06-26-2018, 05:47 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I had an inexplicable craving for Waffelos Cereal this morning -a favorite of mine from the 1970's. After doing a Google Search to see if I could locate a box, it appears as if the cereal was discontinued years ago. This got me to thinking. What cereals did you love as a kid that you can no longer get today?

[Image: fevaFLK.jpg]

48 19,980
 06-26-2018, 05:50 PM
User Info
Cap'n Crunch, although it's still available today.

53 8,230
 06-26-2018, 07:53 PM
User Info
That's easy. Way back when I was a child there was a cereal imported into this country that was called Familia Swiss Birchermeusli (it's no longer the same cereal even though still sold under the same name). It was absolutely fantastic. It was dried apples in powder form, oats and nuts. Today it's just twigs and roots and not worthy of purchase.

Today I make my own knock off version... it's close but not exact. It's still delicious. It's also expensive to make and that's probably why they turned it into a twigs and roots product. Dried fruit and roasted nuts are far more expensive than grain and only us old farts with a memory of the old cereal will know the difference.

32 6,519
 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM
User Info
Not totally on topic but mine was my Aunt's granola. There was always a fresh tub of granola on the kitchen table.  My Uncle was a beekeeper too...so, it was always made with fresh honey.
I loved it growing up, but appreciate more now!

0 66
 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM
User Info
Back in the late 1800’s when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I loved “grape nuts”. An interesting cereal that contains neither grapes nor nuts, and can be compared to eating gravel doused in milk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

29 1,570
 06-26-2018, 09:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-26-2018, 08:59 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Back in the late 1800’s when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I loved “grape nuts”. An interesting cereal that contains neither grapes nor nuts, and can be compared to eating gravel doused in milk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

haha...that is exactly how I remember Grape Nuts tasting.

48 19,980
 06-26-2018, 09:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-26-2018, 08:11 PM)HarryBadge Wrote: Not totally on topic but mine was my Aunt's granola. There was always a fresh tub of granola on the kitchen table.  My Uncle was a beekeeper too...so, it was always made with fresh honey.

That sounds delicious!

48 19,980
 06-26-2018, 09:08 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-26-2018, 07:53 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That's easy. Way back when I was a child there was a cereal imported into this country that was called Familia Swiss Birchermeusli (it's no longer the same cereal even though still sold under the same name). It was absolutely fantastic. It was dried apples in powder form, oats and nuts. Today it's just twigs and roots and not worthy of purchase.

Today I make my own knock off version... it's close but not exact. It's still delicious. It's also expensive to make and that's probably why they turned it into a twigs and roots product. Dried fruit and roasted nuts are far more expensive than grain and only us old farts with a memory of the old cereal will know the difference.

I remember a Muesli in Sweden that sounds exactly like what you are describing. It was great but, they served it with what they referred to as sour milk -kind of a thin yogurt.

48 19,980
 06-26-2018, 09:09 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(06-26-2018, 05:50 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Cap'n Crunch, although it's still available today.

It is a classic...I remember the plastic bins of it in our dorm cafeteria.

48 19,980
 06-26-2018, 09:18 PM
User Info
The only cereals I recall my parents getting me when I was growing up was Kellogs Corn Flakes and a local brand of Puffed Rice and Puffed Wheat... my mind was blown when I travelled abroad the first time and I got my paws on Honey Smacks and Coco Pops.

What I really crave right now after reading this thread is a bowl of the local shop brand crunchy muesli... and the shop isn't open yet  Dodgy

3 5,773
 06-26-2018, 09:33 PM
User Info
(06-26-2018, 08:59 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Back in the late 1800’s when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I loved “grape nuts”. An interesting cereal that contains neither grapes nor nuts, and can be compared to eating gravel doused in milk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I loved the Grape Nuts too. I would eat a large bowl every morning and about 5-6 months later I noticed I developed a set of extremely powerful JAWS! It was like a super  workout on them jaws. Tasty gravel though!

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 157
 06-27-2018, 02:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I had three.

[Image: 7V1bQ4P.jpg][Image: f7fWYKd.jpg][Image: KVDA4fp.jpg]

180 25,087
 06-27-2018, 03:04 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-26-2018, 05:47 PM)bullgoose Wrote: This got me to thinking. What cereals did you love as a kid that you can no longer get today?

My father daily ate a strange mixture of two breakfast cereals, and I cannot remember my mother ever eating at breakfast time — she drank a lot of percolator coffee though — so the only cereals in our household were the two varieties that my father mixed.  Thus my sister and I grew up on that mixture.  The two component cereals, Ralston (“from Checkerboard Square”) and General Mills’s Kix, both stayed crunchy after being doused with milk.  All the members of our family called the mixture “Kix ’n’ Ralston.”

Ralston was composed of small woven biscuits similar to miniature Quaker Shredded Wheat biscuits, but — for whatever reason:  use of whole wheat rather than bleached wheat? or longer baking? — were much darker than Quaker Shredded Wheat biscuits, and had taste very different from Quaker Shredded Wheat.  Ralston was later replaced in the Ralston Purina line-up by Wheat Chex, which was a different product in every way;  Wheat Chex biscuits were waffle-molded rather than fashioned from interwoven threads, and never tasted the same as the former Ralston had tasted.

Kix remains in the General Mills line-up today, I think, under the name Corn Kix, but — like Ralston — Kix evolved over the years to something different from what I ate when I was a child.  The Corn Kix puffs became lighter and fluffier, and absorbed milk more readily than the old Kix puffs did; you cannot audibly crunch the new Corn Kix between your teeth after it has had milk poured over it as we used to crunch the old Kix.  

Hut-Sut Rawlson on the rillerah and a brawla, brawla sooit.

1 1,275
 06-27-2018, 03:05 AM
User Info
Part of a nutritious breakfast...not.
[Image: HC4l5Fl.jpg]

48 4,691
 06-27-2018, 03:56 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
 06-27-2018, 04:04 AM
User Info
Mine was Sugar Smacks, which are now called Honey Smacks.

0 197
 06-27-2018, 04:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I still love to eat cereal. Breakfast, dinner, or late night snack. Never lunch, though. There were two I liked that I think may no longer be available. Sugar Pops (later renamed Corn Pops) and King Vitaman. One of my all-time favorites was Maypo. I make a similar concoction today - I call it porridge - rolled oats, Grape Nuts, salt, maple syrup and milk. It’s the only cereal I eat for breakfast that keeps me full until lunch.

10 3,122
 06-27-2018, 04:52 AM
User Info
(06-26-2018, 08:11 PM)HarryBadge Wrote: Not totally on topic but mine was my Aunt's granola. There was always a fresh tub of granola on the kitchen table.  My Uncle was a beekeeper too...so, it was always made with fresh honey.

Hambre

15 624
 06-27-2018, 04:56 AM
User Info
 06-27-2018, 06:02 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I had allergies as a child - corn, etc.  Rice Chex and Puffed Rice were common.

9 688