06-13-2018, 09:08 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
[Image: aA5cfIA.jpg]An elegant brush to enhance a superior shave to begin a wonderful evening with an elegant woman.             Handle Style 151 Knot 1804A2F               

I have purchased a few Brad Sears handles in the past but none with any of his knots. It was recently that I read in the Artisan section here at the Nook where Brad discussed his new batch of knots (as well as on his website) that perked up my interest. He discussed the characteristics of these knots and added that he was now using a knot code (influenced by Paladin), as well as providing info on loft and free loft measurements, now this is wondering into Paladin territory. But as I went on to read Brad had asked Ken if he could reference free loft to his knot description, Ken gave his permission.

A little background I have a nice collection of brushes that I've acquired over these many years and on a regular base's intersperse many of these brushes into my rotation. Also, It's no secret that over the last 2 years I've become a big fan of Paladin which is 90% of my brush usage.

I recently purchased a BS 151 with a BS 2 band select (I have no experience with a BS knot before May 2018). This brush has the same resin combination that Brad features on his site with his new knot in a fan. As of today I've used the brush a half dozen times and could not be any more impressed. The brush is a 27.7 2 band select 1804A2F, loft 47 1/2, free loft at 50 (these measurements are from my caliper). The handle is beautifully made and polished to a high shine, density is lovely (I'm a big fan of density), the backbone is medium, the tips feel luxurious, pillow soft like a high thread count (bedding) of extraordinarily fine Egyptian cotton.

I will now make some comparisons (these are only my opinions). I have a few Wiborg's, BS 2 band select knot has a better density and backbone and softer tips. Elite, the density, and backbone are about equal (depending on loft setting) the BS tip feel is softer as if the hairs are of a finer quality (I'm a big fan of Elite knots, top-tier consistent quality, I enjoy their personality, it's an excellent knot). EL Druida feels like a younger brother of BS. Paladin, on the other hand, has a variety of slightly different knots, I believe this to be because of Ken's personal preferences, a man of changing desires. But his knots that are of the soft tip variety like the NL2 and LD4's, have backbone (medium to strong depending on loft), excellent density with luxuriously soft full plushness to its tips, have a personality that is in a world of their own.

Again this is only my opinion, if you're looking at a Thater or Shavemack 2 band silvertip unique, (two well-established companies that deliver superb quality) Brad's new knot 1804A2 (a distinctive knot with luxurious qualities) is superior to both plus you have the added incentive to have this wonderful knot in a beautifully crafted custom handle of your choice or making.

55 682
 06-13-2018, 11:16 AM
User Info
(06-13-2018, 09:08 AM)bijou Wrote: [Image: aA5cfIA.jpg]An elegant brush to enhance a superior shave to begin a wonderful evening with an elegant woman.             Handle Style 151 Knot 1804A2F               

I have purchased a few Brad Sears handles in the past but none with any of his knots. It was recently that I read in the Artisan section here at the Nook where Brad discussed his new batch of knots (as well as on his website) that perked up my interest. He discussed the characteristics of these knots and added that he was now using a knot code (influenced by Paladin), as well as providing info on loft and free loft measurements, now this is wondering into Paladin territory. But as I went on to read Brad had asked Ken if he could reference free loft to his knot description, Ken gave his permission.

A little background I have a nice collection of brushes that I've acquired over these many years and on a regular base's intersperse many of these brushes into my rotation. Also, It's no secret that over the last 2 years I've become a big fan of Paladin which is 90% of my brush usage.

I recently purchased a BS 151 with a BS 2 band select (I have no experience with a BS knot before May 2018). This brush has the same resin combination that Brad features on his site with his new knot in a fan. As of today I've used the brush a half dozen times and could not be any more impressed. The brush is a 27.7 2 band select 1804A2F, loft 47 1/2, free loft at 50 (these measurements are from my caliper). The handle is beautifully made and polished to a high shine, density is lovely (I'm a big fan of density), the backbone is medium, the tips feel luxurious, pillow soft like a high thread count (bedding) of extraordinarily fine Egyptian cotton.

I will now make some comparisons (these are only my opinions). I have a few Wiborg's, BS 2 band select knot has a better density and backbone and softer tips. Elite, the density, and backbone are about equal (depending on loft setting) the BS tip feel is softer as if the hairs are of a finer quality (I'm a big fan of Elite knots, top-tier consistent quality, I enjoy their personality, it's an excellent knot). EL Druida feels like a younger brother of BS. Paladin, on the other hand, has a variety of slightly different knots, I believe this to be because of Ken's personal preferences, a man of changing desires. But his knots that are of the soft tip variety like the NL2 and LD4's, have backbone (medium to strong depending on loft), excellent density with luxuriously soft full plushness to its tips, have a personality that is in a world of their own.

Again this is only my opinion, if you're looking at a Thater or Shavemack 2 band silvertip unique, (two well-established companies that deliver superb quality) Brad's new knot 1804A2 (a distinctive knot with luxurious qualities) is superior to both plus you have the added incentive to have this wonderful knot in a beautifully crafted custom handle of your choice or making.

Huge fan of Brad Sears current batch of 2 band select badger. I have 3 and I would put them up against the best of them and I have most of the good ones. Tips are silky soft and gel like crazy. Also big fan of Elite knots as well. I actually like Elite’s high mountain white badger better than it’s Manchurian. I know most folks love the Elite Manchurian knot but the HIgh Mountain White badger is softer and gels more. Also love Elite’s stone handles as I have 3. Thanks for posting your thoughts!

Also agree with you that Brad’s knots feel like a high end luxury Egyptian cotton or Pima cotton ball. Samething with Elite’s high mountain white badger but I believe Brad’s knot is slighty better.

4 236
 06-13-2018, 11:27 AM
User Info
Here are my 3. All less than 1 month old. I believe I am going to have Brad make me a Rooney like beehive handle with a fan knot next.

[Image: Nmkoy4M.jpg]

4 236
 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Beautiful brushes. Are the fans and bulb from the same batch code? If so is there any difference in the backbone, density, and tip feel between the fan and bulb?

55 682
 06-13-2018, 12:15 PM
User Info
(06-13-2018, 12:01 PM)bijou Wrote: Beautiful brushes. Are the fans and bulb from the same batch code? If so is there any difference in the backbone, density, and tip feel between the fan and bulb?

To be honest with you I don’t know but they all feel pretty much the same which is luxurious! There is a little more backbone on the bulb as it doesn’t splay as much as the fan or bloom like the fan. I like the fans better though.

4 236
 06-13-2018, 12:40 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(06-13-2018, 12:15 PM)discerningbev Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 12:01 PM)bijou Wrote: Beautiful brushes. Are the fans and bulb from the same batch code? If so is there any difference in the backbone, density, and tip feel between the fan and bulb?

To be honest with you I don’t know but they all feel pretty much the same which is luxurious! There is a little more backbone on the bulb as it doesn’t splay as much as the fan or bloom like the fan. I like the fans better though.

Thanks

55 682
 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM
User Info
Again this is only my opinion, if you're looking at a Thater or Shavemack 2 band silvertip unique, (two well-established companies that deliver superb quality) Brad's new knot 1804A2 (a distinctive knot with luxurious qualities) is superior to both plus you have the added incentive to have this wonderful knot in a beautifully crafted custom handle of your choice or making.(Bijou wrote)

I agree, I was just thinking about this today. Brad and Paladin are better than  Thater and Shavemac, in my opinion.

1 875
 06-13-2018, 01:53 PM
User Info
Brads knots remind me a little of Declaration knots. Brads are a little more softer and Declaration’s are a little more dense and have a little more backbone but in my opinion I would put Declaration #1, Brad #2 and Paladin #3. Thater and Shavemac are good but just a little behind them. I am more prone to fan knots with very soft tips which is why I probably rate them that way. I also love Elite Razors High Mountain White knots!

4 236
 06-13-2018, 02:15 PM
User Info
@biijou How do your Wiborg’s compare to Brad Sears, Declaration, Paladin, Elite Razor, etc......

4 236
 06-13-2018, 06:19 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(06-13-2018, 02:15 PM)discerningbev Wrote: @biijou  How do your Wiborg’s compare to Brad Sears, Declaration, Paladin, Elite Razor, etc......o
In my answer I am only comparing 2 band knots. BS 1804A2 knot, in my opinion, is what Wiborg wanted to be. I have 2 28-29's that that border on floppy nice tips but not BS. This BS knot is excellent in all respect for anyone looking for medium backbone, good density with flow through and silky soft tips. I do not use the word gel because I have a few truly gel tip brushes but because they are lacking in decent backbone and density I do not use them (I do have a few TGN's that are gel that I use).

Declaration makes a nice knot I like the B1 good backbone soft tips that give a good soft finger massage, relax's my face muscles. The B2 is also a nice knot a little less backbone. Elite is different, nice moderate backbone, soft tips robust feel, superb leathering. 5 years ago this knot would have set a standard to be obtained. Today its still a good standard to judge other knots by. Paladin is quite unique with a variety of different knots in various loft settings, it dosesn't matter if the brush has super soft tips or has soft tip presences (which I also like) the lathering is always robust. I like the soothing gentle message that most Paladins give. Now if I want scrub I have two Paladins that would send scrub freaks into a blissful frenzy.

Going back to BS current knot. I have just ordered a 2nd and for the type of knot that it is, it is a slice of heaven that I don't want to chase when there are no more.

I hope I have answered your questions

55 682
 06-14-2018, 02:27 AM
User Info
(06-13-2018, 06:19 PM)bijou Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 02:15 PM)discerningbev Wrote: @biijou  How do your Wiborg’s compare to Brad Sears, Declaration, Paladin, Elite Razor, etc......o
In my answer I am only comparing 2 band knots. BS 1804A2 knot, in my opinion, is what Wiborg wanted to be. I have 2 28-29's that that border on floppy nice tips but not BS. This BS knot is excellent in all respect for anyone looking for medium backbone, good density with flow through and silky soft tips. I do not use the word gel because I have a few truly gel tip brushes but because they are lacking in decent backbone and density I do not use them (I do have a few TGN's that are gel that I use).

Declaration makes a nice knot I like the B1 good backbone soft tips that give a good soft finger massage, relax's my face muscles. The B2 is also a nice knot a little less backbone. Elite is different, nice moderate backbone, soft tips robust feel, superb leathering. 5 years ago this knot would have set a standard to be obtained. Today its still a good standard to judge other knots by. Paladin is quite unique with a variety of different knots in various loft settings, it dosesn't matter if the brush has super soft tips or has soft tip presences (which I also like) the lathering is always robust. I like the soothing gentle message that most Paladins give. Now if I want scrub I have two Paladins that would send scrub freaks into a blissful frenzy.

Going back to BS current knot. I have just ordered a 2nd and for the type of knot that it is, it is a slice of heaven that I don't want to chase when there are no more.

I hope I have answered your questions

Thanks! And yes you have answered my question.  I agree BS is a nice balance of medium backbone and super, super soft tips without being floppy.

4 236
 06-14-2018, 01:11 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've been communicating with Brad concerning his knots and I have my first of his coming. A Wanderer in lapis lazuli with his new 2 Band Select in a fan shape. I look forward to getting  a few others of his and a couple more M&F brushes as well. I've gotten a few from Lee and never ever had problems with getting  fast replies but I  understand that he only deals through Brad now? That's  fine with me. I've finally convinced my brother  to sell our parents house that came to the two of us but he's been living in the past three years so I'll  be indulging  myself some. If I can find one or two old Rooney Finests I  may even.... but I  have no idea what $ to expect on those. By the way that two color Sears brush pictured in the op is on my list as well.  Bee uuu too freaking  full!

8 2,531
 06-14-2018, 01:54 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(06-14-2018, 01:11 PM)Mouser Wrote: I've been communicating with Brad concerning his knots and I have my first of his coming. A Wanderer in lapis lazuli with his new 2 Band Select in a fan shape. I look forward to getting  a few others of his and a couple more M&F brushes as well. I've gotten a few from Lee and never ever had problems with getting  fast replies but I  understand that he only deals through Brad now? That's  fine with me. I've finally convinced my brother  to sell our parents house that came to the two of us but he's been living in the past three years so I'll  be indulging  myself some. If I can find one or two old Rooney Finests I  may even.... but I  have no idea what $ to expect on those. By the way that two color Sears brush pictured in the op is on my list as well.  Bee uuu too freaking  full!

You just missed a Rooney finest listed on the BST a few days ago. The asking price was $625.

26 704
 06-15-2018, 03:57 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(06-14-2018, 01:54 PM)NJDJ Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 01:11 PM)Mouser Wrote: I've been communicating with Brad concerning his knots and I have my first of his coming. A Wanderer in lapis lazuli with his new 2 Band Select in a fan shape. I look forward to getting  a few others of his and a couple more M&F brushes as well. I've gotten a few from Lee and never ever had problems with getting  fast replies but I  understand that he only deals through Brad now? That's  fine with me. I've finally convinced my brother  to sell our parents house that came to the two of us but he's been living in the past three years so I'll  be indulging  myself some. If I can find one or two old Rooney Finests I  may even.... but I  have no idea what $ to expect on those. By the way that two color Sears brush pictured in the op is on my list as well.  Bee uuu too freaking  full!

You just missed a Rooney finest listed on the BST a few days ago. The asking price was $625.

Damn, couldn't get it yet anyways. At that price it's going to have to be one of my favorites like a style 1 any size or a style 2 or 3 size 1, 2 at the biggest. I don't care as much for the Emillion or Victorian.  I tried to find it just for a look in the BST archives but no luck.

8 2,531
 06-28-2018, 03:11 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
[Image: YIzfNht.jpg]
Quote:[Image: pF6Kzkw.jpg]
Well, here it is. After deciding long ago that I was going to stick to Rooneys and M&F I saw a brush exactly like this on BST but by time I made up my mind it was gone. Since my previous purchase was a three band Rooney I got this in Brad's new two band Select. I'll use it later this morning and try to post a report if I can.

8 2,531
 06-28-2018, 05:12 AM
User Info
Congrats on the brush. I think you will enjoy that handle shape, I know I do mine...…. Smile 
Interested in your opinion on the knot, got one in the works...... Icon_popcorn

1 875
 06-28-2018, 10:01 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
The brush to the right is my new BS Knight 28 in Coral, a single Amber ring with the select 1804A2F, this brush has moderate backbone with the softest of tips. To the left is a 151 28 with the same 1804A2F knot, this brush has medium backbone with the softest of tips. I could not be any more pleased.

Now, this is a hard decision, which one do I want to buy? 
[Image: ddnnDf1.jpg]Photo; Vivian Miaer

55 682
 07-04-2018, 08:28 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
2013 M&F Paladin 26 Tortoise Chief with a Brad Sears 1804A2F knot

In the past, I would not have considered altering an M&F especially an LE issue. What I did do was sell off the ones I didn't like either because of size or I didn't like the knot. But with so many being made and available today I had no issue in improving this brush the B&B LE Chief (Ken's design) and Lee's knot (for me beyond scritch).

I had no intention of selling the Chief 26 but wanted to improve this brush with a knot I liked when one came along. Well, I found such a knot in Bred Sears select 1804A2F. This knot has soft medium backbone with the softest of tips. Thank you Brad.

Photo Vivian Maier
[Image: TuxjjD2.jpg]

55 682
 07-06-2018, 03:05 PM
User Info
Just got word, my new brush is ready.... Aaaaa 
[Image: xo1puvQ.jpg]

1 875
 07-10-2018, 05:15 AM
User Info
(07-06-2018, 03:05 PM)zipper Wrote: Just got word, my new brush is ready.... Aaaaa 
[Image: xo1puvQ.jpg]

New brush arrived yesterday... Shaving 
Used it today, I now know and understand...... Angel 
I have a modest collection of brushes (15) nothing like many here.
I've got Kent,Paladin, Shavemac, Thater,Vie-Long, SV.02...…... Rolleyes 
BUT....This brush IS THE BEST.. Bow 
The tips, are as soft as a feather. I look in the mirror, I see the lather
forming on my face....I see the brush rubbing on my face. That's it!!
Magic...it's SHAVING TIME.... A47 
This is... Number_one

1 875