06-30-2018, 06:50 AM
User Info
I noticed recently on their website that Declaration Grooming will no longer provide detailed scent lists for their soaps. 

link removed per forum rules

I hated to read this, because I seem to have a desire to know the scents prior to purchase. Even though I don't have allergy problems, there are just some scents that don't please me.

I would try samples of DG, but this will cause me to pump the brakes on a blind purchase of their products. 

What does everyone else say?

2 100
 06-30-2018, 07:17 AM
User Info
My feelings for anything cosmetic related more info is better. Now, ingredients can't be removed for legal reasons but scent notes can and that is what we have here.

Almost a month ago when this was announced I posted a reply to the guy that hosts try that soap and point blank asked "won't this cause an issue with the recommendations that your site provides". I mean for me at least the reason I use that site is to possibly find lesser known soaps I may have an interest in scent wise based off of my ratings and in pure Reddit fashion I don't get a reply to the question. I also checked the site and because there are no scent notes the 3 new releases didn't provide a recommendation rating.

Ryan from Tallow & Steel went the other way recently by providing the actual percentages of the oils used.

I bought all of T&S offerings last week and didn't buy a single DG offering. Kyoto for instance is sold out and I like to use Maggards inventory list to see how well new items sell and the DG products sold about 20% of the original inventory listed.

My crystal ball says that DG will again be listing scent notes within 12 months. Too many allergies and scents that buyers or coworkers don't appreciate to take a flyer on the narrative of a scent from a soap maker.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 150
 06-30-2018, 07:33 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I cannot think of a good reason for removing this info.

82 3,444
 06-30-2018, 07:42 AM
User Info
(06-30-2018, 07:33 AM)Nero Wrote: I cannot think of a good reason for removing this info.
It's about feedback and what you want to handle.

Kyoto by T&S had a large amount of Yuzu listed. Allot of guys got the seaweed note. You get discussion.

DG's have no scent notes. So if you get the soap and say I didn't get any yuzu, lime or any other scent listed you don't have discussion. Artisan never said what scents would be included. Only a narrative or vibe of the scent was given. No discussion.

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 150
 06-30-2018, 07:50 AM
User Info
DG....Not on my list..... Tongue 
I try never to buy blind.

0 797
 06-30-2018, 07:55 AM
User Info
I understand that some of these artisans are small operations and it spreads them thin to do R&D, production, testing, sales, customer service, social media, etc - many hats to wear. 

But in my mind, a change like this intentionally stifles sales and cause significant issues with customers that have allergic reactions or that are plain dissatisfied.  I hope @jaxstraww and his crystal ball is right.

If not, plenty of other worthy artisans that divulge their scents and ate transparent in their products.  T&S is a great example of this, among many others.

2 100
 06-30-2018, 08:12 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
To answer your question bluntly...Yes.

There are certain scent notes that I know for a fact will cause revulsion.  Others I am sensitive to (a new revelation).  With these soaps being an unknown, I will avoid until I read reviews that show that I can use them safely.
In my opinion, Scott at DG (and others that do the same) are hurting their sales by excluding people like me.
And like my purchasing habits...that is personal choice.

48 2,065
 06-30-2018, 11:23 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Once again, it seems I'm an outlier. I have yet to meet a Declaration soap with a scent I don't like, and I've got most of them. My skin apparently has no sensitivities, so ingredients aren't an issue for me. I also seem to have a very broad range of scents I find attractive. I'm also relatively ignorant about how scent ingredients smell, e.g., I couldn't tell you whether a scent is amber- or musk-forward, or whether a vaguely citrus scent is yuzu, neroli or bergamot--and I really don't care.

When I read the description of Declaration's Shore scent, I knew I had to have it, based on Scott's narrative description. I sniffed a sample last weekend, and it smelled just like I thought it would. I ordered a full tub yesterday.

10 559
 07-01-2018, 07:27 AM
User Info
I'm allergic to both cedar and sandalwood, so I read through the scent notes of every soap before I buy.

3 1,932
 07-01-2018, 12:33 PM
User Info
Try That Soap has "Coming Soon" for 2 of the 3 newly released soaps. Looks like he will work out a deal to get the notes. I mean for that site to work for DG soaps that info must be known.

My crystal ball has it now being changed back within 6 months.....

Sent from my Samsung S8+

1 150
 07-04-2018, 07:51 AM
User Info
I think it is a shame that soap makers cannot include the major scent within the name!!  Lets call an apple an apple----not sweet bliss or something else that means nothing to the shaving person.

4 33
 07-04-2018, 11:22 AM
User Info
This is a conundrum and I see where Declaration is coming from.  I spend a lot of time with my scent combinations and don't really want to give the recipes away.  That being said, I also try to be straight forward.  My Appalachian Forest obviously has pines and cedarwood in it which are listed in the description.  I just can't give the whole recipe away.  My Patchouli blend smells mostly of Patchouli balanced out with other herbs.  I must admit that I get confused when I cannot decipher the major scent notes from a soap name then cannot easily find them in the description.

0 343
 07-04-2018, 03:06 PM
User Info
I've got 6 soaps that cause severe to mild irritation, I like it when a maker gives as much details as I can understand.
A maker who enjoys a degree of success and recognition for a quality product is one I want take a chance on buying 
because 3 of his croaps I know I can't use. But....that's just me... Confused

0 797
 07-05-2018, 01:43 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
What I don't understand is how sometimes an artisan will get the scent notes so wrong.  As an example, A&E Grecian Horse is marketed as "a heady fougère scent that opens with the stimulating blend of bergamot and almond" but the only thing I smell is straight-up sandalwood/vanilla.  No fougere, no bergamot/citrus, and certainly no almond.  
I've got soaps from Scott at L&L/Declaration where I sniffed the soap and thought "well THAT wasn't what I expected".  I can count two "fougere" soaps from different vendors that smell like banana-bread to me.
Scent can be highly subjective, so maybe my sniffer is busted.

48 2,065
 07-05-2018, 04:23 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(07-05-2018, 01:43 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: What I don't understand is how sometimes an artisan will get the scent notes so wrong.  As an example, A&E Grecian Horse is marketed as "a heady fougère scent that opens with the stimulating blend of bergamot and almond" but the only thing I smell is straight-up sandalwood/vanilla.  No fougere, no bergamot/citrus, and certainly no almond.

Not just artisans...
Penhaligon's has a scent Sartorial, and they call it a fougere.
... The Sartorial scent is based off the scent one finds at a tailor shop.
... Fougeres are based off the scent of the forest floor.
... What does a tailor shop and a forest floor have in common?

82 3,444
 07-05-2018, 06:13 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(07-05-2018, 04:23 AM)Nero Wrote:
(07-05-2018, 01:43 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: What I don't understand is how sometimes an artisan will get the scent notes so wrong.  As an example, A&E Grecian Horse is marketed as "a heady fougère scent that opens with the stimulating blend of bergamot and almond" but the only thing I smell is straight-up sandalwood/vanilla.  No fougere, no bergamot/citrus, and certainly no almond.

... What does a tailor shop and a forest floor have in common?

Maybe they're elvish tailors...   Biggrin 

Cheers, Steve

7 609