06-16-2018, 05:44 AM
User Info
So I've never gone searching for vintage shave gear. I've familiarized with a lot of the Gillette DE models if not all of them. Are there others that would be great vintage finds or is Gillette pretty much what I'm likely to find in the Sacramento and Surrounding Areas. Also I'll be looking for brushes of course are their any specific ones I should really be on the lookout for. I'm hoping to find some items to restore for personal use and possibly trade.

0 5
 06-16-2018, 06:30 AM
User Info
Good luck in your hunt!

53 8,002
 06-16-2018, 11:48 AM
User Info
Admittedly I'm in a small (emphasis on small) market so only one of the local dealers has a reasonable stock of shave stuff at fair prices. He has mostly "normal" Gillettes some straights and a few Old Spice mugs. His store generally carries good quality items (all stock not just shaving). Most of the other stores tend more toward, um, less desirable and lower quality things. Interestingly enough the shops with lower quality items tended to have higher to crazy prices. One had a really beat up Gillette for $50 and a really nasty looking straight for $200. I did find a Gem in one of the other shops though. From my experience it is all pretty much luck of the draw and what an individual dealer may prefer to carry. Good luck with the search.

Dave

1 131
 06-16-2018, 04:04 PM
User Info
Make sure and ask.

Some shops don't put personal hygiene items out. Like razors or brushes. A lot of times I have been told, "yeah we have a box of that stuff in the back."

11 1,619
 06-16-2018, 04:37 PM
User Info
(06-16-2018, 04:04 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Make sure and ask.

Some shops don't put personal hygiene items out. Like razors or brushes. A lot of times I have been told, "yeah we have a box of that stuff in the back."

I have read this before possibly on this forum. Thank you for the reminder though. Unfortunately, I had to post my search to another day! Hopefully next Saturday!

0 5
 06-17-2018, 02:05 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'm not sure why this thread is under the Brushes but I will say I inherited some vintage Gillettes and a Schick and I sent them out to a revamping place and I bought a few through them and some on Ebay that were in almost mint condition. I also have gotten a lifetime of NOS vintage blades there . Took a long time to get the blades at prices that match or even beat modern prices, bid low and be willing to lose most of the auctions. As for vintage brushes, I acquired most of mine from a fellow shave forum member,  George  Carrington or Ebay and then sent them to Mr. Carrington for reknotting.

8 2,514
 06-17-2018, 08:07 PM
User Info
(06-17-2018, 02:05 AM)Mouser Wrote: "I'm not sure why this thread is under the Brushes"

Truthfully I don't either accept I am mainly interested in find brushes more so that razors and that was on my mind at the time.

Mod, please move this to a more correct category since this is wrong one and I apologize for that.

0 5
 06-18-2018, 02:56 AM
User Info
(06-17-2018, 08:07 PM)TomAllyn Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 02:05 AM)Mouser Wrote: "I'm not sure why this thread is under the Brushes"

Truthfully I don't either accept I am mainly interested in find brushes more so that razors and that was on my mind at the time.

Mod, please move this to a more correct category since this is wrong one and I apologize for that.

The initial post dealt with going antiquing for vintage shaving gear, and mentioned both brushes and razors.  I previously moved it to General Shaving Discussion.

53 8,002