08-09-2018, 10:35 PM
User Info
(08-09-2018, 10:06 PM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 12:37 AM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 12:26 AM)vigilantesd Wrote: The Star Spangled Franklin B2 is my favorite Declaraton brush. For whatever reason, that particular brush has a different shape knot than any other he has made. It's slightly more hybrid shape than any other, and IMHO, lends itself SO well to that diameter, loft, hair, it's just a great combination of attributes, in my opinion

Smile

The Franklin really is wonderful! I have just a plain jane B1 Franklin, but I like it so I guess that's all that matters. I forgot about the Star Spangled Franklin and just how great it looks! Smile
It may not be as plain as you think. For B1, Scott was still putting the pearl in the "Unicorn Ivory" Alumilite. If you hold it up to light, you should see a very light iridescence. He has since discontinued that detail =)

I'll have to look for that. Some brushes I haven't followed as much. Seems Scott posts more information elsewhere, and I stick to the forums. When did he discontinue putting the pearl in the Unicorn Ivory?

30 850
 08-10-2018, 04:25 AM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 07:24 AM)celestino Wrote: The majority of my brushes are 30+ mm. 
The size of a knot that you enjoy is completely subjective.
The principal advantage is that larger knots can cover more area on your face, head or legs, depending on what you shave, and if you have too many soaps, these larger knots can help you deplete your collection, quicker than smaller knots. 
The main disadvantage of larger knots can be the weight of the overall brush depending on the material you choose for the handle. 
I have a Shavemac Americana XL with a 36mm Unique Silvertip 2-Band knot and it is a substantially heavy brush which could cause a bit of fatigue for some folks while lathering, especially, face-lathering. 
Larger knots also require a longer drying time, and they do require more soap which might be a negative aspect, for some.

using more soap is a necessity for me.  pulled out tabac this morning, it was hidden away.  Fresh face this a.m. for a hot Oregon day.  got my American xl personalized with my name so it  is a keeper.  90 % of my brushes are 26 +

78 1,406
 08-10-2018, 05:21 AM
User Info
BIG knots...……….Little knots. I find technique more important..... Winky 
I get a really great lather from my little Omega(small one in picture)
It seems most of my brushes are 26 or smaller.
BIG or Small....it's all in the lather.
[Image: n0KFiJ1.jpg]

0 502
 08-10-2018, 08:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-09-2018, 02:51 PM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 05:24 AM)chazt Wrote: Joe the VP Leo 2 band looks so sweet. I've always been on the fence with these....

Thanks Charlie! It really is a good brush. The handle might be a bit too big for some, but thankfully there are 2 other sizes to choose from. I chose the 800050 as I liked the the 700050, but it was quite lofty. I wanted to try VP Leonhardy's 2-band, and the brush looked good. I knew it would offer more tip contact with the smaller loft, and I suspected the density would be more than adequate for my needs and have the flowthrough that I wanted. It proved itself to be what I was hoping for. I would say that the hair most closely resembles Shavemac's 2-band hairs with it being a cross between the 2-band Silvertip and D01. The tips have a feel closer to the D01 and with similar springiness in the hair shaft, but the thickness of the hair and density is closer to the 2-band Silvertip but not quite there. It's like the 2-band Silvertip is a high density knot, and the VP is the standard density.

Thanks for the detailed assessment, Joe. From your description it seems like a delightful feeling brush.

8 2,833
 08-10-2018, 08:32 AM
User Info
(08-10-2018, 08:15 AM)chazt Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 02:51 PM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 05:24 AM)chazt Wrote: Joe the VP Leo 2 band looks so sweet. I've always been on the fence with these....

Thanks Charlie! It really is a good brush. The handle might be a bit too big for some, but thankfully there are 2 other sizes to choose from. I chose the 800050 as I liked the the 700050, but it was quite lofty. I wanted to try VP Leonhardy's 2-band, and the brush looked good. I knew it would offer more tip contact with the smaller loft, and I suspected the density would be more than adequate for my needs and have the flowthrough that I wanted. It proved itself to be what I was hoping for. I would say that the hair most closely resembles Shavemac's 2-band hairs with it being a cross between the 2-band Silvertip and D01. The tips have a feel closer to the D01 and with similar springiness in the hair shaft, but the thickness of the hair and density is closer to the 2-band Silvertip but not quite there. It's like the 2-band Silvertip is a high density knot, and the VP is the standard density.

Thanks for the detailed assessment, Joe. From your description it seems like a delightful feeling brush.

No problem at all Charlie! I like to share what I can where I can.

30 850
 08-11-2018, 06:42 AM
User Info
I also use larger brushes and any new brushes I order will be fan shape in 26mm or 28mm.

The photo below is my Thater collection.  The first two(black and butterscotch) are 26mm and the third (white) is 28mm.

[Image: oT1lHZg.jpg]

The photo below is my Wiborg collection.  The first and second brushes are 28mm and the last two are 26mm.

[Image: GIwHTxZ.jpg]

The next photo is my Shavemac collection.  The second and fourth brushes are 28mm.  The second, fifth and sixth are 26mm.

[Image: ExiG3uC.jpg]

0 281
 08-11-2018, 07:19 AM
User Info
WOW great pics and commentary. I think my earlier post of the Chubby 2 is actually a small brush after seeing all these beautiful brushes. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

0 11
 08-11-2018, 10:08 AM
User Info
Very nice Tidepool!

Your brush is great too Seven ark!

30 850
 08-11-2018, 11:17 AM
User Info
Wow! Nice collection.

0 328
 08-12-2018, 05:23 PM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 07:24 AM)celestino Wrote: The majority of my brushes are 30+ mm. 
The size of a knot that you enjoy is completely subjective.
The principal advantage is that larger knots can cover more area on your face, head or legs, depending on what you shave, and if you have too many soaps, these larger knots can help you deplete your collection, quicker than smaller knots. 
The main disadvantage of larger knots can be the weight of the overall brush depending on the material you choose for the handle. 
I have a Shavemac Americana XL with a 36mm Unique Silvertip 2-Band knot and it is a substantially heavy brush which could cause a bit of fatigue for some folks while lathering, especially, face-lathering. 
Larger knots also require a longer drying time, and they do require more soap which might be a negative aspect, for some.

Glad you chimed in as you were who I was actually thinking of when making this post. I received my first 30mm knot in a Masesto brush and I have to say it’s not for me or at least this one. The handle seems way to heavy and the know is no comparison for my 26mm 2-band Thater. Maybe one day I’ll try a 30mm Shavemac or Thater in a higher loft, when the funds are right.

16 1,084
 08-13-2018, 08:10 AM
User Info
(08-12-2018, 05:23 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Glad you chimed in as you were who I was actually thinking of when making this post.  I received my first 30mm knot in a Masesto brush and I have to say it’s not for me or at least this one.  The handle seems way to heavy and the know is no comparison for my 26mm 2-band Thater.  Maybe one day I’ll try a 30mm Shavemac or Thater in a higher loft, when the funds are right.

That is unfortunate that you did not enjoy the Maseto brush. I have six of them and they are excellent brushes, especially, for the money. 
The quality of their knots don't quite compare to Thater's, Shavemac's, Simpsons', or Paladin, for example, but for what you pay, they are excellent. 
I have two extra-dense 2-Band knots that I recently acquired that I set into two of my custom-made handles and they are just wonderful. 

Best of luck in acquiring a larger brush, in the future.  Shy

89 21,194
 08-13-2018, 09:08 AM
User Info
(08-13-2018, 08:10 AM)celestino Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 05:23 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Glad you chimed in as you were who I was actually thinking of when making this post.  I received my first 30mm knot in a Masesto brush and I have to say it’s not for me or at least this one.  The handle seems way to heavy and the know is no comparison for my 26mm 2-band Thater.  Maybe one day I’ll try a 30mm Shavemac or Thater in a higher loft, when the funds are right.

That is unfortunate that you did not enjoy the Maseto brush. I have six of them and they are excellent brushes, especially, for the money. 
The quality of their knots don't quite compare to Thater's, Shavemac's, Simpsons', or Paladin, for example, but for what you pay, they are excellent. 
I have two extra-dense 2-Band knots that I recently acquired that I set into two of my custom-made handles and they are just wonderful. 

Best of luck in acquiring a larger brush, in the future.  Shy

I think the the know seemed fine, but for me it seemed more like the loft was to low. I’m going to try and acquire a 30mm from Bernard in a higher loft and see how it goes, although I know it will cost quite a penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 1,084
 08-13-2018, 09:18 AM
User Info
Just arrived today, a Brad Sears 28mm. with the Gonzo handle in Malachite. It's the largest brush I've ever had. To me, it's pretty BIG.
[Image: 57Tkc09.jpg]

0 502