09-06-2012, 04:29 PM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
I got in on one of the last 30mm silvertip knots that Larry had, the last one that hadn't been set aside for an "email me when they are in" situation. Great transaction and fast shipping just like my sight unseen straight set up.

It came in tonight! This brush is HUGE. I don't know why I am so surprised. I went about de-funking it with the supplied Oxyclean. I gave an almond sized serving of Proraso green a swirl in a bowl.

WOW. I think I had enough lather after about 45 seconds or so to do 20 passes. (Okay, maybe not that many but still WOOOOOO lather)

Total hairs lost - 7

I am gonna give this a whirl in a RazoRock soap sooner than later too.

This is a bit softer of a brush over all, how you say, not a rigid backbone? I had him set it at the stock loft. It is not a paint brush though.

I bought this brush because the first brush I really LOVED after years of using crappy VdH Walmart brushes was the SOC, boar. I loved the HUGE bloom that bad boy has. I rotated it with a 620 which I like, but less. I expanded into badger with a Simpsons Colonel in best and a FS silvertip. I enjoyed those two, but though, maybe a bigger knot... So I bought the biggest one I could squeeze into the budget for August.

More to come-
Also curious as to other owners experiences to date.

12 648
 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM
User Info
i have a 24mm WD in a restore and love it. It sheds the odd hair now, but it's only had 5-10 lathers, and think it's a great brush for the money.

got any pics of your big 30mm Whipped Dog brush?

8 2,718
 09-06-2012, 04:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Another request for pics.

Whats the loft length? Over 50 mm?

86 7,123
 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
(09-06-2012, 04:45 PM)Teiste Wrote: Another request for pics.

Whats the loft length? Over 50 mm?

The loft on the bare knot is 65, the handle has a 10mm standard hole, so that would be a 55mm loft.

I am not a picture guy and just have an iPhone and iPad2 so this is the best I can do.

The pictures:

Pre-cleaning comparison

Post clean and lather top down, obviously the biggest one is still damp and the other two are dry, but you get the picture

Front on

12 648
 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
User Info
That is a massive brush!

75 20,883
 09-07-2012, 05:56 PM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
The giant gets the call for tomorrow's shave... more to follow

12 648
 09-08-2012, 07:12 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
The results are in, the Whipped Dog is a keeper (at least with softer style soaps)

The soap was Razorock XXX.
I swirled around for about 15 seconds.
Had to dip the tips in water about 5 times as the beast just shirks it off. Lathered for about 45 seconds when all was swirled and done.

Lost 1 hair.

Is this a face lathering brush? I think not. Do I often face lather- no. I bowl lather NEARLY every day.

The result:

12 648
 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
I must amend my previous comments. I tried this out face lathering tonight. Soaked the brush for a bit, then did NOT shake out water.

Turned up right and pu tabout 1.25x the amount of Bigelow CREAM on the top and started swirlin' away on my face. In a short bit of time I had worked up a nice lather. Squeezed out the brush and had enough for many more passes.

I think this huge brush is more versatile than I gave it credit for.

12 648