06-23-2018, 04:32 AM
User Info
Well, this is a first. Does shaving soap attract bugs?

For the last two mornings, I’ve had many—probably several dozen—tiny ants in my sink. They’re reddish brown, and perhaps a few millimeters long. Not being an entomologist, I have no idea what they are, or why they’re there.

Could it be the fat in my shaving soap? Maybe a thin layer remains in my sink, and that’s breakfast for them? I presume they come up from the drain. Weird. Never happened before.

I poured boiling water all over the sink, and scrubbed it with cleaner, so there shouldn’t be any fat left on it. We’ll see what tomorrow brings… (hopefully nothing)

Can anyone shed light on this?

1 476
 06-23-2018, 05:34 AM
User Info
Ants are known to enter houses looking for moisture. When I had the problem it was larger black ants (carpenter ants) in the dishwasher. I've never seen them in the bathroom sink though.

Dave

0 103
 06-23-2018, 05:59 AM
User Info
ants like termites...

52 1,162
 06-23-2018, 06:07 AM
User Info
Not knowing where you are...…. If extremely dry climate, they might come in for water. If extremely wet climate, to get out of the rain.
Or termites !!
I'm no expert.....just thinking... Confused

0 401
 06-23-2018, 06:31 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-23-2018, 04:32 AM)David Wrote: Well, this is a first.  Does shaving soap attract bugs?

For the last two mornings, I’ve had many—probably several dozen—tiny ants in my sink.  They’re reddish brown, and perhaps a few millimeters long.  Not being an entomologist, I have no idea what they are, or why they’re there.

Could it be the fat in my shaving soap?  Maybe a thin layer remains in my sink, and that’s breakfast for them?  I presume they come up from the drain.  Weird.  Never happened before.

I poured boiling water all over the sink, and scrubbed it with cleaner, so there shouldn’t be any fat left on it.  We’ll see what tomorrow brings…  (hopefully nothing)

Can anyone shed light on this?

Since 2011, our neighborhood has supported a robust population of what appear to be sidewalk ants.  (We have lived in this house for four decades, and we were not bothered by them before 2011.)  They like the areas around our bathtub and sink in the upstairs bathroom, but have never spread to the cabinet above the sink where my opened shaving soaps are collected.  I have never seen an ant on any of my soap pucks.  Apart from areas that get damp, the favorite attractions for the ants in our home are sweets and Post Raisin Bran; their first love is freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.  My bride observes that the ants will flock to a spilled drip of bacon grease on the cooktop, but do not venture into a Matfer Bourgeat "black steel" frying pan in which bacon has been fried, and which we generally wipe down, without washing, and leave on the cooktop between uses:  weird.

If you want a quick fix to a temporary ant gathering, and would just as soon not poison your toothbrushes in the sink area, get a pump=spray bottle and fill it with water and CitraSolv concentrate in a 11:1 ratio (that is, in a 24 oz spray bottle, pour 2 oz. -- 1/4 cup -- of the concentrate, then add water to fill to the 24 oz. line; it forms a thin head like beer when you add the water to the CitraSolv, but the bubbles die down fairly quickly).  You likely can find CitraSolv in a local brick-and-mortar store, but if not, the Amazon ASIN is B002B70BB8.  A spritz of the spray kills ants instantly, and, other than the ant carcasses (a square of toilet paper will take care of them), all that is left on the sink or other surface is a thin film of highly diluted orange oil, no more toxic than the residue of dragging an orange peel across the surface.  You can use the spray bottle even in food preparation areas without fear of poisoning your family.  

1 1,199
 06-23-2018, 10:58 AM
User Info
We have issues with ants in our house but Ive never seen them anywhere near any of my shaving soaps.  Id agree that if they were in your bathroom sink, they were likely after water.  In my experience, ants are usually after 2 things: something sweet or water.

0 79
 06-23-2018, 12:25 PM
User Info
(06-23-2018, 06:31 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Since 2011, our neighborhood has supported a robust population of what appear to be sidewalk ants.  (We have lived in this house for four decades, and we were not bothered by them before 2011.)  They like the areas around our bathtub and sink in the upstairs bathroom, but have never spread to the cabinet above the sink where my opened shaving soaps are collected.  I have never seen an ant on any of my soap pucks.  Apart from areas that get damp, the favorite attractions for the ants in our home are sweets and Post Raisin Bran; their first love is freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.  My bride observes that the ants will flock to a spilled drip of bacon grease on the cooktop, but do not venture into a Matfer Bourgeat "black steel" frying pan in which bacon has been fried, and which we generally wipe down, without washing, and leave on the cooktop between uses:  weird.

If you want a quick fix to a temporary ant gathering, and would just as soon not poison your toothbrushes in the sink area, get a pump=spray bottle and fill it with water and CitraSolv concentrate in a 11:1 ratio (that is, in a 24 oz spray bottle, pour 2 oz. -- 1/4 cup -- of the concentrate, then add water to fill to the 24 oz. line; it forms a thin head like beer when you add the water to the CitraSolv, but the bubbles die down fairly quickly).  You likely can find CitraSolv in a local brick-and-mortar store, but if not, the Amazon ASIN is B002B70BB8.  A spritz of the spray kills ants instantly, and, other than the ant carcasses (a square of toilet paper will take care of them), all that is left on the sink or other surface is a thin film of highly diluted orange oil, no more toxic than the residue of dragging an orange peel across the surface.  You can use the spray bottle even in food preparation areas without fear of poisoning your family.  

I have never heard of CitraSolv before, but I checked on-line, and it is sold nearby in Walmart.  Sounds like a safe way to clean.

I'll see what tomorrow morning brings, but I'm going pick up a bottle in any case because it's a more natural way to clean the den.

1 476
 06-24-2018, 04:34 AM
User Info
SUNDAY MORNING UPDATE.  No bugs.  Zero.  Perhaps it was the fat in the shaving soap that attracted them.  The sink is now sparkling clean—no film of soap.  Maybe the problem is solved.

1 476