08-05-2018, 10:26 AM
User Info
Thoughts from the board on this legendary hand tied brush?

[Image: Tnuz8Uw.jpg]

3 224
 08-05-2018, 10:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Sure is good looking. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

10 3,106
 08-05-2018, 10:28 AM
User Info
It uses shave soap! Lots of hair, lots of backbone and lots of lather hogging! Wink 

Never had a Chubby but I am sure you will see what the fuss is all about.

83 1,602
 08-05-2018, 10:41 AM
User Info
I picked it up for $250 which I thought was a fair price as the new ones are $430.00.  The guy on eBay said he just purchased it in May, 2018 and it has been used about 10 times!

3 224
 08-05-2018, 10:42 AM
User Info
(08-05-2018, 10:27 AM)chazt Wrote: Sure is good looking. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

Thank you sir!  Happy Shaving!

3 224
 08-05-2018, 12:10 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I'd say you got yourself a nice brush. well done.

0 296
 08-05-2018, 08:46 PM
User Info
I would be little apprehensive on this buy...price is very very good to believe.

Is the brush with you already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,165
 08-06-2018, 02:41 AM
User Info
(08-05-2018, 08:46 PM)Jags009 Wrote: I would be little apprehensive on this buy...price is very very good to believe.

@Jags009   It ships today. I should have it Wednesday.  I know as it is a $430.00 brush.  What I love about eBay is if you don't get the item as advertised or if it is never delivered they give you your money back with no fuss or questions asked. I have had to do that a few time through eBay and I got my money back easily.  Not much of a risk here to purchase through eBay.

3 224
 08-06-2018, 02:50 AM
User Info
I will let you know when I receive it and my thoughts on it.  Happy Shaving!

3 224
 08-06-2018, 02:58 AM
User Info
Saw this picture on the Simpson's Facebook page and thought it was pretty cool.  Hand tied Chubbies!

[Image: NAdDDMq.jpg]

3 224
 08-06-2018, 05:51 AM
User Info
(08-06-2018, 02:41 AM)discerningbev Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 08:46 PM)Jags009 Wrote: I would be little apprehensive on this buy...price is very very good to believe.

@Jags009   It ships today. I should have it Wednesday.  I know as it is a $430.00 brush.  What I love about eBay is if you don't get the item as advertised or if it is never delivered they give you your money back with no fuss or questions asked. I have had to do that a few time through eBay and I got my money back easily.  Not much of a risk here to purchase through eBay.

If I was to take an educated guess, I would say that the buyer is likely to be selling because of the loft. Go back 5 years and the loft of a CH2 and CH3 Manchurian was around 49mm and 54mm, respectively, in a Fan/hybrid shaped knot. For some reason, these brushes are now coming out around 52mm and 57mm, but with a more bulb/hybrid shaped knot. I bought a CH3 towards the end of last year and moved it on fairly quickly for this reason. It didn't have the scrub for which Chubbies have been known, and which I love. I very much doubt it has anything to do with the hair itself as recent batches have been quite exceptional in both softness and having zero scritch.

35 5,353
 08-07-2018, 01:07 AM
User Info
(08-06-2018, 05:51 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 02:41 AM)discerningbev Wrote:

If I was to take an educated guess, I would say that the buyer is likely to be selling because of the loft. Go back 5 years and the loft of a CH2 and CH3 Manchurian was around 49mm and 54mm, respectively, in a Fan/hybrid shaped knot. For some reason, these brushes are now coming out around 52mm and 57mm, but with a more bulb/hybrid shaped knot. I bought a CH3 towards the end of last year and moved it on fairly quickly for this reason. It didn't have the scrub for which Chubbies have been known, and which I love. I very much doubt it has anything to do with the hair itself as recent batches have been quite exceptional in both softness and having zero scritch.

Gotcha and I appreciate your insight!  Did you have a caliber to measure this?  The Simpson website is showing the Chubby 3 Manchurian at a 54mm loft currently.  Of course it is also showing the Chubby 3 at a 28.5mm knot and I believe it is around 30mm.

3 224
 08-07-2018, 01:46 AM
User Info
(08-07-2018, 01:07 AM)discerningbev Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 05:51 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 02:41 AM)discerningbev Wrote: @Jags009   It ships today. I should have it Wednesday.  I know as it is a $430.00 brush.  What I love about eBay is if you don't get the item as advertised or if it is never delivered they give you your money back with no fuss or questions asked. I have had to do that a few time through eBay and I got my money back easily.  Not much of a risk here to purchase through eBay.

Gotcha and I appreciate your insight!  Did you have a caliber to measure this?  The Simpson website is showing the Chubby 3 Manchurian at a 54mm loft currently.  Of course it is also showing the Chubby 3 at a 28.5mm knot and I believe it is around 30mm.

Unfortunately, I don't own calipers. I simply use a ruler to measure diameter and loft.

Yes, you are correct in saying that the loft is given as approx 54mm for a CH3 on the website. A few years ago, this would have been correct and, again, I don't understand why Mark continues to put this as it is clearly below what is being produced now.  I have a 2013 CH3 with a loft of 54mm. The sapphire I purchased from Mark, last November, was a shade over 57mm. I sold it and subsequently asked Mark for a custom CH3 with a 54mm loft and he delivered that.

Diameter measurement is a little ambiguous as strictly speaking it's measured at the base of the knot, not at the handle opening where it tends to be slightly larger anyway.

I should add that loft is a personal thing, of course. Whilst I find the current offerings not exactly to my preferred specification, there are many who will love these higher lofts. I know of at least two.

35 5,353
 08-07-2018, 01:59 AM
User Info
(08-07-2018, 01:46 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 01:07 AM)discerningbev Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 05:51 AM)Optometrist Wrote: If I was to take an educated guess, I would say that the buyer is likely to be selling because of the loft. Go back 5 years and the loft of a CH2 and CH3 Manchurian was around 49mm and 54mm, respectively, in a Fan/hybrid shaped knot. For some reason, these brushes are now coming out around 52mm and 57mm, but with a more bulb/hybrid shaped knot. I bought a CH3 towards the end of last year and moved it on fairly quickly for this reason. It didn't have the scrub for which Chubbies have been known, and which I love. I very much doubt it has anything to do with the hair itself as recent batches have been quite exceptional in both softness and having zero scritch.

Unfortunately, I don't own calipers. I simply use a ruler to measure diameter and loft.

Yes, you are correct in saying that the loft is given as approx 54mm for a CH3 on the website. A few years ago, this would have been correct and, again, I don't understand why Mark continues to put this as it is clearly below what is being produced now.  I have a 2013 CH3 with a loft of 54mm. The sapphire I purchased from Mark, last November, was a shade over 57mm. I sold it and subsequently asked Mark for a custom CH3 with a 54mm loft and he delivered that.

Diameter measurement is a little ambiguous as strictly speaking it's measured at the base of the knot, not at the handle opening where it tends to be slightly larger anyway.

I should add that loft is a personal thing, of course. Whilst I find the current offerings not exactly to my preferred specification, there are many who will love these higher lofts. I know of at least two.

Understood!  Maybe Mark from Simpson's can chime in here.  Isn't he a sponsor on this forum?  How do you tag him on this discussion?

3 224
 08-07-2018, 02:15 AM
User Info
I know Mark looks at the forum from time to time. I'd love to know the thinking behind the loft change over the years.

Mark....... Icon_popcorn

35 5,353
 08-08-2018, 10:13 AM
User Info
(08-07-2018, 02:15 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I know Mark looks at the forum from time to time. I'd love to know the thinking behind the loft change over the years.

Mark....... Icon_popcorn

You are correct. Just got the Chubby 3 Manchurian in and it has no scrub at all just pillowy soft. Actually reminds me of my 30mm B5 Declaration.

3 224
 08-09-2018, 01:22 AM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 10:13 AM)discerningbev Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 02:15 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I know Mark looks at the forum from time to time. I'd love to know the thinking behind the loft change over the years.

Mark....... Icon_popcorn

You are correct. Just got the Chubby 3 Manchurian in and it has no scrub at all just pillowy soft. Actually reminds me of my 30mm B5 Declaration.

To me, these latest CH3 Manchurians work more like a mop than a scrubby face-lathering brush. It only takes an extra 3-4mm in loft to change it from the latter to the former.

I'm guessing Mark is on holiday at the moment. I've noticed the Twitter page hasn't been updated for quite some time now.

35 5,353
 08-09-2018, 04:21 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
All of this is obviously YMMV.

I owned two Manchurian Chubby 2s: one from 2017 (cream handle) with a loft of 49mm that I ordered directly from Mark and one from 2016 (faux tortoise) 

that I bought on BST. The latter with a loft of around 52mm. Knot diameter on both about 28/29mm. Both featured similar batches of hair that I would describe as pretty soft for Manchurian. The first one was my comparison brush in the Maseto Shaving thread http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=47810 

The shorter lofted Chubby also features a more pointed hybrid fan contributing to a rougher face feel. Even after about 30 uses I found this brush way to harsh for my liking and I eventually sold it.

The second Manchurian, however, with the taller loft has become my favorite Manchurian I ever owned. I also have a 58 with a loft of 52mm vs standard of 49mm and I feel the same about that one.

[Image: PBtlAHd.jpg]

[Image: qWielYs.jpg]

43 2,046
 08-09-2018, 06:55 AM
User Info
It's very much YMMV, Georg, as with your comparison and yourself preferring the higher loft of the two CH2 brushes.

I have several CH2 Manchurians ranging from 48mm loft (2013 brush and my favourite) up to 52.5mm(most recent purchase and least favourite). The issue I have is more to do with the current CH3 brushes and, again, this is only my opinion. The CH2 range, even at 52mm, is quite acceptable to me as the knot still retains excellent backbone and scrub at this level. Going to a CH3, however, where the knot diameter is only a millimetre or so wider, provides a lot of splay and less backbone/scrub at 57mm. The increase in loft for the current CH3 brushes, compared to those of a few years ago, makes for a far bigger difference in feel and performance than the change for the CH2.

As I have already said, there are some that like the higher loft, but the Chubby series has long been considered a face-lathering brush series and, IMO, the higher loft now in the CH3 detracts from the feel it's long been known and loved for. Again, YMMV.

35 5,353
 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(08-09-2018, 06:55 AM)Optometrist Wrote: It's very much YMMV, Georg, as with your comparison and yourself preferring the higher loft of the two CH2 brushes.

I have several CH2 Manchurians ranging from 48mm loft (2013 brush and my favourite) up to 52.5mm(most recent purchase and least favourite). The issue I have is more to do with the current CH3 brushes and, again, this is only my opinion. The CH2 range, even at 52mm, is quite acceptable to me as the knot still retains excellent backbone and scrub at this level. Going to a CH3, however, where the knot diameter is only a millimetre or so wider, provides a lot of splay and less backbone/scrub at 57mm. The increase in loft for the current CH3 brushes, compared to those of a few years ago, makes for a far bigger difference in feel and performance than the change for the CH2.

As I have already said, there are some that like the higher loft, but the Chubby series has long been considered a face-lathering brush series and, IMO, the higher loft now in the CH3 detracts from the feel it's long been known and loved for. Again, YMMV.

I see now your point re: Chubby 3, David. Indeed a loft of 57mm seems quite high for the small diameter difference.

43 2,046