08-02-2018, 05:55 AM
User Info
Anyone here who owns the Simfix SF1 Synthetic Bristle faux Ebony brush?
It's £17.95 from Simpson but there's very little info on it.

4 106
 08-10-2018, 11:28 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
also interested and looking for more info on the new Petrol Head synthetic also. In the badger part there are some really special wooden handles available (not my thing).

29 1,503
 08-11-2018, 05:22 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I bought one a month or so ago. Isle of Man to NYC was approximately one week. Zip, zip! The handle is essentially the same basic size and profile of a Duke 3. However it doesn’t feel quite as substantial - density, weight, heft etc. They feel as though they’re made from different rod stock. Imo the knot is good, not great. The Chubby 2 synth bristles seem to have softer tips. This strikes me as unusual. I doubt Simpson is sourcing different synthetic bristles for various lines of brushes, but they do feel somewhat different - perhaps due to density of the knot. The Simfix isn’t as dense (obviously) as the Chubby. They are clearly very different brushes. Backbone on the SF1 is good. Flow through is good. The SF1 knot is easier to control than that of a Plisson; probably due to the latter’s softer bristles which splay more easily. All told, for under $30 U.S., shipped, it’s a decent value for those looking for something different. It fits in the gray Muhle travel tube and is a fine choice if you’re looking for an inexpensive brush for your Dopp kit. I took the liberty of photographing my synth brushes for visual comparison.

[Image: JcEV7Sf.jpg]
[Image: zPOZYYk.jpg]

8 2,860
 08-11-2018, 05:43 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Thanks, I ordered some cremes this morning (57% off) and hesitated with the brush, I had 2 Chubby's and didn't get along with them so in the end I didn't buy one.

29 1,503
 08-11-2018, 09:52 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-11-2018, 05:43 AM)Snuff Wrote: Thanks, I ordered some cremes this morning (57% off) and hesitated with the brush, I had 2 Chubby's and didn't get along with them so in the end I didn't buy one.

The Simfix is completely unlike a Chubby. I didn't know what the SF1 would feel like prior to purchase and use. It's a unique feel. Don't forget, too, it's synthetic, so right there, it's a whole different mind set. If you feel like something different and reasonably priced the SF1 is a worthy choice.

8 2,860
 08-12-2018, 08:26 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Just packed the SF1 for a one night trip. Will report back on its first road use on Wednesday.

8 2,860
 08-18-2018, 11:15 AM
User Info
(08-12-2018, 08:26 PM)chazt Wrote: Just packed the SF1 for a one night trip. Will report back on its first road use on Wednesday.

Did the SF1 behave on the trip? Smile

Very nice collection of synthetics!

4 106
 08-18-2018, 11:47 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-18-2018, 11:15 AM)SirWhiskers Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 08:26 PM)chazt Wrote: Just packed the SF1 for a one night trip. Will report back on its first road use on Wednesday.

Did the SF1 behave on the trip? Smile

Very nice collection of synthetics!

Sorry for the delay. I lost track of time.

The brush served it’s purpose. It made lather. It worked as you’d expect a synthetic brush would. Lots of good, quick lather, and easy rinsability. I shaved, and half an hour later it was packed in my luggage. A few hours later, I unpacked and it seemed dry and no worse for wear. It wasn’t a lather party if you know what I mean, but the brush worked as intended. Granted, I haven’t tried every synthetic brush on the market, but the Chubby 2 synth remains as the benchmark in the category, imo. But then, look at the price differential, and it becomes apples and oranges. SF1 is a good travel brush.

8 2,860
 08-18-2018, 12:02 PM
User Info
Thanks for the update. A few words on the other brushes in your pic please? What are the first and second in the back row?

4 106
 08-18-2018, 01:02 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-18-2018, 12:02 PM)SirWhiskers Wrote: Thanks for the update. A few words on the other brushes in your pic please? What are the first and second in the back row?

On the left is aTom Earley (wreck|fish) / Endeavor Brush Works handle paired with an Elite Razor 26mm Tuxedo knot. Tom and I collaborated on the design of the brush http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...hlight=Y28. Bob Quinn (Eskimo) / Elite Razor set the knot. It compares quite favorably to a Simpsons Chubby 2 synth imo. To its right is another Elite Razor brush. The handle is made of resin dubbed Molten Metal. The knot is 24mm of soft, cloud-like bliss known as Mother Lode. It’s the softest shave brush knot I’ve tried. Softer even than the Plisson.

8 2,860