06-27-2018, 10:40 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I’m considering buying a Red Oxx Mini Boss carry-on bag and the Long Hauler shoulder strap. I’d appreciate any feedback on their products. I find them pricey, but if they’re as good as the reviews say they are, they’re probably worth it. The company seems almost to have a cult-like following among its customer base. Nevertheless, I travel internationally every year, so I’m looking for quality travel gear.

8 1,014
 06-27-2018, 07:29 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-27-2018, 10:40 AM)Rufus Wrote: I’m considering buying a Red Oxx Mini Boss carry-on bag and the Long Hauler shoulder strap.  I’d appreciate any feedback on their products.  I find them pricey, but if they’re as good as the reviews say they are, they’re probably worth it.  The company seems almost to have a cult-like following among its customer base.  Nevertheless, I travel internationally every year, so I’m looking for quality travel gear.

Although we have no experience whatsoever with Red Oxx, my bride and I travel trans-oceanic at least twice a year, and fly domestically half a dozen times per year apart from the trans-oceanic flights.  We are always on the alert for any means to reduce the stress of travel, and we update our tools when we discover a better mousetrap.  We typically travel with only carry-on luggage, even on extended trips.  So far, the best luggage we have found for that style of travel have been:  

1. the eBags TLS Mother Lode Mini 21" Mini Wheeled Carry-on Duffel; and
  2. the Wenger SwissGear Tandem Backpack With 16" Laptop Pocket.

As you are an experienced traveler, I need not detail to you what features (ahem:  front panel access to the main compartment, and CaseBase stabilizing platform) of those two pieces of luggage (described at the above links) make them very desirable, because the features speak for themselves.

That said, if I had an unlimited budget (which we do not have), I should be sorely tempted by the innovative G-Ro carry-on luggage.  It is sumptin’ else.

I have no hands-on experience that would allow me to offer either praise or criticism of the Red Oxx Mini Boss, but I suggest that you may wish to compare that product to the products at the links above before proceeding.

1 1,199
 06-27-2018, 08:37 PM
User Info
No wheels would be a deal-breaker for me. YMMV.

0 146
 06-27-2018, 10:48 PM
User Info
There are a lot of options within the international travel size. I have a tumi roller carry-on, as well as a vanguard photo/travel backpack - both of which fly internationally and are larger than the red oxx. Will this be your primary (only) bag during overseas travel, or is this just the carry-on portion of your luggage?

29 1,395
 06-28-2018, 03:24 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Thanks MSM, Viseguy & MtK. My preference is not to check a bag, but SWMBO won’t try to get by with just carry-on; I can do +3 weeks with just carry-on. The Mini Boss would be my carry-on when I’ve checked a bag. It’s large enough to hold a change of clothes(which I always have with me when I check my main bag, just in case the dreaded thing happens), my shaving gear and other toiletries, iPad, and travel documents. I’ll also use the Mini Boss for weekend trips. When i’m on an extended trip and want to have everything in my carry-on I take an old LL Bean bag that is designed for this purpose. Unfortunately Bean doesn’t offer it any longer, but it’s similar to the Red Oxx Air Boss, but was half the price. I really like the look of the G-Ro carry-on, and its sale price isn’t off the chart. I travel mostly in Europe and the airlines there (especially, Swiss International, KLM and Flybe; I avoid Ryan Air at all costs, even though I’m a shareholder) can be real SOBs when it comes to carry-on bags. The G-Ro looks as though it would fit the bill over there, but I’ll have to investigate further.

8 1,014