06-12-2018, 04:29 PM
User Info
i don't have much experience with wooden handle  brushes, but I have seen a few that I really liked over the years.
I just saw a beautiful Romera brush with a full wooden handle for sale.  I just want to make sure that I won't regret buying it a year from now.  Will the handle hold up long term or am I better off sticking with a resin handle?

Any opinions/advice will be appreciated.

11 105
 06-12-2018, 04:38 PM
User Info
I have 5 romeras.  the very first had fading on the briar black part.  the newer ones not so much.  his brushes still are amazing to me after all these years.  just put some wax on it occasionally.  I use renaissance on all my handles resin and wood

77 1,395
 06-12-2018, 04:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Don’t soak them in water, rotate through them, and you should be okay. I’ve got a half dozen or so wood handle brushes and they’re holding up well. Tbh though, due to the size of my rotation, they only get used about once a month or so. Every so often, if I have a little extra shea butter on my hands after shaving, I’ll rub it in to a handle that’s developed a worn spot on the base.

8 2,749
 06-12-2018, 08:58 PM
User Info
Wood, like most natural materials, can last a very long time if taken care of. The handle should last you a lifetime if you don't abuse it Smile

3 5,343
 06-12-2018, 09:04 PM
User Info
I too used Renaissance Wax on wood brush handles in the past, and they showed no signs of wear and tear at all.

214 12,634
 06-12-2018, 10:12 PM
User Info
If it's anything like expensive cutting boards and the natural wooden handles on expensive Japanese knives, I would recommend a mix of mineral oil and beeswax. It'll not only protect the wood but it'll bring it to life!

2 16
 06-13-2018, 01:31 AM
User Info
Wooden handle brush ?
Wink

[Image: ac4d50de3c534da316f5013e9943e12e.heic]

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

0 116
 06-13-2018, 09:01 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I use wooden brushes all the time and also make them. It all depends on how they are made. Semogue wooden handles are perfectly fine and I have some that are over 5 years old with no signs of damage. When I make wooden shaving brush handles I seal the inside of the knot opening with CA and outside is also sealed with CA, which is then polished to a glass like shine. If I want a more natural looking wood finish I use satin polyurethane and that lasts forever with care. As long as you wipe your brush dry after use you should be able to use a good quality wooden handle just like a resin with no special treatment. Just make sure you wipe it dry after use, which you should do with all brushes regardless of material.

28 1,796