does not work well with hot water, some people's problems come from using a hot scuttle or preheated bowls brushes full of hot water. Apart from melt the lanolin (at 42º C ), lather is worse, one of the keys is the temperature. Do not worry about the cold lather works well and if you want you can heat the cold lather in your scuttle once assembled

Compare the two lather brushes, it's awesome, who doesn't want to feel one of those brushes in the face?

[Image: DSCF1006.jpg]

Greetings from Spain, I hope it is useful. If you have progressed with the MWF by reading this Howto I will be satisfied.

0 89
 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Clap Clap Clap Bow Bow Bow

This is one of the best how to tutorials ever! Great info here and easy to make.

Thanks a lot,master!

86 7,123
 09-05-2012, 03:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Bravo!!

This is exactly how I lather up my MWF

Your english is just fine.

Thank you!!

173 23,500
 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
User Info
Jose, very nice write up, thank you. I also enjoyed the video you made a few years ago on the same topic.

0 241
 09-05-2012, 05:58 PM
  • jss
User Info
Well done sir!! Thank you very much....

0 264
 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
Excellent instructions, senhore! Thank you.

75 20,883
 09-06-2012, 04:05 AM
User Info
One of the best tutorials that I've read on lathering MWF.
It is a pleasure to read it again, this time in English Smile

2 5,527
 09-06-2012, 07:52 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
An incredible detailed method on how to make lather with MWF. Thank you so much.

100 12,438
 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
  • ethiel
  • Airman
  • Alexandria, VA.
User Info
Very nice write up. Thanks

1 23
 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Great instructional!

0 95
 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM
  • jvrck
  • Barrack Heights, Australia
User Info
Great tutorial. Thanks!

The Semogue 2000 is a soap eater. Excellent brush!

0 50
 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Jose, thank you for sharing these MWF steps!

I will also take this knowlege to some other *hard* soaps that I have, that have been finicky Thumbup

9 1,684
 11-02-2012, 06:10 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I decided to give my MWF another shot tonight after reading this how to thread today. I've had MWF for over two years and I've always been disappointed with the results. I always ended up with a thin lather that didn't last long. Tonight's shave was awesome though. The lather was thick and slick and it left my face feeling great. I think soaking the puck before the shave made a huge difference. I'm guessing I wasn't picking up enough soap before. I finally get what all the fuss about the Fat is now!

45 3,955
 11-03-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
Great write up Jose, blows the myths of hard water out the window.

I enjoy using MWF in the winter and only face lather it. The key as you mention is the water temp, keep it tepid.

A tip I got from Mantic59 was to load it on the brush upside down. TBH I've not found much of a difference tbh.

MWF also does a hand lotion which works wonders as a post shave balm too.

8 243
 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Very good write up Jose! Nothing at all wrong with your English - every bit as good as many native English speakers I have encountered Wink

I haven't tried MWF, yet. But when I do I will certainly keep your tutorial in mind.

~Frank

18 271
 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM
User Info
I've always had the best success with room temp water and MWF. Thanks for making me feel normal.

129 6,685
 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
A47

I've never been able to figure out why some days I have great results with MWF, other days it's just so-so....or worse.
I'm going to use nothing but this for a few shaves and see if the issue is just me and my habit of using hot water. And of course, I never thought to look up instructions specific to one soap LOL

10 411
 07-12-2013, 11:00 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Great tutorial! It's helped me wonderfully.

Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap is an amazing product. My face stays moisturized all day, and retains a pleasant soft feeling on the skin. The freshly faint scent lasts all day, I love it! The scent reminds me of walking into a health food store, which brings nice memories of my early years in Tucson (when I could afford such luxuries).

I thought it would be a challenge to lather but it’s been easy as long as I take my time, stir briskly, and keep adding water until I get the rich luxurious lather (I prefer to bowl lather). The lather gets so rich I have enough for five passes! I’m still learning how much I need to load the brush, but since I’m a newbie the more the better in order to learn.

Mmmm, Arko and MMF! I LOVE TALLOW SOAPS. I’m becoming a soap man. Soon I’ll be trying TABAC.

1 750
 10-13-2013, 07:12 PM
User Info
(10-13-2013, 08:33 AM)jsab Wrote: i did it. i pulled the trigger and bought mwf in ceramic dish.

now i have to wait for delivery.....

i usually dont fall for packaging and just buy refills....but i guess i was weak...and i clicked the button.

* Congratulations and no shame in that as it is the nicest ceramic dish I have seen! I only wish it were larger to hold my soaps. Enjoy. Smile

75 20,883
 10-16-2013, 07:21 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Excellent tutorial. I also find if you rub the MWF puck directly onto your face like a shaving stick, it lathers like a charm. The lather is even thicker I think!

10 963