08-06-2018, 07:06 PM
User Info
A while back I purchased a plexi handle Thater 26mm brush from a great member on here. I had just days earlier purchased a 24mm Thater from Bullgoose. Needless to say that ever since I got that 26mm that it’s all I use. My question is for those that use bigger knots from Shavemac or Thater do you ever see any downside to them. For me it seems this 26mm makes lathering so much easier. I seem to always get the perfect amount of soap loaded and it feels like a big cloud on my face. Sooner or later I want to get a 30mm shavemac like some on here have, but like I asked is there any downside to having a brush this big other than price and the fact it kills through soap faster?

16 1,084
 08-06-2018, 07:57 PM
  • Anick
  • TEXAS
User Info

[Image: OuZVZbf.jpg]26mm is the smallest i like but i do have a 24mm synthetic for travel. I also have a bk12 that i tried once and now its just a display piece. My 26mm and 28mm TGN finest are bigger than normal too. I love the face feeling of big knots and loads of soap on my face and to me, using soap up "fast" is good. That way i can trying a different one.

0 10
 08-06-2018, 08:53 PM
User Info
(08-06-2018, 07:57 PM)Anick Wrote:
[Image: OuZVZbf.jpg]26mm is the smallest i like but i do have a 24mm synthetic for travel. I also have a bk12 that i tried once and now its just a display piece. My 26mm and 28mm TGN finest are bigger than normal too. I love the face feeling of big knots and loads of soap on my face and to me, using soap up "fast" is good. That way i can trying a different one.

Great way of thinking, the quicker you can eat up the soaps you can move on to others. And while I by no means stick to one soap at a time, getting rid of some might actually be an accomplishment.

16 1,084
 08-07-2018, 11:28 AM
User Info
Too much is never enough.

0 328
 08-07-2018, 12:32 PM
User Info
A big brush takes a bit longer to dry, a bigger handle might not be for all people, and bigger costs more. Depending on the loft, you can have a brush that literally covers your face in lather in one pass. Try cramming one of those monster brushes into a container to lather with can be nigh impossible. There are negatives, but one man's negatives can be another man's pluses.

30 850
 08-07-2018, 01:19 PM
User Info
I am a small knot guy, 24 is probably the sweet spot. However this happened one day and I love it. Something about the Cubby that just works. [Image: 01ecb6d7c2cc1e690bcd4544f2f7b5ac.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 11
 08-08-2018, 03:30 AM
  • jar
User Info
Kinda large:

From left: Truefitt & Hill Simpson Chubby 3; Kent H-12; likely a Rooney; Simpson 58
[Image: large.jpg]

and next to a Wee Scot;
[Image: standard.jpg]

0 256
 08-08-2018, 05:05 AM
User Info
I love big knots and I can not lie !

11 86
 08-08-2018, 07:24 AM
User Info
The majority of my brushes are 30+ mm. 
The size of a knot that you enjoy is completely subjective.
The principal advantage is that larger knots can cover more area on your face, head or legs, depending on what you shave, and if you have too many soaps, these larger knots can help you deplete your collection, quicker than smaller knots. 
The main disadvantage of larger knots can be the weight of the overall brush depending on the material you choose for the handle. 
I have a Shavemac Americana XL with a 36mm Unique Silvertip 2-Band knot and it is a substantially heavy brush which could cause a bit of fatigue for some folks while lathering, especially, face-lathering. 
Larger knots also require a longer drying time, and they do require more soap which might be a negative aspect, for some.

89 21,194
 08-08-2018, 11:53 AM
User Info
[Image: P3XMltR.jpg]

Shavemac Bruiser Squad

36mm 2-band D01 Unique
36mm 2-band Silvertip Unique
33mm 2-band Pre-2005 D01

I don't think I've ever shared a picture of these three together, but they are huge. About 65% of the way there to the size of a can of soda I would estimate.

30 850
 08-08-2018, 07:38 PM
User Info
Joe, that D01 2-Band Unique knot must be quite dense and scrubby. It surely is beautiful.  Shy

89 21,194
 08-08-2018, 09:23 PM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 07:38 PM)celestino Wrote: Joe, that D01 2-Band Unique knot must be quite dense and scrubby. It surely is beautiful.  Shy

It is indeed quite dense and scrubby. Not too scrubby though! Just enough to be pleasant. Thank you for the compliments! Smile

30 850
 08-08-2018, 10:40 PM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 11:53 AM)kooshman7 Wrote: [Image: P3XMltR.jpg]

Shavemac Bruiser Squad

36mm 2-band D01 Unique
33mm 2-band Pre-2005 D01

I don't think I've ever shared a picture of these three together, but they are huge. About 65% of the way there to the size of a can of soda I would estimate.

Those look awesome! Ive never used a D01, What would you compare them to? I've noticed, almost all I've seen have been in bulb shape. I generally prefer fan shape, or hybrid, but by what i know about the D01 characteristics, I would think more would be inclined to lean towards a fan shape *shrug

I generally prefer larger knots, 30mm (which sometimes actually measure 32mm) with relatively shorter lofts, are what many in my collection are, but I'm also very comfortable with a 26mm or 28mm in fan shape. I have a M&F 2XL bulb and while it feels very nice on my face (and softer than other M&F finest I have), it feels small to me. I have other brushes that are smaller too, but i do prefer the larger size knots. Declaration Franklin is a size and shape I really like, its a shame he no longer makes them. I am genuinely curious as to why he no longer produces them.

I enjoy the face feel of larger knots, as well as the larger handles they come in, they feel more comfortable to me. I used to care more about how much soap they can use, but I don't really concern myself with it as much these days. Theres always a new soap i want to try, and I like to switch it up daily, so there is a fairly sizable collection to draw from. I don't foresee myself running out of soap any time in the near future. For some of the harder to come by soaps, I may reach for a 26mm or 28mm as not to use it up too fast, but I know there will continue to be another new soap i want to try soon, so i just don't think about conserving them as much as i used to. Dry time is a concern, some take 3 days to dry completely. That said, I have a (somewhat random) rotation, so there is always enough dry time and then some between uses. 

I don't think there is a downside, just what you've mentioned already, specifically the dry time. just as long as you have a few days between uses you'll be fine. 
=)

8 385
 08-08-2018, 11:55 PM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 10:40 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 11:53 AM)kooshman7 Wrote: [Image: P3XMltR.jpg]

Shavemac Bruiser Squad

36mm 2-band D01 Unique
33mm 2-band Pre-2005 D01

Those look awesome! Ive never used a D01, What would you compare them to? I've noticed, almost all I've seen have been in bulb shape. I generally prefer fan shape, or hybrid, but by what i know about the D01 characteristics, I would think more would be inclined to lean towards a fan shape *shrug

I generally prefer larger knots, 30mm (which sometimes actually measure 32mm) with relatively shorter lofts, are what many in my collection are, but I'm also very comfortable with a 26mm or 28mm in fan shape. I have a M&F 2XL bulb and while it feels very nice on my face (and softer than other M&F finest I have), it feels small to me. I have other brushes that are smaller too, but i do prefer the larger size knots. Declaration Franklin is a size and shape I really like, its a shame he no longer makes them. I am genuinely curious as to why he no longer produces them.

I enjoy the face feel of larger knots, as well as the larger handles they come in, they feel more comfortable to me. I used to care more about how much soap they can use, but I don't really concern myself with it as much these days. Theres always a new soap i want to try, and I like to switch it up daily, so there is a fairly sizable collection to draw from. I don't foresee myself running out of soap any time in the near future. For some of the harder to come by soaps, I may reach for a 26mm or 28mm as not to use it up too fast, but I know there will continue to be another new soap i want to try soon, so i just don't think about conserving them as much as i used to. Dry time is a concern, some take 3 days to dry completely. That said, I have a (somewhat random) rotation, so there is always enough dry time and then some between uses. 

I don't think there is a downside, just what you've mentioned already, specifically the dry time. just as long as you have a few days between uses you'll be fine. 
=)

Thanks! For me the D01 2-band is very similar to Simpson Manchurian. There's a similar backbone and tip feel to both. Differences can be made, but it is a dense hair type with strong backbone and tips with some scrub which I would say about both of the two hair types. It might not be seen often for fan or hybrid types but 2-band D01 does quite well in those shapes.

[Image: qGSaeCI.jpg]

The left is an ATG Flat Top 2-band D01 28mm knot, and the right is a 173 25.5mm Fan 2-band D01. The shape of the 173 is absolutely killer. Very dense, excellent backbone, and tips that give a firm massaging action but soft at the same time. It's not prickly, and I hesitate to say scrubby as it's not harsh. It's just a very pleasing face feel.

The ATG has less backbone of course because of the knot shape and splays a bit easier, but this 2-band D01 blooms less than a 23mm 3-band D01 I had years ago. It functions much better than what one might think it does, and feeling all the tips at once is a splendid feeling. The loft, resiliency of the hair with its backbone, and the shape of the knot makes for a very unique feel without splaying too much. 

I understand what you are talking about with your M&F 2XL Bulb feeling small. I have a Rooney 2XL in Bulb, and a M&F 1/3 Finest in Fan, and while the Rooney is slightly larger in the knot than the M&F is, the M&F wins out for how large it feels thanks to a taller loft. People often gravitate to a larger knot to get a larger feeling brush, but I think they would get much closer to what they are looking for by staying down in the brush size but getting a longer loft.

The Shavemac Lotus and the Americana XL have the same knot, but I guarantee the XL wins in terms of how big it feels thanks to the fan shape which allows it to spread out more easily. I could go down in knot size and find a brush that would give the XL a good run for its money if not beat it out again thanks to its loft and it's a bulb shaped knot. Each brush is unique for all of its contributing factors. Knot shape, knot density, the loft of the brush used, the type of fiber that is used, was a glue plug used in the brush, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. 

I agree in not worrying about how a larger brush uses more soap and cream. For me at this point it is actually a benefit as I have plenty of both I need to go through. Especially the shaving creams. Also, to not forget about it, it is indeed a shame the Franklin is no longer available. I have one of those and everything on it is to my liking.

30 850
 08-09-2018, 12:26 AM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 11:55 PM)kooshman7 Wrote:  I hesitate to say scrubby as it's not harsh. It's just a very pleasing face feel.

People often gravitate to a larger knot to get a larger feeling brush, but I think they would get much closer to what they are looking for by staying down in the brush size but getting a longer loft.

The Shavemac Lotus and the Americana XL have the same knot, but I guarantee the XL wins in terms of how big it feels thanks to the fan shape which allows it to spread out more easily. I could go down in knot size and find a brush that would give the XL a good run for its money if not beat it out again thanks to its loft and it's a bulb shaped knot. Each brush is unique for all of its contributing factors. Knot shape, knot density, the loft of the brush used, the type of fiber that is used, was a glue plug used in the brush, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. 

I agree in not worrying about how a larger brush uses more soap and cream. For me at this point it is actually a benefit as I have plenty of both I need to go through. Especially the shaving creams. Also, to not forget about it, it is indeed a shame the Franklin is no longer available. I have one of those and everything on it is to my liking.
Edit: I have a 23mm (more like 25 lol) Shavemac Silvertip in a 173, and while the hair isn't the same, it is the same shape, and in use, that brush is AWESOME! 

I have a great appreciation for this exact description. a very large of the experience wet shaving is using a brush, not just making the lather, but the sensation the brush creates. While i do enjoy VERY scrubby brushes, I also enjoy gel tips, they each have their uses and days when i would prefer one over the other, or somewhere in between.

As far as knot diameter and loft, from my experience with a few varietals of each, I generally do prefer larger diameter with shorter lofts. I just don't really dig a lot of splay, despite splay helping aerate the later a good bit. I like the feel of the shorter loft action, where taller lofts feel like there is too much movement in the hair to me, for whatever reason. I think each individual person needs to try each to see what they really like. This all depends, of course, on the hair being used, which makes a HUGE difference on what size and shape will feel like. That leads back to my original comment lol, regarding D01 hair and the shapes I've seen  Cool

The Star Spangled Franklin B2 is my favorite Declaraton brush. For whatever reason, that particular brush has a different shape knot than any other he has made. It's slightly more hybrid shape than any other, and IMHO, lends itself SO well to that diameter, loft, hair, it's just a great combination of attributes, in my opinion
Smile

8 385
 08-09-2018, 12:34 AM
User Info
One last picture.

[Image: hTGvS8j.jpg]

All of these VP Leonhardy's are of the XXXX50 line, their largest. 700050 on the left, 800050 (2-band) in the middle, and 700050 (Pointed) on the right. Funny enough bought in that order too. All of them are above 26mm, well within .5mm of each other. Lofts of varying degrees. Couldn't be more different from one another. The first one is the softest thanks to its loft and thanks to its loft the least backbone. The second has the most backbone despite having more of a fan shape vs a point of the third but wins out there thanks to it being 2-band hair. Softness I would rank 2nd. The last one while neither the softest because of it having the shortest loft and a pointed knot, it is softer than the second due to it is silvertip, and would rank second for backbone thanks to the lower loft and the pointed knot.

In terms of how large they feel a straight 1st, 2nd, 3rd finish. The first one would even beat out the big 33mm Shavemac thanks to the hybrid shape of its knot and much higher loft in terms of which brush felt bigger, but if you wanted a brush with better backbone or a handle with more girth while still feeling large, the Shavemac will take the win. That's the last of my late night ramblings. I hope the VP Leonhardy's were a joy to view and to show a limited slice of the variety you can get in a large brush with different changes!

30 850
 08-09-2018, 12:37 AM
User Info
(08-09-2018, 12:26 AM)vigilantesd Wrote: The Star Spangled Franklin B2 is my favorite Declaraton brush. For whatever reason, that particular brush has a different shape knot than any other he has made. It's slightly more hybrid shape than any other, and IMHO, lends itself SO well to that diameter, loft, hair, it's just a great combination of attributes, in my opinion

Smile

The Franklin really is wonderful! I have just a plain jane B1 Franklin, but I like it so I guess that's all that matters. I forgot about the Star Spangled Franklin and just how great it looks! Smile

30 850
 08-09-2018, 05:24 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Joe the VP Leo 2 band looks so sweet. I've always been on the fence with these....

8 2,833
 08-09-2018, 02:51 PM
User Info
(08-09-2018, 05:24 AM)chazt Wrote: Joe the VP Leo 2 band looks so sweet. I've always been on the fence with these....

Thanks Charlie! It really is a good brush. The handle might be a bit too big for some, but thankfully there are 2 other sizes to choose from. I chose the 800050 as I liked the the 700050, but it was quite lofty. I wanted to try VP Leonhardy's 2-band, and the brush looked good. I knew it would offer more tip contact with the smaller loft, and I suspected the density would be more than adequate for my needs and have the flowthrough that I wanted. It proved itself to be what I was hoping for. I would say that the hair most closely resembles Shavemac's 2-band hairs with it being a cross between the 2-band Silvertip and D01. The tips have a feel closer to the D01 and with similar springiness in the hair shaft, but the thickness of the hair and density is closer to the 2-band Silvertip but not quite there. It's like the 2-band Silvertip is a high density knot, and the VP is the standard density.

30 850
 08-09-2018, 10:06 PM
User Info
(08-09-2018, 12:37 AM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 12:26 AM)vigilantesd Wrote: The Star Spangled Franklin B2 is my favorite Declaraton brush. For whatever reason, that particular brush has a different shape knot than any other he has made. It's slightly more hybrid shape than any other, and IMHO, lends itself SO well to that diameter, loft, hair, it's just a great combination of attributes, in my opinion

Smile

The Franklin really is wonderful! I have just a plain jane B1 Franklin, but I like it so I guess that's all that matters. I forgot about the Star Spangled Franklin and just how great it looks! Smile
It may not be as plain as you think. For B1, Scott was still putting the pearl in the "Unicorn Ivory" Alumilite. If you hold it up to light, you should see a very light iridescence. He has since discontinued that detail =)

8 385