09-05-2012, 09:15 PM
User Info
I think I may of pinpointed where some of my bumps are coming from, after my shave tonight. I don't think my skin likes alum much.

has anyone else experienced bumps and a burning sensation after using an alum block?

40 5,830
 09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Usually if I get a stinging sensation then that means there was some irritation from my shave. Otherwise, no problems.

10 1,120
 09-06-2012, 03:12 AM
User Info
Yes, alum gives me a rash. I've tried it for post shave & as an underarm deodorant. Anywhere I put it will lead to a rash. It usually takes 2-3 days of use before it shows up for me. It wasn't until I saw the same rash in my armpits that I realized my facial irritation was also from the alum.

31 7,912
 09-06-2012, 03:29 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Yes, another one here with problems from alum. It causes bumps and rashes that take a day or two to show up. I had no clue until I read that others have similar problems.

I've discontinued it altogether and no more problems. I hated the sting and the tight sensation anyway but initially continued with it thinking it would be the cure for what it was actually causing.

Witch hazel,a soothing A/S or a combination of both has been substituted for the alum with USB to follow as a balm.

6 905
 09-06-2012, 04:00 AM
User Info
Count me in, also. My skin doesn't like alum either.

I've tried 3 different brands of alum, and the result is always the same: ultra-dry skin and a little bit of rash. I had discontinued its use, and use witch hazel instead,, followed by a good balm or splash.

However, I've tried the OSMA shaving soap, that contains some alum in it, and like it a lot. Smile

2 5,527
 09-06-2012, 06:37 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
And that is interesting that you can tolerate the alum in the Osma shave soap Emanuel because I can tolerate the small amount of alum in Speick aftershave but not anything more.

I guess that it's the overload that comes directly from the bar of alum that is the problem.

(09-06-2012, 04:00 AM)oversaturn Wrote: Count me in, also. My skin doesn't like alum either.

I've tried 3 different brands of alum, and the result is always the same: ultra-dry skin and a little bit of rash. I had discontinued its use, and use witch hazel instead,, followed by a good balm or splash.

However, I've tried the OSMA shaving soap, that contains some alum in it, and like it a lot. Smile

6 905
 09-06-2012, 07:36 AM
User Info
Can't stand alum either. Face feels like concrete after I use it.

0 241
 09-06-2012, 07:40 AM
User Info
(09-05-2012, 09:17 PM)MickToley Wrote: Usually if I get a stinging sensation then that means there was some irritation from my shave. Otherwise, no problems.

+1 Andrew, it could also be the type of alum, maybe.

75 20,883
 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM
User Info
I guess I'll skip the alum for my next shave and just use witch hazel instead.

40 5,830
 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM
User Info
Andrew, what type of complexion do you have? Dry, oily, or combination?

Either way really, I'd still recommend that you pick up some Krampert's Finest AS. Brian's creation has really made a huge difference in the finish of my shaves and the health of my skin.

31 7,912
 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
User Info
(09-06-2012, 08:26 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Andrew, what type of complexion do you have? Dry, oily, or combination?

Either way really, I'd still recommend that you pick up some Krampert's Finest AS. Brian's creation has really made a huge difference in the finish of my shaves and the health of my skin.

sensitive and dry more than anything.

40 5,830
 09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
User Info
This is very interesting. I have sensitive skin and have developed rashes with a few aftershaves and nearly all colognes and EdTs, but I have never had a problem with alum.

184 12,002
 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Just after shaves and balms for me. If I think I need anythings else I might apply a little witch hazel, but very seldom.

173 23,505
 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
User Info
It doesn't surpise me that some folks can't tolerate alum, after all, it is a salt, and salts have powerful skin effects.

FWIW, to the best of my knowledge there are 2 types used in shaving. One is aluminum based and the other is potassium based.

The aluminum one is used to staunch blood flow in the form of alum sticks (used in pickles as well), and the other is used for deodorant and as a general astringent. I try to limit my use of the aluminum based version on principle (it's been implicated in Alzheimers) but in the small amounts used for shaving cuts it's probably meaningless. The potassium version I use freely and so far have no effects from. Most aluminum based deodorant/antiperspirants I absolutely can't tolerate for more than a few days at a time.

32 6,309
 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
(09-06-2012, 12:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It doesn't surpise me that some folks can't tolerate alum, after all, it is a salt, and salts have powerful skin effects.

FWIW, to the best of my knowledge there are 2 types used in shaving. One is aluminum based and the other is potassium based.

The aluminum one is used to staunch blood flow in the form of alum sticks (used in pickles as well), and the other is used for deodorant and as a general astringent. I try to limit my use of the aluminum based version on principle (it's been implicated in Alzheimers) but in the small amounts used for shaving cuts it's probably meaningless. The potassium version I use freely and so far have no effects from. Most aluminum based deodorant/antiperspirants I absolutely can't tolerate for more than a few days at a time.

Brian, excellent points. I too was slightly concerned with the aluminum version and made sure that any of my alum blocks were made from potassium. I can use alum on an individual basis just fine. I start getting problems when I use it for 2-3 days in a row.

31 7,912
 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM
User Info
I'm surprised so many of you also have problems with alum. I actually do like using it as an underarm deodorant.

47 1,270
 09-08-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
I had to shave today because of a wedding I need to attend tonight so I skipped the alum block after the shave. my face isn't burning and there's no red bumps, like there were before when I used the alum.

so I think it might be safe to say that my face can't tolerate alum.

40 5,830
 09-08-2012, 11:17 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Andrew. Keep us posted to see if things continue. i may stop using it for a while to see if i find any difference.
Enjoy your wedding. It is funny how you phrased your sentence, "i had to shave, today..." as it was a bad thing. Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(09-08-2012, 10:53 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I had to shave today because of a wedding I need to attend tonight so I skipped the alum block after the shave. my face isn't burning and there's no red bumps, like there were before when I used the alum.

Just think how spiffy you'll look at that wedding. Wink

2 11,211
 09-08-2012, 10:46 PM
User Info
(09-08-2012, 11:17 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, Andrew. Keep us posted to see if things continue. i may stop using it for a while to see if i find any difference.
Enjoy your wedding. It is funny how you phrased your sentence, "i had to shave, today..." as it was a bad thing. Biggrin

I really dislike shaving. I dislike it a lot less being that I shave the traditional way now compared to the gel and plastic razors, but I still don't like shaving.

(09-08-2012, 11:19 AM)freddy Wrote:
(09-08-2012, 10:53 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I had to shave today because of a wedding I need to attend tonight so I skipped the alum block after the shave. my face isn't burning and there's no red bumps, like there were before when I used the alum.

Just think how spiffy you'll look at that wedding. Wink

I got some photos on my phone I'll have to upload on here.

Tongue

40 5,830