06-28-2018, 05:02 PM
User Info
I recently got back from a four day trip, which meant I broke out the dopp bag with the travel shave gear, including my 'road warrior' shave brush.  It is a way ugly brush, but very practical. Best of all, it is both inexpensive and easy to make. Let me show you.

I’ll start by showing you a precursor to the road warrior brush.  The problem I was trying to solve was how to protect shave brush bristles during travel.  I take pleasure in approaching such problems as an exercise in improvisation with materials at hand.  What I came up was a way to protect my Semogue 830  using:
  • Two rubber bands
  • A zip lock bag
  • An empty prescription bottle
  • A strip of paper
The idea was to use the prescription bottle to cover the bristles, but you can see the first challenge: how to get the bristles into the bottle without damaging them.

[Image: 9uh4DtX.jpg]

The trick is to wrap the strip of paper around the bristles to compress them, and then stick them in the bottle.

[Image: 6igAqxa.jpg]

[Image: si2SPtK.jpg]

Once the bristles are in the bottle,  keep the bottle in place with a rubber band.

[Image: 421HmhF.jpg]

To further keep things in place, put the brush+bottle into the zip lock, roll it up, and wrap with second rubber band. Done.

[Image: VqG7wam.jpg]

The above rig has worked very well for me, but somehow one thing led to another.  Take a look at the next picture of two prescription bottles and notice that both sides of the caps will screw onto the bottle.   In the orientation on the left, the cap engages a safety tab to offer some measure of child resistance. In the orientation on the right,  the cap is not child resistant, and so easier to manipulate.  BTW, the bottle on the left is not empty.  Can you make out what is in it?

[Image: pOwPRbd.jpg]

It is a 26mm boar knot I had left over from a brush restoration project for which I bought two knots.  I  glued the knot to the inside of the cap with a bit of silicone adhesive.  As seen below, the cap+knot screw into the bottle which acts as a handle.

[Image: wEuGAqv.jpg]

The road warrior brush is not pretty, but the whole rig was the price of the knot (around $12 if I recall), and it works like a charm.  A super compact boar brush that you can throw into a dopp bag with abandon, and lathers like a champ.

2 23
 06-28-2018, 05:45 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That is a really neat set up.  Thanks for sharing.

10 1,696
 06-28-2018, 11:01 PM
User Info
Very clever. I like it Smile

3 5,442
 06-29-2018, 03:57 AM
User Info
Piggy_214 INVENTION OF THE YEAR   Number_one

0 399
 06-29-2018, 04:08 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good work! Now, that’s what I call thinking outside the box. Instead you’re thinking inside the canister! You may want to drill a hole or two for ventilation.

8 2,771
 06-29-2018, 04:32 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Careful use of a utility knife will remove the child proof feature

62 1,726
 06-29-2018, 04:56 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Good job. Necessity is the mother of invention.

8 1,014
 06-29-2018, 10:33 AM
User Info
(06-29-2018, 04:08 AM)chazt Wrote: You may want to drill a hole or two for ventilation.

Normally I try to make sure the brush is dry before I cover it.  Most hotels provide a hair dryer, and I find a minute or so under the dryer on high speed using low heat will get a shave brush reasonably dry.  That said, your suggestion makes a lot of sense.  Time to bust out the Dremel tool.

2 23
 06-29-2018, 01:41 PM
User Info
Or you could ask the pharmacy for the larger pill bottle that will actually accept a regular sized brush? And drill several holes in the cap to allow moisture to escape?

0 49
 07-05-2018, 04:27 AM
User Info
(06-28-2018, 05:02 PM)nostromo Wrote: I recently got back from a four day trip, which meant I broke out the dopp bag with the travel shave gear, including my 'road warrior' shave brush.  It is a way ugly brush, but very practical. Best of all, it is both inexpensive and easy to make. Let me show you.

I’ll start by showing you a precursor to the road warrior brush.  The problem I was trying to solve was how to protect shave brush bristles during travel.  I take pleasure in approaching such problems as an exercise in improvisation with materials at hand.  What I came up was a way to protect my Semogue 830  using:

• Two rubber bands
  • A zip lock bag
  • An empty prescription bottle
  • A strip of paper
The idea was to use the prescription bottle to cover the bristles, but you can see the first challenge: how to get the bristles into the bottle without damaging them.

[Image: 9uh4DtX.jpg]

The trick is to wrap the strip of paper around the bristles to compress them, and then stick them in the bottle.

[Image: 6igAqxa.jpg]

[Image: si2SPtK.jpg]

Once the bristles are in the bottle,  keep the bottle in place with a rubber band.

[Image: 421HmhF.jpg]

To further keep things in place, put the brush+bottle into the zip lock, roll it up, and wrap with second rubber band. Done.

[Image: VqG7wam.jpg]

The above rig has worked very well for me, but somehow one thing led to another.  Take a look at the next picture of two prescription bottles and notice that both sides of the caps will screw onto the bottle.   In the orientation on the left, the cap engages a safety tab to offer some measure of child resistance. In the orientation on the right,  the cap is not child resistant, and so easier to manipulate.  BTW, the bottle on the left is not empty.  Can you make out what is in it?

[Image: pOwPRbd.jpg]

It is a 26mm boar knot I had left over from a brush restoration project for which I bought two knots.  I  glued the knot to the inside of the cap with a bit of silicone adhesive.  As seen below, the cap+knot screw into the bottle which acts as a handle.

[Image: wEuGAqv.jpg]

The road warrior brush is not pretty, but the whole rig was the price of the knot (around $12 if I recall), and it works like a charm.  A super compact boar brush that you can throw into a dopp bag with abandon, and lathers like a champ.

Some good ideas.  Another, which I now use, might be to look into either a 40- or 60-dram Rx bottle, available for about $1.00 (or less) at any pharmacy then drill a few holes in the top and bottom.  These are the large pill bottles, ~1.5" in diameter and ~4" to 6" tall--big enough for most 26mm brushes.

Travel safely!

4 724