09-07-2012, 02:25 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Hey Nook!

So I've apparently been bitten with a mild case of R.A.D. and I've procured my first slant razor. (A sharp looking vintage hoffritz...)

Any tips on how to get on with this for a smooth shave without planing skin off my face? It looks a little vicious at first glance 24

And yes, I know some threads are worthless without pics... I won't disappoint Cool

11 366
 09-07-2012, 03:33 PM
User Info
Just do what you usually do with your other razors. It just takes a bit of practice. Slow and easy, my friend.
Yes, pictures, please. Congratulations.

75 20,883
 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Pretend its like any other razor. Do your normal shaves and don't think about it.

100 12,447
 09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
User Info
Don't Fear the Reaper, Brian!

Dude! If its anything like the newer Merkurs, 37 or 39C's, I think you will be shocked at how smooth the shave is. By its appearance and by its reputation it sounds like an evil beast few have tamed. But quite honestly, its a very effective razor that has the added bonus of being very comfortable.

Here's my tips for using it, and they are almost identical to using any other DE. Watch the pressure, watch any sideways motion (If you ever Gillette Slide, dont do that with the slant). Also, as you may notice the head shape is a little different. What I have found as have others is it will work more effectively and comfortably with a slightly steeper angle, meaning closer to parralel to your face than perpendicular. But, find what angle feels best to you ultimately.

I'm stoked to hear what you think! Enjoy it man!

4 253
 09-07-2012, 04:38 PM
User Info
(09-07-2012, 04:22 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Don't Fear the Reaper, Brian!

Dude! If its anything like the newer Merkurs, 37 or 39C's, I think you will be shocked at how smooth the shave is. By its appearance and by its reputation it sounds like an evil beast few have tamed. But quite honestly, its a very effective razor that has the added bonus of being very comfortable.

Here's my tips for using it, and they are almost identical to using any other DE. Watch the pressure, watch any sideways motion (If you ever Gillette Slide, dont do that with the slant). Also, as you may notice the head shape is a little different. What I have found as have others is it will work more effectively and comfortably with a slightly steeper angle, meaning closer to parralel to your face than perpendicular. But, find what angle feels best to you ultimately.

+1, thanks for saving me some typing!

31 7,914
 09-07-2012, 04:41 PM
User Info
Agree with all the above. The slant is not to be feared if technique is good.

15 316
 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM
User Info
I shave with my slant like any DE razor. No problems. Close shave. Smooth shave.

21 1,478
 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Same as everyone else here, Brian. Just pretty much follow your normal routine. Slants offer up some excellent shaves so just enjoy. Smile

2 11,211
 09-09-2012, 07:02 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
THAT WAS IT?

Thank you, gentlemen, for all of the great tips and encouragement... I just took my "new" hoffritz for a spin, and you were all exactly right.
Honestly, it was more on par with how I would expect the 34c to shave. There really wasn't anything too different about the slant at all.

I typically do four passes to get a BBS. As per my normal "testing" rules, I only did three passes tonight so I could try and gauge the slant's efficiency.

All in all, it was really fun to try something different and I look forward to getting to know this little guy better in time. Given the ability to get pretty close in three passes, I see this as a definite candidate for "quicker" (but not rushed) shaves.

And though it's not the best picture you'll see today, here's a quick SOTD pic to show off my new toy Biggrin

[Image: OKZHpl.jpg]

11 366
 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, that is a very good looking razor. Continue using it in the best of health. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I will add that slants tend to be a tad fickle in blade selection, so be sure to try many different ones before you form a real representation. They typically require a bit of fiddling with the cap/blade to keep the blade exposure even along that torsional twist it makes.

135 1,947
 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Good stuff Brian!!

115 1,692
 09-09-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
Well done brian. I have the Proraso on deck to be used tomorrow.

31 7,914
 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
(09-07-2012, 04:22 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Don't Fear the Reaper, Brian!

(09-09-2012, 07:23 PM)Shanman Wrote: I will add that slants tend to be a tad fickle in blade selection, so be sure to try many different ones before you form a real representation. They typically require a bit of fiddling with the cap/blade to keep the blade exposure even along that torsional twist it makes.

I second these motions! Glad the first shave went well.

47 1,270