07-15-2018, 02:27 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Today I purchased a razor set from an Italian seller - a vintage razor - but after I had paid for it through eBay, I was slugged an extra 10% Goods and Services Tax (GST)...and that included 10% on top of the SHIPPING, too.

Seems there is no disputing this. 

Anyone with similar experiences? 

I will certainly dampen my collecting from overseas sellers, that's for sure, but it may mean local Australians will buy and sell with each other more...how this will affect prices and market generally is difficult to say...

Hmmmmmm

0 1,974
 07-15-2018, 05:28 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Not Australia, but in Canada I regularly get dinged 13% HST (our equivalent your GST) on goods I import. On top of that Canada Post levies a $9 fee for collecting the tax, adding insult to injury. I’ve learned to grin and bear it.

9 1,032
 07-15-2018, 05:54 AM
User Info
This is why Trump is forcing import tariffs in the U.S......Every other country has always been doing it.
The doors are closing for us too !!

0 747
 07-15-2018, 06:08 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-15-2018, 05:54 AM)zipper Wrote: This is why Trump is forcing import tariffs in the U.S......Every other country has always been doing it.
The doors are closing for us too !!

In Canada (Ontario), we pay a 13% HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) on just about everything we buy, including services. Thus the charging of HST on imported retail goods “levels the playing field” between domestic retailers and offshore retailers. I don’t think this is analogous to what the USA is now doing with import tariffs.

9 1,032
 07-15-2018, 09:37 AM
User Info
It doesn't help that our import limits are a joke here in Canada. Anything over $20 CAD (~$15 USD) can be taxed. I think it's $800 USD in the States.

3 26
 07-15-2018, 12:42 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
We have been paying GST for years here in Australia, but never before on second-hand, vintage collectables. Seems a bit much to me. It'll see e-business decline for sure.

0 1,974