07-13-2018, 11:48 AM
User Info
hi guys,

first time poster.

Ive been shaving about a year with a DE and really enjoy the experience and lack of irritation.

after starting with a Muhle R89, ive now moved on to a Rockwell 6S. 

Im now looking to really treat myself and buy a good top end razor.

What im looking for is a good, not so super aggresive shave. But also a high end product.

I like the idea of the 3 base plates of the above The Tie 5 piece set, for anyone that has one, is the M1 plate, mild, just like an easy beginner razor? and how aggresive are the other plates?

The Feather is known as a very user friendly and mild razor, any insight would be great.

And of course the Wolfman the real artisan piece. 

If i was to get my hands on on eof these absolute bad boys, what would be the "easiest" blade gap settings people would recommend,

And if anyone could compare their Wolfman to any of the other two, what would be the pro's and cons's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 12
 07-13-2018, 04:17 PM
User Info
consider a Blackbird

9 1,466
 07-13-2018, 05:14 PM
User Info
I really like my ATT SE1 and if you use a DE I think the 5 piece set will do you really well.  I have also heard great reviews about the rex.  One thing to consider is ATT razors and parts are returnable up to 30 days so you won't get stuck with buyers regret.  However you could resell a high end razor quite easily yourself.

0 358
 07-13-2018, 07:14 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have an ATT with the M2 and R2 plates and I enjoy using it. If you don’t want an aggressive razor, I would only suggest the M & R plates and not the H. I have a Wolfman OC as well and I really like it, but they’re hard to get. If I were to recommend something, it would probably be the Rex Ambassador. I’ve only had mine a couple of weeks, but I think I like it better than my Above The Tie. It’s really easy to use, but it’s also efficient.

3 640
 07-13-2018, 07:41 PM
User Info
save your self money and wait for the Game Changer to become available which it should + a new more aggressive plate to come in soon. I would of say get the Mamba but some people don't like it because is mild like the ASD2, to me its great and its shaves are effortless and fast and 3 passes gives me DFS and I never chase BBS so no matter what I only do 3 passes.

The Game Changer performs great, looks great, high quality 316L SS metal and to be honest the razor should cost $150 but instead it cost $50

0 272
 07-13-2018, 10:41 PM
User Info
(07-13-2018, 04:17 PM)lloydrm Wrote: consider a Blackbird

wow, i never heard of them before, but just looked on their website. they're exquisite!!!

Are there many other notable "high end" style razors that i should probably consider as well?

as stated in my previous post. 

i currently use a rockwell 6S, 

the shave is good, no complaints, but the piece itself is not bespoke, its a chinese made product and you can see the flaws already. The thread for the handle isnt as good as id like.

so my main objective is to get a high quality, made in America or Europe razor, one that i can pass on when the time comes.

Thanks for the replies lads

0 12
 07-14-2018, 03:14 AM
User Info
(07-13-2018, 10:41 PM)randywatson Wrote:

wow, i never heard of them before, but just looked on their website. they're exquisite!!!

Are there many other notable "high end" style razors that i should probably consider as well?

the shave is good, no complaints, but the piece itself is not bespoke, its a chinese made product and you can see the flaws already. The thread for the handle isnt as good as id like.

so my main objective is to get a high quality, made in America or Europe razor, one that i can pass on when the time comes.

• Eliminates shaving irritation and in-grown hairs for a close, comfortable shave, every time.

• Patented 6 levels of shaving freedom, to ensure that anyone can redefine the closeness, smoothness, and comfort of their shave.
• Precision engineered blade angles provide the ultimate shaving experience.
• Perfectly weighted and balanced through unparalleled craftsmanship for intuitive handling and effortless glide.
• Proudly made in the USA using precision metal injection molded 316L space-grade stainless steel.
From the Rockwell site

0 861
 07-14-2018, 03:32 AM
User Info
Be sure to check out Timeless razors as well.

0 63
 07-14-2018, 04:03 AM
User Info
You will never do better than your Rockwell 6 S.

1 193
 07-14-2018, 07:02 AM
User Info

Is also a nice change of pace from what you already have shave wise.

9 1,466
 07-15-2018, 05:07 AM
User Info
(07-14-2018, 03:14 AM)zipper Wrote:

• Eliminates shaving irritation and in-grown hairs for a close, comfortable shave, every time.

• Patented 6 levels of shaving freedom, to ensure that anyone can redefine the closeness, smoothness, and comfort of their shave.
• Perfectly weighted and balanced through unparalleled craftsmanship for intuitive handling and effortless glide.
• Proudly made in the USA using precision metal injection molded 316L space-grade stainless steel.
From the Rockwell site
As you can see from the box. It's made in China [Image: 66509f78a5a8f7777d764648793adaaa.jpg]

0 12
 07-15-2018, 05:42 AM
User Info
(07-15-2018, 05:07 AM)randywatson Wrote:
(07-14-2018, 03:14 AM)zipper Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 10:41 PM)randywatson Wrote: wow, i never heard of them before, but just looked on their website. they're exquisite!!!

From the Rockwell site
As you can see from the box. It's made in China [Image: 66509f78a5a8f7777d764648793adaaa.jpg]
Mine is MADE IN THE U.S.A. Didn't know some made in China. What I copied was directly from the Rockwell site for the 6s. I think you have a "C" not an "S"

0 861
 07-15-2018, 07:12 AM
User Info
The RazoRock Game Changer is very similar in design and function to the Wolfman, at a fraction of the cost. 

The Feather AS-D2 is mild, but if you have the proper technique, remarkable efficient.  It's one of the best DE razors out there, IMO, although it, too, is similar in design and function to the post-war Gillette Tech, which can obviously be obtained for a lot less money.  They shave almost exactly the same, but the Gillette isn't stainless steel and doesn't have the cache, if you will, that the Feather has.  

I have never tried any of the Above the Tie razors, so I cannot comment.   

The Blackbird is extremely efficient.  It has quite a bit of blade feel, just so you know.  I noticed a ton of blade feel but didn't get irritation.  At the time I was enamored of razors without much blade feel, so I sold it.  Now I shave with a straight razor, which is ALL blade feel, so in retrospect it's kind of funny, I guess.  After shaving with a straight razor for a few months, even when I use the Feather AS-D2 I am actually looking for and using the blade feel to help me get the best possible shave.  In other words, the Blackbird is a great razor but it might take some getting used to (if you are like me). 

If I were in your shoes, I would probably try to get a Game Changer.  If that doesn't do it for you, I would post a "Want to Buy" listing for a Feather AS-D2.  Maybe somebody has one that is lightly used and you could save some money that way.

3 1,936
 07-15-2018, 09:42 AM
User Info
Timeless.68 with a dual comb would be my recommendation and you have 30 days to try it

17 332
 07-15-2018, 09:44 AM
User Info
I'm in Ireland, so unfortunately wouldn't be able to avail of the 30 day money back guarantee.

0 12
 07-16-2018, 06:53 PM
User Info
I find the Wolfman razors much more nimble than the ATT razors or Feather AS-D2. I'd have a hard time going back to either of those.

0 51
 07-17-2018, 12:13 AM
User Info
(07-16-2018, 06:53 PM)tragique Wrote: I find the Wolfman razors much more nimble than the ATT razors or Feather AS-D2. I'd have a hard time going back to either of those.
How do you actually buy the wolfman razors?

I've emailed the website but I'm still waiting on a reply.

I love the look of the heads. They appear to be really slim, so I'd say great for shaving under your nose, which I do find a massive flaw with the rockwell.

0 12
 07-17-2018, 09:25 AM
  • chrism
  • England, UK
User Info
(07-17-2018, 12:13 AM)randywatson Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 06:53 PM)tragique Wrote: I find the Wolfman razors much more nimble than the ATT razors or Feather AS-D2. I'd have a hard time going back to either of those.
How do you actually buy the wolfman razors?

I've emailed the website but I'm still waiting on a reply.

I love the look of the heads. They appear to be really slim, so I'd say great for shaving under your nose, which I do find a massive flaw with the rockwell.

You spend most of your day hitting F5 waiting for stock to become available on the web site - usually only complete razors become available.

0 22
 07-17-2018, 09:27 AM
  • chrism
  • England, UK
User Info
Check now!!! There is stock.

0 22
 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 09:27 AM)chrism Wrote: Check now!!! There is stock.
What would be a good mid - mild blade gap?

I'm thinking 0.54mm?

0 12