07-17-2018, 06:30 AM
User Info
Seeing all the new U.S., Canadian, European, and Turkish razors coming out, it seems to me that there don't seem to be any new models coming out made from Zamak.  

The traditional "major" manufacturers such as Muhle, Merkur, Parker, and Edwin Jagger still produce their many lines of Zamak razors, but these are old designs.  

There are also new bargain basement Zamak razors produced in China based on existing designs.

But I'm not seeing new razors designed in Zamak.  The Rockwell 6C is Zamak, but it's just a Zamak copy of the original 6S produced to a price point.

Is the razor world turning away from Zamak?  Or is this my imagination?

P.S.  Anyone who tries to turn this thread into yet another boring Zamak bash has to go sit in the corner.   Biggrin

12 254
 07-17-2018, 08:36 AM
User Info
I think it has less to do with turning away from Zamak and other cast metals and more to do with turning towards machined razors. The advent of CNC and sintered metal manufacture means stainless steel, brass and even titanium razors are more affordable to produce than before.

We'll still see Zamak, and even zinc and pot metal, razors made for the less affluent and emerging markets off course; but for the guys and gals who view shaving more as a hobby than as a chore we'll see more and more "affordable high end" razors being pushed.

3 5,531
 07-17-2018, 08:47 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Zamack razors require high volume sales due to the cost of the molds. You would have to sell a ton of razors just to break even (assuming you are having them made in the United States).

48 19,560
 07-17-2018, 09:07 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Forums did that in my opinion. They drive the market. People want razors from exotic metals, makers make that reality.

Let's say that we wake up tomorrow morning and no forum exists. You don't read about shaving products daily, reviews, new and upcoming products and there is no desire for more shaving stuff. I bet that, sooner or later, most if not all the makers/ "artisans"/ dealers will go out of business. Forums is their life support, they need them.

It's true that things have changed a lot during the last years.

Some time ago, the only expensive options were the Feather and iKon stainless razors and now they're not even the first option for a traditional wet-shaver. I'm also not sure if iKon still produces them.

So many choices. I don't use any modern zamak razors, actually I sold them all. I've tried almost every model from EJ, Muhle and Merkur. I took that decision not only because of the metal, I just think that there are far better ss razor designs which you give you a superior shave.

57 2,216
 07-17-2018, 09:52 AM
User Info
In the last year we have the Variant, Model T (incoming), and Leaf (in part). Not to mention Yaqi making several copies of razors with what I believe are zinc alloy heads. Zinc alloy is a pretty good razor material and I don’t see it going away. What you do see is a lot of razors made in other materials. And the reason for that, as Phil said, is lower initial costs and higher necessary quantities.

0 765
 07-17-2018, 10:00 AM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 09:07 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Forums did that in my opinion. They drive the market. People want razors from exotic metals, makers make that reality.

Let's say that we wake up tomorrow morning and no forum exists. You don't read about shaving products daily, reviews, new and upcoming products and there is no desire for more shaving stuff. I bet that, sooner or later, most if not all the makers/ "artisans"/ dealers will go out of business. Forums is their life support, they need them.

It's true that things have changed a lot during the last years.

Some time ago, the only expensive options were the Feather and iKon stainless razors and now they're not even the first option for a traditional wet-shaver. I'm also not sure if iKon still produces them.

So many choices. I don't use any modern zamak razors, actually I sold them all. I've tried almost every model from EJ, Muhle and Merkur. I took that decision not only because of the metal, I just think that there are far better ss razor designs which you give you a superior shave.

Signs011

0 502
 07-17-2018, 10:15 AM
User Info
Reasonably priced stainless razors are increasingly available.  Knowledgeable consumers will question spending $50 - $100 on a Zamak razor when they can purchase a stainless razor in that price range.  Zamak razors may not survive, except for low quality imports costing $15 or less.

53 7,804
 07-17-2018, 10:23 AM
User Info
I dont think they are giving up on it so much as they are exploring using other metals and offering more affordable stainless razors.

0 85