09-21-2018, 05:39 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
GC with .84 base is an excellent razor. I had a few shaves with it and the quality of shaves was on par with my Weber PH and WR1 .67 SB. Its solid built quality combined with a price of $54 makes this razor exceptional.

119 1,720
 09-21-2018, 05:40 PM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 04:25 PM)beisler Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 01:42 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 04:43 AM)LithiumDawn Wrote: I got my RR Gamechanger yesterday, and I was a little bit disappointed to be honest.

First: the packaging is simply "meh" - a tiny, thin cardboard box, holding the razor that's itself wrapped in thin, white paper. Even the cheapest Merkur DE's are better packaged.

Second: the finish. I understand one should not expect a luxury item within this price range, but I think the finish should/could have been better. The top cap and base plate both have ever so small scratches upon them, it looks like they had been carried around for a while in the pockets of some jeans. Stainless steel will get these wear marks over time, I know, but I didn't expect it with a brand new, out-of-the-box razor.

Third: this is just my opinion, but I find blade alignment is below par, as the knobs to hold the blade are placed on the base plate, not the bottom ot the top cap.

The shave this morning was pretty good with a Polsilver blade.

I think, it's okay for the 70 € I paid for it, but still I might pass this razor on, and get a decent brush for the money.

Understood. But, not to be confrontational or coming off as being obtuse, in your valued opinion, what would you rather have?

Option A: An elegantly packaged razor that is foam or velour wrapped in first class material that is housing a razor made of zamak, zinc or magnesium blended alloys that is inconsistent in its chroming and finishing manufacturing processes or quality control including blade alignment issues because of improper molding casings that, if used with supreme care and one being meticulous of usage can perhaps get a fews years of good usage. It has been well documented on many a shaving forum the issue of poor quality and failure within a couple of months from specific razors such as Merkur, Muhle and a few others. But, they did have wonderful packaging. Maybe a new trend can be started and we can pass down the wonderful and amazing packaging to our sons and daughters and to hell with so so or mediocre razors. Who needs to hang on to a heirloom piece anyway?

Or.....

Option B: A small,  semi flimsy looking box that probably can't hold a handful of Raisinettes, Sno-Caps or Ju Ju Bees, with a razor wrapped in a weak lens cleaning tissue paper that still has some lint in it from when John Doe ran it over to the tumbler and pulled a few top caps and base plates out of his work pants or shirt, poured in some solvent cleaner and tumbled and shaked like a vibrating bed over at the Rise & Shine Motel to get them to a decent semi polished look. Maybe a couple pieces with the sand bags that was inserted in the all night shake-o-matic to give it that matte polished look happened to get some microscopic marks and scratches during the process. Mind you now, it's a razor of 316L SS alloy (Yes, Marine quality grade) CNC machined to exacting specs and tolerances (not casted, molded or forged) in which the alloy will last a couple centuries if not millennia. 

I know what your thinking. It's quite the dilemma honestly.

For me, I'll jump out on a limb and opt for Option B. Yes, Option A has that sweet looking packaging that I can repurpose into a cufflinks holder or even better yet, if it's of quality 3 layer packaging board it can be used for creating Origami and a beautiful Swan. 

But, in the end I need to shave and want something thats precise and will last at least until I leave this good earth. Again, that's just me. Those are my priorites and honestly, I haven't seen anyone yet shave with packaging. 

Darn it! The razor alignment posts are on the wrong part! Sacrifices have to be made at times. I can live with it and so can others....

Or option 3--- A razor like Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Paradigm,ASylum RX or RS Shaving that has both nice packaging and looks and shaves better than any razor in option 2---I'll take option 3 anytime.

Should I or shouldn’t I? Mmmm........ I don’t think so. Happy shaves!

1 224
 09-21-2018, 09:26 PM
User Info
Insane value as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we got different razors.[Image: 19d6f20fe4b65375360648c0ff51e0a1.jpg][Image: 1a337c8ddc8f1a61add2f197f532fb33.jpg]

1 355
 09-21-2018, 09:38 PM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 05:40 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 01:42 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote: Understood. But, not to be confrontational or coming off as being obtuse, in your valued opinion, what would you rather have?

Option A: An elegantly packaged razor that is foam or velour wrapped in first class material that is housing a razor made of zamak, zinc or magnesium blended alloys that is inconsistent in its chroming and finishing manufacturing processes or quality control including blade alignment issues because of improper molding casings that, if used with supreme care and one being meticulous of usage can perhaps get a fews years of good usage. It has been well documented on many a shaving forum the issue of poor quality and failure within a couple of months from specific razors such as Merkur, Muhle and a few others. But, they did have wonderful packaging. Maybe a new trend can be started and we can pass down the wonderful and amazing packaging to our sons and daughters and to hell with so so or mediocre razors. Who needs to hang on to a heirloom piece anyway?

Or.....

Option B: A small,  semi flimsy looking box that probably can't hold a handful of Raisinettes, Sno-Caps or Ju Ju Bees, with a razor wrapped in a weak lens cleaning tissue paper that still has some lint in it from when John Doe ran it over to the tumbler and pulled a few top caps and base plates out of his work pants or shirt, poured in some solvent cleaner and tumbled and shaked like a vibrating bed over at the Rise & Shine Motel to get them to a decent semi polished look. Maybe a couple pieces with the sand bags that was inserted in the all night shake-o-matic to give it that matte polished look happened to get some microscopic marks and scratches during the process. Mind you now, it's a razor of 316L SS alloy (Yes, Marine quality grade) CNC machined to exacting specs and tolerances (not casted, molded or forged) in which the alloy will last a couple centuries if not millennia. 

I know what your thinking. It's quite the dilemma honestly.

For me, I'll jump out on a limb and opt for Option B. Yes, Option A has that sweet looking packaging that I can repurpose into a cufflinks holder or even better yet, if it's of quality 3 layer packaging board it can be used for creating Origami and a beautiful Swan. 

But, in the end I need to shave and want something thats precise and will last at least until I leave this good earth. Again, that's just me. Those are my priorites and honestly, I haven't seen anyone yet shave with packaging. 

Darn it! The razor alignment posts are on the wrong part! Sacrifices have to be made at times. I can live with it and so can others....

Or option 3--- A razor like Charcoal Goods, Blackland, Paradigm,ASylum RX or RS Shaving that has both nice packaging and looks and shaves better than any razor in option 2---I'll take option 3 anytime.

Why wouldn’t you just accept other people’s opinions, have your own and be done with it? Wink

Happy shaving though

1 88
 09-22-2018, 03:25 AM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 09:38 PM)LithiumDawn Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 05:40 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote:

Why wouldn’t you just accept other people’s opinions, have your own and be done with it? Wink

Happy shaving though

Just busting chops and having a little bit of fun with some sarcasm. You’re spot on, everyone has their right to their own opinion. Doesn’t mean that it’s wrong or right but, it should be respected. Good shaves to you, sir....

1 224
 09-22-2018, 03:27 AM
User Info
No offence taken Smile

1 88
 09-22-2018, 08:10 AM
User Info
(09-21-2018, 09:26 PM)jmudrick Wrote: Insane value as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we got different razors.[Image: 19d6f20fe4b65375360648c0ff51e0a1.jpg][Image: 1a337c8ddc8f1a61add2f197f532fb33.jpg]

Mine does not look that polished by far!!

1 88
 09-22-2018, 08:17 AM
User Info
That's a few minutes work with a microfiber cloth and some polish. Mine also came in a cute little leather pouch.
(09-22-2018, 08:10 AM)LithiumDawn Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 09:26 PM)jmudrick Wrote: Insane value as far as I'm concerned. Maybe we got different razors.[Image: 19d6f20fe4b65375360648c0ff51e0a1.jpg][Image: 1a337c8ddc8f1a61add2f197f532fb33.jpg]

1 355
 09-22-2018, 08:38 AM
User Info
(09-22-2018, 08:17 AM)jmudrick Wrote: That's a few minutes work with a microfiber cloth and some polish. Mine also came in a cute little leather pouch.
(09-22-2018, 08:10 AM)LithiumDawn Wrote:

Mine was wrapped in thin paper, and of course I tried polishing it, but the surface is somehow dull.

1 88
 09-22-2018, 03:32 PM
User Info
I have nothing but good to say about this razor and company. No fanboy as I had an issue with a past purchase that was handled swiftly and professionally. I ordered the .084 and it hit the mailman in time for a shave. I had great results. No issues with loading the blade although it is a different setup it was an easy drop and load. Very good smooth shave. The razor is not overly aggressive. I seen it was available and quickly ordered as I was on my way out so I grabbed the super knurled handle, this release offered the handles with the head. This handle is a bit heavier than I like so I slapped a bull dog on it. I am well pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 16
 09-25-2018, 08:28 PM
User Info
I've had my issues with RR, and their soaps may have left my den but the .68 GameChanger is one HELL of a razor!! Especially at the 50$ pricepoint I think it's hard for most razors to compete, and I'm hopeful that it along with PAA's new Steel Ascension DOC will help bring down the price of Steel DEs

0 10