06-14-2018, 11:25 AM
User Info
I don't always have time during the week to shave in the morning before leaving for work, so I typically shave at night prior to going to bed.  Well, there are times, like this week, where I go a few days without shaving for one reason or another.  This week I went about four or five days, so yesterday I picked up a can of Gillette Foam Barbershop Fresh Shave Foam from Target.  I shaved with it this morning using my Merkur 34c loaded with a Rapira Swedish Stainless Steel blade.

I got a decent enough shave with it.  I hadn't used actual shaving foam from a can in a couple of years until this morning, and it went a wee bit quicker than usual because I didn't do my usual third and fourth pass on my neck (I had to catch the bus by a certain time, and I was already running late because one of my roommates had to use the toilet).  But the lather was slick enough and the scent really did remind me of a barber shop lather.  I still prefer shave soaps and creams such as Taylor of Old Bond Street, but if I'm in a hurry and haven't the time to whip up a lather from my stash, this seems like a decent go-to.

Has anyone else used this stuff?  What were your thoughts?

0 109
 06-15-2018, 01:57 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I haven't used canned foam in five years. I have no idea what's out there now, I don't even go down the shaving aisles at stores anymore.

8 2,495
 06-15-2018, 02:48 AM
User Info
Haven't used any can in years. I've thought about buying one, just to see how it works.
You know...do I put it on the brush, or in my hand.   Cool

0 518
 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM
User Info
Gillette Foamy Barbershop has a terrific scent. Amber, citrus, powder. Think of Vitos Aftershaving splash from Italy. The scent also sticks around longer than most canned foams. I wish there were a lather cream or a soap with that scent. It is really excellent. The foam performs no different than any other version of Foamy, however. It's OK.

0 19
 06-16-2018, 11:24 PM
User Info
(06-15-2018, 08:10 PM)Jacobite Wrote: Gillette Foamy Barbershop has a terrific scent. Amber, citrus, powder. Think of Vitos Aftershaving splash from Italy. The scent also sticks around longer than most canned foams. I wish there were a lather cream or a soap with that scent. It is really excellent. The foam performs no different than any other version of Foamy, however. It's OK.

I'm also looking for something that has the same scent. Is the Vitos exactly the same?

1 14
 06-17-2018, 12:45 AM
User Info
I haven't used canned foam or gel in... hmm... okay, now I feel old Tongue

All my previous experience leads me to believe that it'll leave me with dry skin. Perhaps the formulations have gotten better, or perhaps the rest of you have less delicate skin Smile More power to y'all if you can use it and get a good shave, that is what it's all about!

Several of my coworkers use canned goo in their GoBag to "save space". I find it funny that my travel brush and shave stick packs smaller than their travel-sized can Biggrin

3 5,538
 06-17-2018, 05:05 AM
User Info
(06-17-2018, 12:45 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I haven't used canned foam or gel in... hmm... okay, now I feel old Tongue

All my previous experience leads me to believe that it'll leave me with dry skin. Perhaps the formulations have gotten better, or perhaps the rest of you have less delicate skin Smile More power to y'all if you can use it and get a good shave, that is what it's all about!

Several of my coworkers use canned goo in their GoBag to "save space". I find it funny that my travel brush and shave stick packs smaller than their travel-sized can Biggrin

It's definitely not something I would use unless I was in a hurry and didn't have time to whip up a lather from soap or cream.  I figure, however, that if I must use foam from a can, Gillette brand would be the one to go with.  I'm done with gels: they're pretty much worthless and way overpriced for what they do.

0 109