Poll: Which do you prefer: Duck or Mutton Tallow Base?
Canard
Mutton
 07-24-2018, 10:45 AM
User Info
Alright, after trying both Stirling Scots Pine Sheep and Oleo Very Cherry, I thought I'd open up a discussion on the merits of mutton tallow versus duck. The two generate incredibly rich creamy lathers with lots of glide. But I'm curious as to what others think regarding how each performs, what your preference is, and your thoughts on the two tallow bases themselves as compared to, say, beef tallow. What other tallow bases would you like to try, if ever they become available(e.g., goose or swine)?

0 119
 07-24-2018, 11:03 AM
User Info
Duck and goat both have pretty reduced stearic acid % for me and it looks like they would require a good amount of stearic acid to make up for that.  I think I would prefer a beef tallow soap.  I don't know... I would very much like to try them all.

0 447
 07-24-2018, 11:23 AM
User Info
(07-24-2018, 11:03 AM)asiliski Wrote: Duck and goat both have pretty reduced stearic acid % for me and it looks like they would require a good amount of stearic acid to make up for that.  I think I would prefer a beef tallow soap.  I don't know... I would very much like to try them all.

I've had beef tallow soaps that gave so-so lather slickness compared to duck or mutton.  Then again, I'm still learning about all the various soaps and creams out there, having only been properly wet shaving since 2016 (although when I started shaving back in the 1990s, it was with a shavette and Barbersol foam).  I've used Tabac, Williams, and D.R. Harris soaps, and Van Der Hagen.  Not exactly a wide range yet, to be sure.  But I noticed a richer soap with the Stirling mutton base than with the beef base.  Duck seemed to edge out the sheep just a little.

0 119