06-16-2018, 06:50 AM
User Info
Like many of us, I have a touch of soap acquisition disorder.  This year I have been practicing a simple approch to managing my SAD, which I'd like to share.

Problem: I have plenty of soap (I estimate a 6-7 year supply currently in house) but I still want to buy more.  This year I began following a simple strategy: every time I kill two soaps, I am allowed to buy one replacement. The plan is to follow this rule till I get my stash down to a dozen or so tubs.

So much for the startegy, but there is a tactical problem. If I were to give in to my impulse to whimsically jump from soap to soap, I might go years steadily decreasing soap levels across many tubs, but killing nothing.  But I need to kill soaps to buy soaps, per the strategy above. Hmmm....

I decided to pick what I call a  'target soap'. The idea is that every time I want to switch soaps, I first need to shave with the target soap.  For example, today's soap was Grooming Dept Magnolia (a big favorite).  I can keep shaving with it as long as I want, but once I decide to switch to something else, I first have to shave with the current designated target soap.  The upshot is that the more I cater to my love of variety, the more often I hit the target soap.  

About a month ago I killed my first target soap, a tub of L&L Trismegistus. The current target soap is tub of Cade Rich cream, which is about halfway gone.  Later this year, once the Cade is finished, I plan to pick up something new.  Am looking at Catie's Bubbles Gardenia, or maybe Abbate Y La Mantia 'Don Jose'.  BTW, if you have tried the.latter, I'd love to hear about it.

There you have it. Two simple rules that try to balance my need for variety, my desire to trim my soap collection, and my impulse to buy new soaps.  
  • To buy one, first kill two.
  • To switch soaps, first hit the target soap.
There is an implied third rule: once a soap is designated as the target soap, it remains so until completely exhausted. Otherwise I could get back to arbitrary switching by just changing the target soap daily.

Anyone else have some SAD management tips, comments, or suggestions?

David

2 23
 06-16-2018, 07:05 AM
User Info
My wife once said I had enough soaps to last for the rest of my life. At the time I had 12 years of soaps left. Not a good omen.
SAD support groups now forming in your area.
Some quotes that come to mind:
Carpe diem.
Too much ain't enough.
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

52 1,162
 06-16-2018, 07:22 AM
User Info
(06-16-2018, 07:05 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: My wife once said I had enough soaps to last for the rest of my life. At the time I had 12 years of soaps left. Not a good omen.
SAD support groups now forming in your area.
Some quotes that come to mind:
Carpe diem.
Too much ain't enough.
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Add to your quotes,
We are not alone...…. Rolleyes 
I suffer with this horrible affliction, I live and suffer in silence.... Sad

0 401
 06-16-2018, 07:31 AM
User Info
Well, I don't know if I'm disordered enough, I just have twenty soaps between pucks and sticks, but for the time being, I am doing my best to resist temptation. The "2x1" rule has worked for me in the past and I am currently adhering to it. My goal is to have no more than 12 pieces, that should include MWF, MdC and Tabac, and another three for winter. Then another three for Spring and another three for summertime.

0 186
 06-16-2018, 07:32 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoy my SAD and I don't want to change it. Trying a variety of soaps and scents is what makes this hobby fun. Otherwise, I'd stay off the forums.

38 5,543
 06-16-2018, 08:22 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I was doing better. That is replacing one that was nearly done with two new ones. With that method, your stash continues to grow but you save on shipping. Unfortunately, a month ago XPEC stopped being available and a dealer was going out of business and was offering 25% off on XPEC. I now have enough soap to shave all the men in Rhode Island and enough left over for a few hairy women.

77 1,144
 06-16-2018, 08:29 AM
User Info
First thing I did was to get rid of all the soaps that I didn't enjoy, which brought my supply down considerably.  I then did something similar to what OP did.  I'm now left with soaps that I enjoy using but a few of them will not be replaced.  I'm hoping to keep around a dozen soap or less.

19 490
 06-16-2018, 09:05 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Agree with others - any soap not used for 1 year should be removed (PIF, B/S/T, etc).  Maybe even 6-9 months time period.

There are some soaps which rank as "must have".   These are not SAD related so feel good about your purchase.  Set a goal to use up in xx months.  

While SAD is far superior to drug addiction, try and limit "nice to have" to sale prices.  At least your credit card payment is less.

If going to the pub or taproom increases your implulse to buy, drink more as your focus on the screen will be blurry and keystrokes not accurate.
If going to the pub or taproom decreases your implulse to buy, drink more and enjoy overcoming SAD.

8 601
 06-16-2018, 11:10 AM
User Info
(06-16-2018, 09:05 AM)SCOV Wrote: Agree with others - any soap not used for 1 year should be removed (PIF, B/S/T, etc).  Maybe even 6-9 months time period.

There are some soaps which rank as "must have".   These are not SAD related so feel good about your purchase.  Set a goal to use up in xx months.  

While SAD is far superior to drug addiction, try and limit "nice to have" to sale prices.  At least your credit card payment is less.

If going to the pub or taproom increases your implulse to buy, drink more as your focus on the screen will be blurry and keystrokes not accurate.
If going to the pub or taproom decreases your implulse to buy, drink more and enjoy overcoming SAD.

Imagine if this was about guitars, watches, pens, motorcycles, cars...

52 1,162
 06-16-2018, 03:16 PM
User Info
My wife told me that "you have enough soap to last the rest of your life, buy one more and you'll have enough to last ten lifetimes."

0 314
 06-17-2018, 05:30 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
My SAD just kind of wound down and besides I replaced it with vintage blades acquisition disorder and now that one is winding down too. A big part is as my condition gets worse I'm enjoying my shaves less and less. I currently have about 20 soaps and 20 creams. Part of all my disorders is a vintage component that grew slowly as I found out by experience how good they are. Close to half of my creams and soaps and all of my razors and blades that I use are vintage and that helps keep a handle on things because there's not many available.

8 2,485
 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(06-16-2018, 07:32 AM)evnpar Wrote: I enjoy my SAD and I don't want to change it. Trying a variety of soaps and scents is what makes this hobby fun. Otherwise, I'd stay off the forums.
You made my day, Richard Smile

And I agree %

80 3,342
 06-24-2018, 11:09 AM
User Info
What's been helping me is a two-pronged approach:

1) Not looking at stores, so I dunno what new options are out there

2) Using one soap a week without repeating. This helps because it keeps me pretty fresh on new things, and also because when it takes 9 months to rotate through, it helps you realize how much you have! The Soap-a-Week (come join us!) also works for me because as I'm rotating through, I sometimes think "I should use X or Y" and that helps me realize which are my favorites.

6 938
 06-24-2018, 12:32 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(06-18-2018, 06:02 PM)Nero Wrote:
(06-16-2018, 07:32 AM)evnpar Wrote: I enjoy my SAD and I don't want to change it. Trying a variety of soaps and scents is what makes this hobby fun. Otherwise, I'd stay off the forums.

And I agree %

+100

62 1,726
 06-24-2018, 12:43 PM
User Info
+1
(06-24-2018, 12:32 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(06-18-2018, 06:02 PM)Nero Wrote:

And I agree %

+100

+1

52 1,162
 06-26-2018, 06:12 AM
User Info
I have taken the pledge to not buy any soap until I use up what I have in stock. I have 35 pucks of Williams, 20sticks of Arko, 3 sticks of Palmolive, 3 pucks of Tabac and a partial of GCS, l’m 66 so I’ll never buy soap again.

0 3