08-08-2018, 12:42 PM
User Info
Gents,

I finally got around to using the Feather AS-D2 that I purchased from one of our fellow members, and what an incredibly sweet razor...extremely mild, and really really efficient! Truly the best of both worlds!

The Feather DE blades usually tear my neck up, but this razor paired with the feather blades, gave me an amazing shave with zero irritation! It was so nice, the thought, “I could shave with this all day with no problems!” ran through my head repeatedly!

Get the right angle, light pressure, and this instrument works extremely well.

To me this razor is well worth the price of admission, and I feel comfortable giving it two thumbs with my highest recommendation!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-08-2018, 01:37 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I agree Matt. It was the first machined razor I acquired. A great blend of efficiency and mild manners at a great price! Enjoy it.

68 5,620
 08-08-2018, 01:50 PM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 01:37 PM)eengler Wrote: I agree Matt. It was the first machined razor I acquired. A great blend of efficiency and mild manners at a great price! Enjoy it.

Thanks Ed! I am going to enjoy it...tomorrow I am going to try Adp shaving cream along with the razor! I am really looking forward to it!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-08-2018, 01:57 PM
User Info
Great razor, I started with the D-1.....as soon as the D-2 arrived I got one. Used it for a long time b'4 I tried others.
Worth every dime, congrats, you can use it for the next 100 years.

1 1,073
 08-08-2018, 01:59 PM
User Info
I really like being able to use the feather DE blade with it as well! I didn’t see too much info on our forum on it, so figured I would post

Thanks for the comments gents!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-08-2018, 04:41 PM
User Info
Great razor. The only DE I still use.

0 221
 08-08-2018, 11:09 PM
User Info
Im glad that you like yours.  Ive got one and its OK but its too mild for me and I like mild razors.  I really wanted to love it: made in Japan, super high quality, stainless but it just didnt work for me.  Oh well.

0 101
 08-09-2018, 03:09 AM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 11:09 PM)Badgerstate Wrote: Im glad that you like yours.  Ive got one and its OK but its too mild for me and I like mild razors.  I really wanted to love it: made in Japan, super high quality, stainless but it just didnt work for me.  Oh well.

This was my first impression too:  Too mild.

Then I tried it with a Feather blade, a blade I generally have found too harsh.  Somehow the combination of two pieces of equipment that didn't work for me separately (AS-D2 razor; Feather Hi-Stainless blade) worked marvelously together.

21 319
 08-09-2018, 05:09 AM
User Info
AS-D2 with a Kai blade I think, imho, is perfection. ymmv

64 1,936
 08-10-2018, 03:47 AM
User Info
It’s a gold standard

1 60
 08-10-2018, 06:19 PM
User Info
(08-08-2018, 01:37 PM)eengler Wrote: I agree Matt. It was the first machined razor I acquired. A great blend of efficiency and mild manners at a great price! Enjoy it.

I don't mean to be a stickler but the Feather is not machined It is MIM Metal Injection Molded and to the surprise of many it is also powder coated. None of that takes away from the quality of the razor I have the AS D2 & AS D1 and I love them both I just thought you may want to know

0 90
 08-11-2018, 08:16 AM
User Info
(08-10-2018, 06:19 PM)fl_guy Wrote:

I don't mean to be a stickler but the Feather is not machined It is MIM Metal Injection Molded and to the surprise of many it is also powder coated. None of that takes away from the quality of the razor I have the AS D2 & AS D1 and I love them both I just thought you may want to know

Interesting...though it makes no nevermind to me!

A beautiful and fantastic razor indeed! I actually am taking the week off from shaving, and then I am going to use my most hollow ground straight razor a week from tomorrow!

I like the Feather AS-D2 so much I lent it to my buddy for him to try since he gets razor bumps. I figured that it was so mild, that it might be even better for him.

However, if he likes it...he has to buy his own! I am not gifting him mine!

I hope that everyone has a nice weekend!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-11-2018, 01:52 PM
User Info

I always thought the asd2 was MIM manufactured

0 272
 08-11-2018, 03:23 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(08-11-2018, 08:16 AM)Ols67 Wrote:

A beautiful and fantastic razor indeed! I actually am taking the week off from shaving, and then I am going to use my most hollow ground straight razor a week from tomorrow!

I like the Feather AS-D2 so much I lent it to my buddy for him to try since he gets razor bumps. I figured that it was so mild, that it might be even better for him.

Vr

Matt

I used to get razor bumps. A mild or aggressive razor shouldn’t make a difference. I actually do better with razors that have more blade feel because I pay more attention to technique. The key to not getting razor bumps is to only shave with the grain.

3 727
 08-12-2018, 05:08 PM
User Info
(08-11-2018, 08:16 AM)Ols67 Wrote:

Vr

Matt
Hi Matt, if your friend wants to buy a Feather AS D2 please tell him to contact me through PM as I will be shortly selling mine as it is not a good fit for my skin and taste. Thanks,

0 26
 08-15-2018, 01:16 AM
User Info
I’ve owned this Feather AS in 3 versions.

I think I totally gave all 3 versions 50-60 shaves.

I read the advice back then about finding the right angle and used them with brand new Feather and KAI blades.

I shaved with them on 1 day stubble, 2 days stubble and 3-4 days stubble.

I tried to adjust for a correct angle but in 50+ shaves I never even reached close to a DFS, never even got to a point of where the razor removed more than 30-40% of my stubble.

Beautiful craftsmanship, but worthless razor for my beard stubble.

I have very stiff rigid stubble and this razor just never seemed to be able to deal with it.

As said I gave it 50+ shaves and had to finish the shave with another DE razor in all the shaves.

This is now 4-5 years ago.

Different strokes for different folks.
YMMV

25 6,886
 08-15-2018, 02:56 AM
User Info
Uggghhhh! Sorry to hear that Claus...definitely different stroke for different folks. Serious, easy, and irritation free BBS shaves for me!

Have a great week!

Vr

Matt

(08-15-2018, 01:16 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I’ve owned this Feather AS in 3 versions.

I think I totally gave all 3 versions 50-60 shaves.

I read the advice back then about finding the right angle and used them with brand new Feather and KAI blades.

I shaved with them on 1 day stubble, 2 days stubble and 3-4 days stubble.

I tried to adjust for a correct angle but in 50+ shaves I never even reached close to a DFS, never even got to a point of where the razor removed more than 30-40% of my stubble.

Beautiful craftsmanship, but worthless razor for my beard stubble.

I have very stiff rigid stubble and this razor just never seemed to be able to deal with it.

As said I gave it 50+ shaves and had to finish the shave with another DE razor in all the shaves.

This is now 4-5 years ago.

Different strokes for different folks.
YMMV

36 2,326
 08-15-2018, 08:59 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Had a few of these in various versions and loved them all albeit a bit mild

6 699
 08-15-2018, 09:26 AM
User Info
(08-15-2018, 08:59 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Had a few of these in various versions and loved them all albeit a bit mild

Hi Dan! I am glad that you enjoyed them. My friend that gets irritation and bumps pretty easily had a really close and nice comfortable shave last night. He likes it, but is also very frugal, so I am not sure if he will get one or not. I will ask him on Sunday after he gets a few more shaves what his overall impression is of the razor!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-15-2018, 11:07 AM
User Info
+1 on AS-D2 as mild. I sold my Pils as it was way too mild yet I kept the Feather AS-D2 razor and it manages to stay in rotation.

64 1,936