09-19-2018, 07:39 PM
User Info
Sounds good.  Since this is the direction that we're going, I guess you'll need to mark the thread closed, and I'm wondering if we should we try to send PMs to the other 4 guys ( Dave, barbe-rouge; Larry, lbkindy;  Brian, Shannon’s Soaps ; and Matt, vanacres ) ?  It's your thread, your call.  Thanks,
Cleave

13 223
 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Cleave, you proposed a real stand-up way to end the tour. Hopefully the members who participated will see these last posts and let you know either here or by PM if they want to keep something. Feel free to reach out to them by PM if you wish.

Thanks everyone for your interest and participation in the Summer 2018 TSN Traveling Soap Box Tour. Thank you Shave Nook for providing the means to make the connections. Judging from everyone’s comments about the various soaps, it seems to have been an enjoyable experience for all. As Cleave indicated above, if you guys are interested in keeping any of the soaps give him a heads up by Thursday, September 26.

I don’t want to close the thread, let’s just say the tour is completed. I expect you’ll want to offer your thoughts on the soaps, too! Further, members may want to comment down the road.

Good night Shave Nook...

10 3,039
 09-19-2018, 08:30 PM
User Info
Sounds good, Charlie... I hope some of the other guys decide that they want some of the spoils.  Thanks again for your generosity, Charlie!
Cleave

13 223
 09-22-2018, 06:16 AM
User Info
Charlie, thank you for organizing this pass around. I really enjoyed it. It gave me a chance to try some soaps with amazing scents that I otherwise may never have experienced. And thanks to Brian for the addition of the Shannon’s Soap. I said I would try to put a few words down about it, and hopefully I’ll do that soon. It’s just so hard to come up with words for scents that I have no experience with (e.g. labdanum).

Cleave, thanks for the offer to pass some of the soaps back, but I’m good. If no one takes you up on it, maybe consider passing one or more on to someone outside the group who hasn’t had the chance to experience them.

Matt

10 69
 09-22-2018, 07:32 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It was my pleasure, Matt. I’m glad you enjoyed using the soaps.

Yes, thanks to Brian for adding samples to the box,

And thanks to Cleave for his generous offer to share the wealth.

Go Shave Nook!

10 3,039
 09-22-2018, 08:31 AM
User Info
(09-22-2018, 07:32 AM)chazt Wrote: Yes, thanks to Brian for adding samples to the box,

Brian actually added a full tub of Lakeshore drive. I scooped out a good size sample, put that in the box, and kept the remainder. I’m going to shave with it a bit more and then pass it on to someone who has not tried Shannon’s Soaps yet. My first impression is that performance is excellent, and more people should try it. If you have not yet tried it, let me know and I’ll send it to you when I’m done.

Matt

10 69
 09-22-2018, 09:51 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yep, Shannon makes a top quality soap. I’ve only used her unscented. It’s as good as any of the other premier artisan products I have tried.

Interesting concept,,, trying to compare the quality of soap made by the different artisan makers. In my experience, they generally all provide me with good shaves. Cushion, glide, post-shave,,, they all have ‘em. What I find is perhaps more significant is how long the product in the tub lasts. Some soaps seem softer than others.

10 3,039
 09-23-2018, 04:15 PM
User Info
Including the Lakeshore was my pleasure, guys. We're very proud of the scent, and I like sharing it. Sorry I haven't chimed in before now.  Thanks to everyone for the kind words about it.  I've been reading the thread, but I can't log in to the site anymore from my phone.

0 1,154
 09-23-2018, 04:27 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-23-2018, 04:15 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: Including the Lakeshore was my pleasure, guys. We're very proud of the scent, and I like sharing it. Sorry I haven't chimed in before now.  Thanks to everyone for the kind words about it.  I've been reading the thread, but I can't log in to the site anymore from my phone.

Can’t you just have your phone remember to remain logged in?

10 3,039
 09-23-2018, 05:11 PM
User Info
(09-23-2018, 04:15 PM)Shannon Wrote: Including the Lakeshore was my pleasure, guys. We're very proud of the scent, and I like sharing it. Sorry I haven't chimed in before now.  Thanks to everyone for the kind words about it.  I've been reading the thread, but I can't log in to the site anymore from my phone.

Brian, are you on an iPhone?  Our forum software has comparability problems with Tapatalk and Apple's Safari browser.   Google's Chrome browser, which will run on an Apple device, interfaces well with our forum software.

By the way, thank you for your contribution to the traveling soap box.

53 8,113
 09-24-2018, 06:46 PM
User Info
Yes, I'm using an iPhone.  I did try a different browser, but it didn't help. I can try Chrome.

Sorry to sort-of hijack the thread. Smile

0 1,154
 09-26-2018, 03:37 PM
User Info
After about a half a dozen shaves with Shannon’s Soaps Lakeshore Drive, I’ll try to describe my experience with it.  As a disclaimer, my description may be somewhat lacking, particularly where it comes to scent.

Speaking of scent, I’ll start there.  This is the description from the website:

“Inspired by a mid-spring visit to Edgewater Park, our new scent, Lakeshore Drive, is what we like to call a Great Lakes Aquatic.  Ozonic notes meet bergamot, orange, and neroli, and are rounded out with notes of labdanum, bay, and coumarin.  It's fresh and dirty all at once - a blend that all but guarantees a pleasant shaving experience.” 

That’s a much better description than I could ever come up with, and where I am familiar with the individual scents, I think it is right on.  I tried to think of a way to put my thoughts on the scent into words, and the best I could come up with is to imagine walking outside to a recently mowed lawn after a heavy rain, and someone beside you is peeling an orange.  That hits the ozonic and orange, and maybe bergamot and coumarin.  I think I can sort of identify the neroli as well.  I don’t know about the bay, and I don’t have a clue what labdanum smells like, but I suspect it is what I can’t identify and what ties all the other scents together.  Anyway, it is a complex and pleasant scent.

As far as performance, I think it is up there with the best of them.  It is a somewhat soft soap that initially reminded me of CRSW Glide base, but I just did a comparison; Shannon’s is a bit more firm, and they don’t really load the same.  I ended up getting the best lather by using a fairly wet brush and loading for about 20-25 seconds.  I rotated through most of my brushes, and performance was equally good with all of them.  The initial load produced enough lather for a three pass shave.

I did two shaves with a straight razor, and the rest with a Timeless SS .68 with an Astra SP blade.  My favorite aspect of this soap was how well it protected my skin.  I don’t have overly sensitive skin, but I generally end up with a weeper or nick and occasionally a little post shave irritation (probably due to poor technique).  In my half a dozen shaves with Shannon’s, I got very few weepers and had no post shave irritation.  My shaves were as close as any I’m capable of achieving.

So, overall I have to say that I think this is an excellent soap.  I don’t know if everyone will like the scent, but I think most will find it agreeable. 

Thanks again to Brian for exposing me to a fantastic soap that I otherwise probably would not have tried.

10 69
 09-26-2018, 03:48 PM
User Info
Thanks for a  nice review.

53 8,113
 09-26-2018, 04:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good review, Matt. I struggle with complex scents as well. Perhaps in some way it helps to explain my preference for un- and simply scented soaps.

I have really enjoyed Shannon’s Nil. It tends to fly under the unscented radar, but it’s as good as any of the unscented products I have tried. It’s my impression after having conversations with a few artisan soap makers, that they sell very little unscented compared to scented products. Clearly, I’m in the minority. Luckily I have enough unscented soap in reserve for the next decade. When I find a soap I like, I stock up.

Getting back to Shannon’s, I recently had the opportunity to try Shannon’s deluxe formula in an unscented version. Knowing my love for unscented soap, Shannon graciously offered to sell me a couple of tubs she poured off prior to adding scent. It’s only been two shaves so far, both with injectors, so my trial period is still going, but I can tell so far that it’s even better than her standard formula for cushioning. It’s super protective, rinses clean easily, and a little goes a long way. I’ll have more to report in another week or so.

Like you said, Mike, it’s a fantastic soap!

10 3,039
 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM
User Info
Charlie, you may want to consider unscented Soapy Science.  I ordered the unscented because I wanted to try Soapy Science soap and did not care for any of the scents in their initial offering.  The unscented has excellent qualities and I recommend it.

53 8,113
 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-26-2018, 05:10 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Charlie, you may want to consider unscented Soapy Science.  I ordered the unscented because I wanted to try Soapy Science soap and did not care for any of the scents in their initial offering.  The unscented has excellent qualities and I recommend it.

Got a tub already, my friend. Yes, I agree. Hannah makes a very good soap.

10 3,039
 09-26-2018, 06:36 PM
User Info
(09-26-2018, 03:37 PM)vanacres Wrote: Thanks again to Brian for exposing me to a fantastic soap that I otherwise probably would not have tried.

No problem!  Thanks to Charlie for starting the box!

0 1,154