Poll: Shave Sticks -Love Them or Hate Them?
 03-14-2012, 07:07 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I often recommend shave sticks to new wet shavers because I find them easier than soap pucks for those new to using a brush. Just rub the stick over your wet beard and then build the lather directly on your face with the brush. However, I have found shave sticks to be a bit polarizing...people seem to either love them or hate them. How do you feel about shave sticks?

45 16,999
 03-14-2012, 07:24 AM
User Info
I "like" shave sticks once in a while...Well, Ive only tried Valobra. Not sure what is wrong with my technique though as I really only build enough lather for one pass(two the most). I tried obviously applying more soap to the face, using more water, less water.

9 333
 03-14-2012, 07:38 AM
  • 68stang
  • Bremerton, WA
User Info
I have a few shave sticks...
Arko ( if you let it sit out unwrapped for a few days the scent dissipates)
Erasmic
Palmolive
Valobra

Love them all! Great for a fast shave on mornings I am running behind.

0 25
 03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
User Info
I like shave sticks especially the type that come in a twist up container. Easy to use and wonderful for traveling.

108 12,667
 03-14-2012, 08:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I voted other. I use both Speick and Palmolive shave sticks, but I grate them into a small tin and use them as a soap puck.

After doing this I have come to the opinion that Speick should make a hard shave soap to go along with their fabulous cream and stick.

174 23,701
 03-14-2012, 08:30 AM
  • pgp
  • Portugal
User Info
I'm currently using:
Valobra
La Toja
Arko

The first time I tried Valobra, I used it on a short trip. I was amazed with it! I like so much that it entered my soap/cream rotation. La Toja is an ols friend of mine, nice performance, and the Arko, well, I'm one of those that really like it! Biggrin

1 74
 03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
I also voted 'other'. While I like shave sticks (particularly La Toja, Speick, and Wilkinson) I'm primarily using creams these days.

15 222
 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
Love 'em. I think I'll go use one.

9 166
 03-14-2012, 09:24 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My signature line used to be : Shaveticks of the world, unite and take over! so you can guess how much I like them.
I learn to proper shave when I was 18 with a Vie Long brush and Myrurgia/La Toja shaving sticks.I have plenty of shavesticks and they give me excellent shaves as well as they are easy to use and store.

86 7,182
 03-14-2012, 10:27 AM
User Info
I love the Stick!

I had shaved for almost two years before I tried a Palmolive stick and fell in love. I since got the heady, light headedness that comes from buying Arko sticks in bulk, the musky, woody goodness of Tabac and most recently the peppery Alpine goodness Speick.

When I'm in a hurry, I know that I can simply reach for a stick after my shower, use almost any brush and have a thick, lubricating lather almost instantly. Even if I have time for only one-pass, I know that it's going to be better than doing the samed thing with canned goo.

I enjoy MWF and Tabac, there's something special about picking up a small stick and getting instant lather. (I need to explore crafting MWF into a stick).

Shaveticks of the world, unite and take over! - Teiste Thanks!

However, on their own merit these are all great soaps that meet all of my needs. I look forward to trying other sticks such as D.R. Harris, TOBS, La Toja, Valobra.

3 456
 03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
User Info
I've seen it mentioned that guys with softer\sparser whiskers might have a little trouble using some sticks as the soap doesn't get as much transfer to the face. I have no problem with it myself, but I know Freddy runs into issues with that from time to time.

I'm just not as much of a face latherer though. I like building a lather in a bowl primarily.

The few shave sticks I do have ( or at least kept in stick form ) are either products that only come in stick form ( ie Sir Irisch Moos ) or ones I just got fantastic deals on ( DR Harris Marlborough for $5 once ). I also prefer the ones that come in their own containers.

I have some very beloved products that started as sticks, but that are now in glass bowls with caps. They were either grated with a cheese grater and packed in, or molded into the bowls if they are soft enough ( Arko ). Speick, Erasmic, and Palmolive are some sticks that I have remade into container soaps this way.

0 252
 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
User Info
haven't tried them yet, but it is something I do want to eventually check out.

40 5,830
 03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I only have two so far, but have enjoyed both tremendously.

10 1,858
 03-14-2012, 04:10 PM
User Info
Personally I don't like building lather on my face so I say mill them sticks. I mill them into containers so they are more like soap pucks

0 90
 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM
User Info
I voted other. My first shave stick was Arko and I did not care for the Arko and that flavored my view for a time. I have milled Irisch Moos and that was a hitBiggrin.

29 1,732
 03-15-2012, 06:03 AM
User Info
Arko Smile
La toja,
Bea,
Palmolive,
Tabac ,
Derby,

i like the sticks..

3 373
 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I hate them. I am a bowl latherer and why take the time to push them into a tub to make shaving soap out of them when I already have a bunch of great soaps? As Gene pointed out, I never get a decent lather from them and that may have something to do with a not so dense beard. Phil says he recommends them to newbies but if that is what I had been told when I started out then I would have quit and gone back to canned goo (shudder) a long time ago.

Having said that, when I'm overseas and see a really good deal on shave sticks, I usually purchase a few to give to folks who enjoy using them. I am always on the lookout for those deals, too. Wink

2 11,211
 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM
User Info
I'm one of the "other" votes. Some products are found in no other form, so I use them as a stick. A stick is a very efficient form, no doubt.

But I also like to mill the stick into a bowl and use it that way.

I guess for me it just doesn't matter. Hence "other".

I use Arko in a bowl, I presently have Speick in a stick, but that's because if I'm going to mill it into a bowl I need some more of those tiny sticks to make it worth doing. Same goes for Valobra.

32 6,364
 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM
User Info
(03-15-2012, 01:07 PM)freddy Wrote: I hate them. I am a bowl latherer and why take the time to push them into a tub to make shaving soap out of them when I already have a bunch of great soaps? As Gene pointed out, I never get a decent lather from them and that may have something to do with a not so dense beard. Phil says he recommends them to newbies but if that is what I had been told when I started out then I would have quit and gone back to canned goo (shudder) a long time ago.

Having said that, when I'm overseas and see a really good deal on shave sticks, I usually purchase a few to give to folks who enjoy using them. I am always on the lookout for those deals, too. Wink

I've enjoyed that Erasmic stick you sent me last year! I used it as a stick for a week while I was chaperoning a Church camp, but I did grate it into a bowl later.

Have you ever tried Speick or Sir Irisch Moos? Both soaps are wonderful performers, and the scents are fantastic. I know they both have cream versions so you could at least try those.

0 252
 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-16-2012, 01:18 PM)GeneAut Wrote:
(03-15-2012, 01:07 PM)freddy Wrote: I hate them. I am a bowl latherer and why take the time to push them into a tub to make shaving soap out of them when I already have a bunch of great soaps? As Gene pointed out, I never get a decent lather from them and that may have something to do with a not so dense beard. Phil says he recommends them to newbies but if that is what I had been told when I started out then I would have quit and gone back to canned goo (shudder) a long time ago.

I've enjoyed that Erasmic stick you sent me last year! I used it as a stick for a week while I was chaperoning a Church camp, but I did grate it into a bowl later.

Have you ever tried Speick or Sir Irisch Moos? Both soaps are wonderful performers, and the scents are fantastic. I know they both have cream versions so you could at least try those.

Gene, I have the cream versions of Speick and Sir Irisch Moos and enjoy them both. It is the stick form and face lathering that I don't care for.

2 11,211