06-16-2018, 08:50 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(as requested in the Mattress thread)

I have allergies so always purchased hypo-allergenic pillows (no feathers) and not a pillow expert.  I did spend too many hours researching pillows on-line.

My recent purchase to match my new foam matress was on Amazon  "Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam" pillow.  The advantage was "adjustable" (re-movable foam" and I took out 20%).  Pillow is still possibly too high but sleeps cool and firm.  I saved the foam for use later if needed.

My other pillow is a Danish Fossflakes - probably my only really good purchase on KS 3 years ago. Washes nice and reacts more like a typical pillow (soft not firm).  If reasonable price - I really liked the pillow.

Best option is try some pillows and maybe a moderate amount of on-line reseach.  I will admit to liking the firm memory foam pillow and happy with the Fossflakes softer pillow.  Everyone is different.

9 653
 06-16-2018, 09:30 AM
User Info
Good....I was waiting for this. About 10-12 years ago I had to replace a very expensive down pillow. I made the mistake of
believing an ad that a down pillow could be cleaned by a "professional" cleaner. So, I found the Japanese style of pillow
filled with Buckwheat hulls. They had them on TV years earlier as Sobikia or something like that. Well, pretty heavy, slightly
softer than a rock, smaller than a regular pillow (due to the weight I think) Took a few weeks to get the hang of using it.
Yes, it has a "learning" curve, but I love It. I can empty it out, wash the pillow, fill it back up. About two months ago, I
ordered a bag of refill from Amazon. Just dumped the old, washed the shell and added the new hulls. I added a hand of
dried Lavender too. I can't use a regular pillow after having the Buckwheat pillow. Don't think it's for everybody, but it's
perfect for me..... Wink

0 673
 06-18-2018, 03:55 PM
User Info
Been reading the details and nuances of pillows now, gee whiz it never ends!  With the idea of needing to be able to shove support under the neck I need a down pillow or something in synthetic that can be adjusted, fluffed, punch and pulled.  Haven't landed on anything yet but the better pillow of the two I use is a Pacific Coast 75/25 down vs feather bought from Costco years ago.  

SWMBO dug up a Ikea 25/75 down vs feather that worked ok good last night.  Pacific Coast  has a 60/40 available...

1 161
 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM
User Info
(06-18-2018, 03:55 PM)old school Wrote: Been reading the details and nuances of pillows now, gee whiz it never ends!  With the idea of needing to be able to shove support under the neck I need a down pillow or something in synthetic that can be adjusted, fluffed, punch and pulled.  Haven't landed on anything yet but the better pillow of the two I use is a Pacific Coast 75/25 down vs feather bought from Costco years ago.  

SWMBO dug up a Ikea 25/75 down vs feather that worked ok good last night.  Pacific Coast  has a 60/40 available...

Pacific Coast down was the brand I mentioned as being destroyed by a professional cleaner. It was a great pillow.

0 673
 06-18-2018, 04:26 PM
User Info
I have a tempurpedic pillow that has a dust mite cover on it.  works great, perfect size.

0 317
 06-19-2018, 06:29 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(06-18-2018, 04:26 PM)asiliski Wrote: I have a tempurpedic pillow that has a dust mite cover on it.  works great, perfect size.

I also use a dust mite cover - allergies and probably cleaner pillow.

I can sleep on any pillow, however, I also started to understand the characteristics of various pillows - sleeps warm, firm, head sinks in pillow, etc.

9 653