07-03-2018, 05:36 PM
User Info
Geoducks ('gooey-ducks') are giant Northwest U.S. clams that are wonderful to eat if tenderized correctly.  My wife and I had some yesterday with some friends, who had hauled them out of their freezer, thawed them, skinned them, pounded them flat with a mallet, breaded them, and pan-fried them in garlicked olive oil.  Yum.  This reminded me that I had some really old images of geoducks from my past.  So, from the wayback machine, here I am (in the maroon sweatshirt) digging them up in 1973.

[Image: RT2CcOt.jpg][Image: uWeekE3.jpg][Image: DbR1oZ0.jpg]

214 12,701
 07-03-2018, 06:07 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I love those photos, John. You look exactly the same!

I remember when one could order a plate of pounded, battered and fried geoducks, much like you experienced, at McCormick's restaurant at the base of the Columbia Center in the early '80s (as I recall, before the high-rise was built). For a reasonable price. Those days are long gone. From what I understand, the PNW geoduck market is now sold to Asia, where they're willing to pay prices we just can't match.

Must have been a great meal.

9 516
 07-03-2018, 06:53 PM
User Info
(07-03-2018, 06:07 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I love those photos, John. You look exactly the same!

I remember when one could order a plate of pounded, battered and fried geoducks, much like you experienced, at McCormick's restaurant at the base of the Columbia Center in the early '80s (as I recall, before the high-rise was built). For a reasonable price. Those days are long gone. From what I understand, the PNW geoduck market is now sold to Asia, where they're willing to pay prices we just can't match.

...except that, no longer a rebel, I shave now every day.  And the meal was indeed great.  I hadn't had geoducks for over 30 years.

214 12,701
 07-03-2018, 09:12 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(07-03-2018, 06:53 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 06:07 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I love those photos, John. You look exactly the same!

...except that, no longer a rebel, I shave now every day.  And the meal was indeed great.  I hadn't had geoducks for over 30 years.

I'm still a rebel, although I shave every day!

9 516
 07-04-2018, 02:04 AM
User Info
(07-03-2018, 06:07 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: From what I understand, the PNW geoduck market is now sold to Asia, where they're willing to pay prices we just can't match.

Reminds me of something my wife (who's Japanese) and I once asked a fisherman who brings his catch to a Brooklyn market.
We both really like monkfish liver (ankimo) and asked whether we could get any when we saw he had the fish.
He told us that it all goes to Asia,

9 1,020
 07-04-2018, 06:28 AM
User Info

These are sold at an Asian market near me called H-Mart. They're on display in a live tank, the same cascading setup as live lobster and live shrimp, and sometimes fish.

8 375