07-25-2018, 10:09 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
Gentlemen,

To hopefully calm the waters, the popularity of our 28mm Select Fans took us quite by surprise.  Seeing them basically flying out the door, we ordered more (same hair, same specs) about a month ago.  I received an email from the maker this morning saying they plan to ship more 28mm Select Fans, along with more 26mm 3-band Super Badger Hybrids (another knot that that's been very well received) next week.  If that happens as promised and the shipment wends its way through Customs, Fish & Wildlife, et al. without too many delays, we hope(!) to see them in about three weeks.

When they arrive, I still need to test a random sampling to be sure they compare favorably with the 1804's.  That will take at least a few days.  The point is this:  we've worked long and hard to get to this level of acceptance in the community; so we don't want to ruin it now.

If you're willing to "roll the dice," you may certainly order a 28mm 2-band Select Fan now with the understanding that (a) if the knots don't pass muster, we will give you the option of refunding your deposit or selecting another knot or (b) if the knots are as we hope, we will fill your order in the order in which it's received.

In the meantime, yes:  we have a good supply of 1804 26mm Fans and Bulbs and 28mm Bulbs.  (And, if anyone's interested in a special treat, you might consider one of our 28mm Supers.  Candidly, as much as I like the 2-band Selects, a 28mm 3-band Super Bulb has become, along with a 28mm M&F Finest, one of my two "go-to" brushes.)

I hope this helps.

Know that Nancy and I appreciate all your kind words and offer our best wishes for a good day.

4 814
 07-25-2018, 10:26 AM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
Thank you for the great post, Brad!! I know for me when I heard you were running low on stock in the 28mm fans, it only led to more excitement for trying one in the near future. With artisans running a business around handmade products, that type of situation is understood and expected, especially when they are generating the kind of response your great work is!

31 323
 07-25-2018, 12:13 PM
User Info
Glad I purchased the Brad Sears DFS LE Fan when I did.  The knot seemed to be out of stock shortly after.  So far I have found I am more of a Bulb or Hybrid lover.  Although as I have learned with many over hobbies over the years sometimes I need to give it time to open up to something new.  We'll see if I warm up to the Fan, but very happy to have purchase one of the 28mm 1804 Fans to try it with.

5 21
 08-09-2018, 02:11 PM
User Info
[Image: xGd1sF5.jpg]
The GONZO....28 mm. in Malachite.
My 1804A2 in 28mm is finished and will shortly mailed. If you have followed this thread,you know this was the last of the 28mm fans in this batch of knots.

1 1,034
 08-09-2018, 03:13 PM
  • N8Julo43
  • Red Whisker Wrangler
  • Mizzou-RAH, USA
User Info
(08-09-2018, 02:11 PM)zipper Wrote: [Image: xGd1sF5.jpg]
My 1804A2 in 28mm is finished and will shortly mailed. If you have followed this thread,you know this was the last of the 28mm fans in this batch of knots.

Gorgeous! I hope you enjoy it!

I just received notice that my brush has been completed, as well.

Preacher, Ebony over Tigris
26mm 2-Band Select Fan

[Image: lQuf8Js.jpg]
[Image: gOqHgBo.jpg]

31 323
 08-09-2018, 03:17 PM
User Info

Nice! I think that's the tallest Malachite handle I've seen. That extra height really helps the brain to realize how amazing it is!

33 938
 08-09-2018, 03:17 PM
User Info
(08-09-2018, 03:13 PM)N8Julo43 Wrote:

Gorgeous! I hope you enjoy it!

I just received notice that my brush has been completed, as well.

Preacher, Ebony over Tigris
26mm 2-Band Select Fan

[Image: lQuf8Js.jpg]
Beautiful! That Ebony shines! Like a mirror.

1 1,034
 08-09-2018, 03:22 PM
User Info
You take some amazing photos of your brushes Brad!

33 938
 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(08-09-2018, 03:22 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: You take some amazing photos of your brushes Brad!

Thanks, Joe.  Getting what I would consider acceptable quality photos has been a long road as I'm not even close to being a professional photographer.  I'm still not completely happy with these, but I believe they're getting closer.  The Gonzo (above) and brushes with light- or brightly-colored resins aren't too bad, but those with dark, highly reflective surfaces, like the Ebony/Tigris Preachers shown here have driven me almost to distraction.  (Of course, if any pros reading this would care to send PMs with suggestions, they would be most welcome!)

4 814
 08-25-2018, 11:20 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Very pleased with my latest acquisition: Knight, 28mm Select Badger, Fan.
The handle work is exquisite and the knot very soft tipped.

[Image: hP7gtD2.jpg]

43 2,060
 08-25-2018, 02:21 PM
User Info
Came Friday, used today. Another fantastic brush!! Hats off to Brad Sears & Company.  Euro 

1 1,034
 08-27-2018, 01:51 AM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
Wonderful brush - I love the balance between backbone and flow-through.
Very versatile and always a pleasure to use.

[Image: 41343835740_d4ea18b5c6_z.jpg]

1 101
 09-08-2018, 03:54 AM
User Info
Arrived Friday. First run with the L-7 with clear and silver frosted handle.
[Image: Zqwp94H.jpg]
Another great BSSW contribution to the shaving world.

1 1,034
 09-08-2018, 07:23 PM
User Info
(09-08-2018, 03:54 AM)zipper Wrote: Arrived Friday. First run with the L-7 with clear and silver frosted handle.

How’s the new batch of 28mm select fans?

1 118
 09-09-2018, 03:27 AM
User Info
(09-08-2018, 07:23 PM)Kehole Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 03:54 AM)zipper Wrote: Arrived Friday. First run with the L-7 with clear and silver frosted handle.

How’s the new batch of 28mm select fans?
I've only had the one shave, Honestly I can't tell a difference.

1 1,034
 02-15-2019, 11:56 AM
User Info
There should honestly be WAY more posts on this thread, Brad's brushes are flat-out incredible!

[Image: VFCkPJy.jpg]

Just looks at this. The 28mm Fan he did for DFS (I'd kill to have it in Bulb)

[Image: ILBLR98.jpg]

One of the Densest Fan knots I've used that still has perfect flow.
[Image: STyfjcp.jpg]

3 54
 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM
User Info
I ordered a Chichester with a 26mm super badger hybrid knot this morning.

0 159
 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM
User Info
Another of my favorite brushes happens to be a Brad Sears:

[Image: FOBS5j2.jpg]

His 28mm bulb knots are absolutely insane! "Brick of Badger" as Uncle Dubya once said, and I can't get enough of em!

[Image: 59O2MiK.jpg]

3 54
 02-16-2019, 07:31 PM
User Info
Real nice brushes and knots !

(06-13-2018, 11:16 AM)discerningbev Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 09:08 AM)bijou Wrote: [Image: aA5cfIA.jpg]An elegant brush to enhance a superior shave to begin a wonderful evening with an elegant woman.             Handle Style 151 Knot 1804A2F               

I have purchased a few Brad Sears handles in the past but none with any of his knots. It was recently that I read in the Artisan section here at the Nook where Brad discussed his new batch of knots (as well as on his website) that perked up my interest. He discussed the characteristics of these knots and added that he was now using a knot code (influenced by Paladin), as well as providing info on loft and free loft measurements, now this is wondering into Paladin territory. But as I went on to read Brad had asked Ken if he could reference free loft to his knot description, Ken gave his permission.

A little background I have a nice collection of brushes that I've acquired over these many years and on a regular base's intersperse many of these brushes into my rotation. Also, It's no secret that over the last 2 years I've become a big fan of Paladin which is 90% of my brush usage.

I recently purchased a BS 151 with a BS 2 band select (I have no experience with a BS knot before May 2018). This brush has the same resin combination that Brad features on his site with his new knot in a fan. As of today I've used the brush a half dozen times and could not be any more impressed. The brush is a 27.7 2 band select 1804A2F, loft 47 1/2, free loft at 50 (these measurements are from my caliper). The handle is beautifully made and polished to a high shine, density is lovely (I'm a big fan of density), the backbone is medium, the tips feel luxurious, pillow soft like a high thread count (bedding) of extraordinarily fine Egyptian cotton.

I will now make some comparisons (these are only my opinions). I have a few Wiborg's, BS 2 band select knot has a better density and backbone and softer tips. Elite, the density, and backbone are about equal (depending on loft setting) the BS tip feel is softer as if the hairs are of a finer quality (I'm a big fan of Elite knots, top-tier consistent quality, I enjoy their personality, it's an excellent knot). EL Druida feels like a younger brother of BS. Paladin, on the other hand, has a variety of slightly different knots, I believe this to be because of Ken's personal preferences, a man of changing desires. But his knots that are of the soft tip variety like the NL2 and LD4's, have backbone (medium to strong depending on loft), excellent density with luxuriously soft full plushness to its tips, have a personality that is in a world of their own.

Again this is only my opinion, if you're looking at a Thater or Shavemack 2 band silvertip unique, (two well-established companies that deliver superb quality) Brad's new knot 1804A2 (a distinctive knot with luxurious qualities) is superior to both plus you have the added incentive to have this wonderful knot in a beautifully crafted custom handle of your choice or making.

Huge fan of Brad Sears current batch of 2 band select badger. I have 3 and I would put them up against the best of them and I have most of the good ones. Tips are silky soft and gel like crazy. Also big fan of Elite knots as well. I actually like Elite’s high mountain white badger better than it’s Manchurian. I know most folks love the Elite Manchurian knot but the HIgh Mountain White badger is softer and gels more. Also love Elite’s stone handles as I have 3. Thanks for posting your thoughts!

Also agree with you that Brad’s knots feel like a high end luxury Egyptian cotton or Pima cotton ball. Samething with Elite’s high mountain white badger but I believe Brad’s knot is slighty better.

1 26
 02-18-2019, 10:31 AM
User Info
(02-16-2019, 07:28 PM)GnosticShaver Wrote: Another of my favorite brushes happens to be a Brad Sears:

[Image: FOBS5j2.jpg]

His 28mm bulb knots are absolutely insane! "Brick of Badger" as Uncle Dubya once said, and I can't get enough of em!

[Image: 59O2MiK.jpg]
Which handle is that?

0 159