07-30-2018, 09:04 PM
User Info
I was asked recently what safety razor I thought was the best one... and I found the question very hard to answer because, well... it's hard to pick just one; I have many favourites among the ones I own myself.

I enjoy my vintage Ever-Ready1914, but mostly because it's a heirloom piece from a family friend who meant a lot to me when I was growing up.

I always look forward to shaving with my vintage GEM Micromatic Clug Pruf, since it's such an easy SE razor to master.

Likewise I always looks forward to using my Schick "Lady Eversharp" Injector which I bought as New-Old-Stock, it's my only injector and the blades last three times longer than ordinary DE blades.

I like my vintage Gillette "Khaki" Old Type from 1918, which started it's life as a service kit issued to a US soldier in the Great War, and that I now use when I'm on exercises and operations.

My three different Cadet razors (TP-01, TTO-11 and TTO-13) are all fun to use, since they taught me that inexpensive razors can be just as good shavers as expensive ones.

My Mergress Adjustable Bling means a lot to me, since it is both a good shaver and a gift from a friend.

I like the shaves I get from my Merkur 45C Bakelite, since it's so light I have to concentrate on my technique when I'm using it.

Likewise I like using my vintage Phillips Philite, for the same reason.

And those are just a few of the ones I have in my rotation, and I like the ones in my rotation that I havn't mentioned - that is why they are still in the rotation. On top of that there are many, many safety razors both vintage and modern I have not tried, both cheap and expensive. There are some really nice high end razors out there I would love to try, and there are some low cost options I would enjoy giving a go. And while some shavers will hunt for the One Razor that is perfect for them, I enjoy the variety and challenges that comes from mastering razors with a wide range of characteristics.

To me there is no "best safety razor". To me there is a set of features that I enjoy;
  • smallish head for ease of manoeuvring around the face.
  • balance point or centre of gravity just below the head, for the same reason.
  • a decent blade gap (that is, the distance between the edge and the base plate) for an efficient shave.
  • but not too large, since that creates an aggressive razor
  • open comb or a large opening behind the safety bar so it won't clog with lather.
  • easy to clean.
So while not a straight forward and easy answer to the question I was asked, I got to sit down and think about why I like the razors I do.

3 6,347
 07-31-2018, 04:34 AM
User Info
The best DE razor ever made is the Gillette OLD type, period.

0 268
 07-31-2018, 04:42 AM
User Info
I don't think it's been made yet. Maybe tomorrow.
I really like my Rex Ambassador, Feather D-2, Rockwell 6s.
These are the only ones I can use comfortably everyday.

1 1,073
 07-31-2018, 05:49 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
The best safety razor is the next one I buy or receive

14 788
 07-31-2018, 05:54 AM
User Info
(07-31-2018, 05:49 AM)SCOV Wrote: The best safety razor is the next one I buy or receive

+1
RAD is a unique disease without cure

62 1,470
 07-31-2018, 03:22 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
It’s impossible to pick just one. If I had to, it would be the Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique brass. Unparalleled performance, and uniquely beautiful. But that’s just me.

10 638
 07-31-2018, 03:44 PM
User Info
(07-31-2018, 04:34 AM)TobyC Wrote: The best DE razor ever made is the Gillette OLD type, period.

Well I'm glad that's solved!

0 803
 07-31-2018, 05:58 PM
User Info
Indeed. You should be feverishly designing a s.st'l replica.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2 85
 07-31-2018, 05:59 PM
User Info
(07-31-2018, 03:22 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: It’s impossible to pick just one. If I had to, it would be the Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique brass. Unparalleled performance, and uniquely beautiful. But that’s just me.
Beautiful indeed...but unparalleled? That's a tall order.

2 85
 07-31-2018, 06:12 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(07-31-2018, 05:59 PM)LOOT Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 03:22 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: It’s impossible to pick just one. If I had to, it would be the Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in antique brass. Unparalleled performance, and uniquely beautiful. But that’s just me.

I agree; it's a tall order. But in my den, that's the one. I certainly haven't used everything, however, and my face is different from everyone else's!

P.S. What's your "unparalleled," or at least those few that have no peers?

10 638
 08-01-2018, 04:08 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
The best razor is whatever works for you.

For some is a DE, others prefer a SE or a straight and for the majority of shavers is a cart. Unfortunately, we're the minority and we'll always be.

60 2,593
 08-01-2018, 04:08 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-30-2018, 09:04 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I was asked recently what safety razor I thought was the best one... and I found the question very hard to answer because, well... it's hard to pick just one; I have many favourites among the ones I own myself.

To me there is no "best safety razor". To me there is a set of features that I enjoy;
  • smallish head for ease of manoeuvring around the face.
  • balance point or centre of gravity just below the head, for the same reason.
  • a decent blade gap (that is, the distance between the edge and the base plate) for an efficient shave.
  • but not too large, since that creates an aggressive razor
  • open comb or a large opening behind the safety bar so it won't clog with lather.
  • easy to clean.
So while not a straight forward and easy answer to the question I was asked, I got to sit down and think about why I like the razors I do.

The issue with which you are struggling is not unique to the category of safety razors.  The issue is that the word “best” differs according to the distinct threads of criteria:  efficiency, safety, fun-to-use, eye appeal, etc.  Your list of disparate criteria underscores the point.

Removing the question to a non-safety-razor category might illustrate what I mean. What motor vehicle is the best one?  

A case can be made that the best motor vehicle ever produced was the Fifties-era Morgan +4; it was elbow-flapping shout-WHEE-out-loud fun, and that specific criterion may never have been as fully realized in any other car.  But the Morgan +4 was not especially weather-sealed, and the driver and (one maximum) passenger probably will arrive damp at the destination after driving through a rainstorm; moreover the Morgan’s oak frame would swell or shrink with heat and humidity, introducing new sounds of creaking or rattling into the not-well sound-insulated passenger compartment.  The various generations of the Honda/Acura NSX very adequately addressed and solved the Morgan +4’s shortcomings, but probably no one would allege that the NSX is the best motor vehicle ever produced.

On the other hand, if you are the primary driver of a large family, a very strong case can be made that the 9-passenger Mercedes-Benz Sprinter is the best motor vehicle ever produced, for obvious reasons.

Therefore, regarding safety razors, and to quote Marie in the musical Fiorello!
In re:
my law,
ad hoc,
to wit,
to woo:

The Feather MR/3 neo
is the one,
to direct,
your questioner to.

Marie: Whereas (whereat)
hereby (hereof)
herein (there-out, and furthermore)
My law
is what
the world
is waiting for.

1 1,364
 08-01-2018, 04:35 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
No best. Only favorites.

14 3,461
 08-01-2018, 02:09 PM
User Info
Out of the ones I have owned or tried...I really really love my Asylum Rx with mirror finish, and my Oneblade Genesis V2. I like those so much, I have been ignoring my straight razors a bit too much!

During the next deployment I will likely take an extra Asylum RX, and a straight razor (probably my 6/8 Ralf Aust).

Vr

Matt

21 1,224
 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM
User Info
Gillette New Improved is "my" best. Smooth, efficient and beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 11
 08-03-2018, 01:54 PM
  • Cino
User Info
Gillette Mach 3. End of discussion.

0 39
 08-03-2018, 01:58 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(08-01-2018, 02:09 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Out of the ones I have owned or tried...I really really love my Asylum Rx with mirror finish, and my Oneblade Genesis V2. I like those so much, I have been ignoring my straight razors a bit too much!

During the next deployment I will likely take an extra Asylum RX, and a straight razor (probably my 6/8 Ralf Aust).

Vr

Matt
Asylum Rx is by far the best AC type razor, IMO.

60 2,593
 08-03-2018, 04:20 PM
User Info
(07-31-2018, 06:12 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 05:59 PM)LOOT Wrote:

I agree; it's a tall order. But in my den, that's the one. I certainly haven't used everything, however, and my face is different from everyone else's!

P.S. What's your "unparalleled," or at least those few that have no peers?

The Charcoal Goods Lvl 3 is indeed very good.  I also have the Lvl 2 and an 3rd handle.  All in bright copper.  Fantastic looking pieces.  I prefer the Lvl 2 plate to be honest.  Both are great shavers tho.  I share your enthusiasm for CG...especially the L2.

Right now I'm into WR1's.  I have 4 different gaps.  A couple of the larger gaps are relatively new to me and are getting the bulk of the work at the moment. All are superb shavers.

I also love my Blackbird....and Shane is the best!  I try to work the Bird in there too.  It is always a pleasurable experience.  The Bird got me hooked on hunting other blade forward razors, so it's special.

I have a hard time picking a favorite, or even Top 5.  I like having a bunch that I enjoy for different reasons.

2 85
 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
User Info
I hope is the Paradigm Ti II

9 1,513
 08-03-2018, 05:26 PM
User Info
As of today it is the Wolfman .86 WR1. Tmw it may be different. I like to rotate depending on my mood.
Timeless.95
Paradigm 17-4
Blackbird
Charcoal Goods Level 2
Karve F plate
British 15 Crat
Slim H3
Cobra Classic

28 489