07-18-2018, 04:16 PM
User Info
[Image: very-cherry-shaving-soap-round-label__83...mbypass=on]

I just got this and its companion post-shave balm in the mail today after sending away for it last week, and I used it in my evening shave.  I will give an honest review of the soap and the balm.

The first thing I noticed right after opening the tub for the first time was how powerful the scent is.  I've read that it smells artificial and that is certainly true.  Fortunately, I don't find it intolerable, though others might.  But I was unprepared for just how strong the scent is.  I'd been considering getting the Windy City Barbershop version with my next paycheck, but now I wonder if I shouldn't just content myself with two of the Colonel Conk pucks instead seeing as how I haven't tried them yet.

The tub is the opposite—surprisingly weak for a container.  I recommend that the makers use more natural scent oils and less flimsy containers.

Now to the meat and potatoes.  Overwhelming scent aside, the soap itself produces an amazingly slick, creamy, cushiony lather that rivals, or even perhaps exceeds, the mutton tallow soaps produced by others.  I broke my Omega boar brush in with this and it whipped up a generous lather in relatively no time.  I'm impressed.  The quality may be owed to the rich duck fat used in the formula.  If you're into tallow, duck or mutton is better in my opinion.

I cannot say I'm as impressed with the companion balm.  Like the soap, the scent is overpoweringly strong, and likewise artificial-smelling.  It also gave me a burning sensation that went away in a couple of minutes.  Now that it's had a few minutes to work its magic it feels much better, but still, not a good first impression.  I think the formula can do without alcohol, as that tends to dry skin.

Overall, I give Oleo Very Cherry four our of five stars, subtracting one for the strong, artificial scent.  I rate the balm three out of five for the same reason, and for the initial burning sensation.

0 119
 07-18-2018, 07:38 PM
User Info
A good review, thank you. By your description this sounds like a soap my Better Half would enjoy coming into the bathroom after I've used, more than a soap I would enjoy for my own sake Wink

3 6,423
 07-18-2018, 08:07 PM
User Info
(07-18-2018, 07:38 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: A good review, thank you. By your description this sounds like a soap my Better Half would enjoy coming into the bathroom after I've used, more than a soap I would enjoy for my own sake Wink

Yeah, I hear you.  Fortunately, there's an unscented duck soap in their lineup, so I may just go with that instead of Windy City Barbershop.

0 119
 07-18-2018, 08:19 PM
User Info
(07-18-2018, 08:07 PM)Michael_W Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 07:38 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: A good review, thank you. By your description this sounds like a soap my Better Half would enjoy coming into the bathroom after I've used, more than a soap I would enjoy for my own sake Wink

Yeah, I hear you.  Fortunately, there's an unscented duck soap in their lineup, so I may just go with that instead of Windy City Barbershop.

Don't get me wrong though... as much as she loves cherry, I'm tempted to get some just to have her smile when it's her turn in the bathroom Biggrin

3 6,423
 07-19-2018, 05:14 AM
User Info
(07-18-2018, 08:19 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 08:07 PM)Michael_W Wrote:

Don't get me wrong though... as much as she loves cherry, I'm tempted to get some just to have her smile when it's her turn in the bathroom Biggrin

Sounds like a plan.  I do recommend avoiding the post-shave balm unless you like burning sensation for the first couple of minutes after application.  For some reason the makers saw fit to use alcohol in the formula, which can dry skin and cause discomfort.

0 119
 07-19-2018, 06:10 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Oleo Soapworks soaps are in my regular rotation. They are easy to lather, provide excellent cushion, glide, and post shave face feel, and there are a variety of enjoyable scents to chose from. Very Cherry is one of my favorites. I think the word "Very" implies that the scent is strong, which is what I prefer, and it is not unlike the cherry scent found in many Italian soaps, or the cherry scent in cherry soda. I also enjoy Vida's (Vida Perez is the soap maker) balms, with excellent moisturizing properties, as well as her splashes. Many of her scents are more subtle. Irving Park is her take on YSL Rive Gauche, one of my favorite fragrances, and Empire's scent is similar to Dior's Sauvage. Windy City Barbershop has become one of my favorite barbershop scents. One of my favorite fall scents is Old Orchard Cider. Shiloh is similar to Acqua Di Parma Colonia and is a delightful soap. I enjoyed her vegan soaps, but her new duck fat soap base is excellent and performs as well as most other top artisan soaps.

38 5,956
 07-19-2018, 07:29 AM
User Info
Okay, I sent an email to Oleo this morning and Vida got back to me within the hour.  She explained that what I took for regular alcohol is actually a fatty form called Cetyl Alcohol, different from the sort that dries out skin.  It seems the strong fragrance oils might be what caused the burning sensation in the balm.  Also, there apparently is no essential oil for fruits such as cherry, so there are only artificial scents to work with.  It's not intolerable to my nose; I'm reminded of a strong Kool-Aid, and it dissipates relatively quickly.  But they are constantly seeking to improve their soaps, and I am assured that the Windy City scent is much more subdued and therefore I will get that next week.

0 119