07-05-2018, 09:03 AM
User Info
I was just wondering how many shaves you guys can generally get from a newly honed razor before it needs to be refreshed. I have CrOx and FeOx coated balsa on my paddle strop, so I can refresh at any time, but I just noticed that this morning I completed my 20th shave on one of my blades since the last refresh. It still shaved great. 

I am assuming that because both my shaving skill and my stropping skill have increased, I am now able to get more shaves between refreshes. 

Just a couple of questions: 

1) Do you keep track of how many times you've used a particular blade since it was honed or last refreshed? Or do you just refresh it when it feels like it is no longer keen enough to do the job properly? 

2) Is it unusual to get 20 shaves without any refreshing, or is that fairly common/expected? 

3) If you count, what is the highest number of comfortable shaves that you have been able to get before having to refresh, whether on pasted balsa, lapping film, or a fine stone? 

4) Should I be counting, or is it OK to just keep shaving until the blade tells me it needs work? 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

3 1,884
 07-05-2018, 09:27 AM
User Info
I find it varies quite a bit, main factors being how well the bevel was set, the steel but mostly personal preferences. To me, some steels can be perfectly sharp but feel rough after few shaves (like the friodurs) and a quick touch up on a finishing stone does the trick. Others don't feel rough and just get dull and you notice when they stop gliding through the tougher beard areas or I notice I am using a steeper angle to compensate. Finally there are blades that seem to keep a sharp and smooth edge forever. That is my experience with a Filarmónica Especial. Oh, and I don't count. 
But I am not that experienced so I'll be following this thread.

9 1,424
 07-05-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
Randall,

I have gone a year before taking a razor back to the stones but not on all razors, as stated some hold an edge longer but the trick is to refresh the edge before it gets dull and refreshing can be done wirh and inexpensive finishing stone or pasted strop.

7 1,618
 07-05-2018, 08:49 PM
User Info
(07-05-2018, 09:03 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I was just wondering how many shaves you guys can generally get from a newly honed razor before it needs to be refreshed. I have CrOx and FeOx coated balsa on my paddle strop, so I can refresh at any time, but I just noticed that this morning I completed my 20th shave on one of my blades since the last refresh. It still shaved great. 

I am assuming that because both my shaving skill and my stropping skill have increased, I am now able to get more shaves between refreshes. 

Just a couple of questions: 

1) Do you keep track of how many times you've used a particular blade since it was honed or last refreshed? Or do you just refresh it when it feels like it is no longer keen enough to do the job properly? 

2) Is it unusual to get 20 shaves without any refreshing, or is that fairly common/expected? 

3) If you count, what is the highest number of comfortable shaves that you have been able to get before having to refresh, whether on pasted balsa, lapping film, or a fine stone? 

4) Should I be counting, or is it OK to just keep shaving until the blade tells me it needs work? 

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I would just refresh as needed.  20 shaves is an amazing amount of shaves before needing refreshed.  You must be doing a great job.

21 1,819
 07-05-2018, 10:32 PM
User Info
Its a YMMV kind of thing.  How many shaves you get depends upon your angle and your hair.

0 89
 07-09-2018, 10:11 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
I would agree with what has been stated already. It depends on many things. For me personally, I shave 5 times a week and I can usually go about 2 months before a refresh is needed.

2 105
 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM
User Info
Another thing to take into account, not all razors are born equal, some hold an edge much longer than others, quality of steel including hardness all play their part, I have razors which vary in their timescale before they visit the hones.

13 2,112