09-06-2012, 02:07 PM
User Info
Hey, Guys.

I have been TWS for a little over a year now and I have always used alum immediately after my shave as part of my post shave routine. Following the alum, I use a 50/50 minuture of rose water and witch hazel as a sort of splash.

A few weeks ago, I thought about eliminating alum to shorten my post shave time. Since I was using alum to disinfect my skin after the shave, I thought about adding a bit of alcohol to my rose water and witch hazel mixture to accomplish the same thing.

I've been using the rose water/witch hazel/alcohol mixture for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. I get just a brief gentle sting from the alcohol, but it doesn't dry my face out. I then finish with shea butter and I've had no problems at all. To boot, I haven't missed the alum, which is what I was testing in the first place.

Thought maybe this would help someone else with their post shave and skin care routine.

9 1,199
 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing. I also subscribe to the Celestino method: witch hazel followed by USB.

47 1,270
 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
Great information, Randy. Thanks for posting. i have been experimenting with just Thayers followed by USB, Unrefined Shea Butter.

Tom, hee hee. That is funny, the Celestino Method. Don't say it to often as it may catch on.

74 20,808
 09-07-2012, 03:52 PM
User Info
I just use aftershave balm, nothing more. I tried alum but it causes serious red bumps and ingrown hairs.

I'm generally a believer in simplicity: soap, brush, razor, and balm.

72 1,405
 09-11-2012, 08:23 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-07-2012, 03:22 PM)celestino Wrote: Great information, Randy. Thanks for posting. i have been experimenting with just Thayers followed by USB, Unrefined Shea Butter.

Tom, hee hee. That is funny, the Celestino Method. Don't say it to often as it may catch on.

Celestino, where does one get USB? Health food store? How do you use it? I've used extra virgin coconut oil (raw) and that is very nice on skin and supposed to have disinfecting effect as well. Have not tried shea butter, though.

25 1,695
 08-23-2014, 04:35 AM
User Info
As a change-up, I decided not to use my alum block yesterday.
I'd used it every day since starting in with DE.

Lo and behold, no redness, no bumps (at least the latter were just a few and occasional).

Same story today. What I thought was "feedback" appears to have been alum-induced irritation.

The block is sidelined.

5 696
 08-23-2014, 04:47 AM
User Info
I only use alum on the tips of my fingers to prevent the razor from slipping.

It must been more than a year since I last used it in my face.

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 159
 08-23-2014, 04:57 AM
User Info
I really like the Unrefined Shea Butter I purchased here:
You might check it out.

35 3,242
 08-23-2014, 07:55 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
If you use witch hazel there is no need of alum block. To simplify things I dropped the witch hazel and kept the alum block. Since using the alum block post shave my skin has never been better/clearer. I imagine I would get the same good results using only witch hazel but prefer a product in solid form over liquid. Anyway both are good post shave.

I don't need a balm, unless I screwed up the shave, as my skin is naturally on the oily side. For those who have dry skin I can see regular use of a balm as a necessity. I have used coconut oil from the grocery store and it has worked well and doesn't leave the skin feeling oily.

0 1,679
 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
User Info
I've also been wondering if I should bench the alum from tone to time. I'll experiment this week

15 236
 08-23-2014, 03:35 PM
User Info
I no longer use it. I wanted to cut down on the number of things I was doing to my skin. Now I shave, use a bit of tea tree oil post and then USB. I've eliminated alum and witch hazel completely.

9 1,199
 09-11-2014, 04:11 PM
User Info
I benched the alum a long time ago. Seems that was the cause of some irritation on my neck. Now I just rinse, apply Thayers Witch Hazel and pick an AS. Most of my AS have alcohol in them but don't find them drying at all. If I feel I over did it a bit than I will use Coral Skin food.

11 230
 09-19-2014, 11:43 AM
User Info
Alum wasn't good for my face either. My preference is for Hydrolast Sandalwood or Sandalwood/Citrus Aromatic Tonic directly after the post-shave rinse. When I'm out of the Hydrolast, I go for Dickinson's Witch Hazel.

1 255
 09-22-2014, 12:16 PM
User Info
yep, I've also eliminated alum as well.

when I used an alum block on my face after a shave, it felt like my face was on fire...no thanks!

40 5,830