08-07-2018, 09:03 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
As many of you know, Haslinger has changed the formula in their soaps. Where they used to contain tallow, they are all now of the 'vegetal' nature. I remember when the news came out, some people were outraged! Furthermore, when people tried the new formula they claimed that the soap was now vastly inferior to its former tallowed version. After the initial onslaught of negativity, I then started to see reviews that stated that not only is the vegetal soap just as good as the tallow, but it might even be better. This really got my attention, as I actually prefer vegetal soaps  to tallow ones (in general). I was so excited that I decided to order a sample of the new vegetal soap. As an experiment, I thought it would be fun to purchase a second sample of the discontinued tallow soap, so I could do a comparison between the two and find out what side of the debate I would fall on. I received the vegetal version of the Schafmilch and the tallow version of the Aloe Vera. I shaved with the vegetal soap one day and immediately followed with the tallow version the next. What follows is my review of this soap.

Disclosure for my reviews: I am a straight razor shaver, have very hard water, and face lather. 

Day 1:  This was the veggie Schlafmilch day. I got a good load on the brush and went to build a face lather. Oh man, what a beautiful lather it was. It developed easily and was able to take on a substantial amount of water. After a minute or two, I had a nice, thick, and shiny lather. Not only did the lather look good but it also felt good. I mean it felt really gentle and nice on my face. I was so excited to begin shaving. As the shave progressed, I noticed a few things:
1. The cushion was nice. It didn't blow me away, but it was very nice.
2. The post shave feel was most excellent. One of the best post shaves I've ever experienced.
3. The slickness......was.......terrible! I actually can't remember a soap that lacked in slickness to this degree. I had to really force my straight razor down my face. For a straight razor shaver this was obviously a huge problem. 

Having stated the above observations, I should note that my skin still felt great after the shave. The soap also did a good job of being very protective, which resulted in zero irritation after the shave. So, in other words, the end result of the shave was really good, but the actual act of the shave was a struggle because of the lack of slickness. 

Day 2: This was the tallow Aloe Vera day. Again, I got a good load on the brush and face lathered. Once again, the lather exploded and I kept adding water until it was a beautiful, thick, and shiny lather. The lather, once again, felt very good on the face. So far, the lather looked exactly the same and felt the same as the one from the day before. Would I once again be disappointed by the lack of slickness? Here were my observations:
1. Once again the cushion was nice. If anything, I would say it was slightly  better than the cushion from the vegetal version. 
2. The post shave feel was once again most excellent. Definitely on par with the vegetal soap.
3. The slickness.......was......amazing! I found this soap to have great glide, and not only glide but great residual slickness as well! Because of this, the shave was so comfortable and smooth that I forgot (momentarily) that I was actually slicing hairs off of my face!

So there you have it. Two different soap formulations, two totally different results. I do think that it is interesting that the only difference between the two days of shaving was the actual experience of the shave. After the shave was over, my face looked and felt about the same. 

I am wondering if they only removed the tallow from their soap, or if there were other ingredient changes as well. I do not believe that the mere presence or absence of tallow makes a slick soap. In fact, some of my slickest and favorite soaps (SV, Klar Seifan, MDC) are vegetal. I'm guessing that my water hardness certainly played a factor and maybe the different oils on my face played a factor as well. 

To me, this is a great example of why you see so much "YMMV" around here. I absolutely believe the guys who said that for them the vegetal version of this soap performed better than the tallow. I also believe the guys (myself being one of them) who have tried both and say that the tallow version is vastly superior to the vegetal. I love the fact that two different guys can use the exact same soap and have two totally different experiences with it. Its part of what makes this hobby fun and interesting. 

In summary, I am a huge believer in the "YMMV" factor of everything that is discussed on this forum. I would also encourage any newbies to realize that there is no substitute for actually trying a product for yourself. Two people can tell you honest experiences about something that can also be totally at odds with one another. In the end, you'll never really know for yourself until you try it.

2 108
 08-07-2018, 10:56 AM
User Info
As you say, YMMV.  There really is no place for dogma in this hobby.  We go with whatever works best for each of us.  I always thought the tallow Haslinger was a good soap, and have never tried the non-tallow version.  I generally get better results from tallow soaps.  I recently did a PIF of my LPL Apricot and Cedar Patchouli soaps. They're excellent soaps with great scents, but they just did not lather optimally for me in Miami's hard water.  The LPL Oud Santal, which is tallow based, works superbly for me.  However, I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting from these two non tallow soaps:

[Image: 0n08y6a.jpg]

53 8,298
 08-07-2018, 11:22 AM
User Info
Very interesting! I think good thread & well said! But there we go again YMMV!

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 161
 08-10-2018, 06:19 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
(08-07-2018, 10:56 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: As you say, YMMV.  There really is no place for dogma in this hobby.  We go with whatever works best for each of us.  I always thought the tallow Haslinger was a good soap, and have never tried the non-tallow version.  I generally get better results from tallow soaps.  I recently did a PIF of my LPL Apricot and Cedar Patchouli soaps. They're excellent soaps with great scents, but they just did not lather optimally for me in Miami's hard water.  The LPL Oud Santal, which is tallow based, works superbly for me.  However, I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting from these two non tallow soaps:

[Image: 0n08y6a.jpg]

I have a sample of LPL's Cedar Patchouli that I will dive into soon. I really like the scent so am really hoping that it performs well for me! I also have a sample of the Oud-Santal, but I think I'll try the Cedar first.

2 108
 08-10-2018, 08:41 PM
  • dmshaver
  • Default User Title
  • Kansas City
User Info
Interesting and well written review comparing the two Haslinger’s. Thank you!

0 64