08-15-2018, 11:16 AM
User Info
I have an AS-D2 and a Pils (well, a Pils copy made by iKon) in the stable and neither one is leaving.

3 2,003
 08-15-2018, 11:35 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Can someone offer a comparison between an AS-D2 and a Gillette Tech? I’m very familiar with them, but have never tried the Feather.

Thanks.

15 3,687
 08-15-2018, 11:56 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-15-2018, 11:35 AM)chazt Wrote: Can someone offer a comparison between an AS-D2 and a Gillette Tech? I’m very familiar with them, but have never tried the Feather.

The AS-D2 is (very closely) based on the English version of the Gillette Tech.  No Gillette historian am I, but, from what I read somewhere, the English Techs had a cast baseplate while the North American Tech had a baseplate stamped from sheet steel; I am open to correction by anyone who knows more about the subject than I do.  (How Gillette was able to gain a supply of steel to make razors and blades while V1s were raining down on London remains an unanswered question for me.)  The manufacturing tolerances of the AS-D2 are tighter and finish of the AS-D2 (matte chrome plating on 316 stainless) is finer, but, functionally, a good copy of the English Tech should be about the same as an AS-D2.

1 1,379
 08-15-2018, 04:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-15-2018, 11:56 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 11:35 AM)chazt Wrote: Can someone offer a comparison between an AS-D2 and a Gillette Tech? I’m very familiar with them, but have never tried the Feather.

The AS-D2 is (very closely) based on the English version of the Gillette Tech.  No Gillette historian am I, but, from what I read somewhere, the English Techs had a cast baseplate while the North American Tech had a baseplate stamped from sheet steel; I am open to correction by anyone who knows more about the subject than I do.  (How Gillette was able to gain a supply of steel to make razors and blades while V1s were raining down on London remains an unanswered question for me.)  The manufacturing tolerances of the AS-D2 are tighter and finish of the AS-D2 (matte chrome plating on 316 stainless) is finer, but, functionally, a good copy of the English Tech should be about the same as an AS-D2.

Thanks, Tom. I have a mid sixties (so I’m told) English Tech sitting in the drawer. Tain’t been used in some time. Maybe I will blade up with it for tomorrow’s shave...

15 3,687
 08-16-2018, 06:15 AM
User Info

Thanks.

I think it shaves very similarly to the American post-war Tech.  
In fact, just for fun I shaved with the tech head on the feather handle.  It was pretty much indistinguishable from shaving with the as-d2.

3 2,003
 08-16-2018, 08:14 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-16-2018, 06:15 AM)kingfisher Wrote:

Thanks.

I think it shaves very similarly to the American post-war Tech.  
In fact, just for fun I shaved with the tech head on the feather handle.  It was pretty much indistinguishable from shaving with the as-d2.

Doc, thank you. Your input, and Tom’s above, lead me to believe that my bases in the mild realm are covered here. I’ve got five Techs of various pedigree. No need for me to recreate the experience. Again Wink

15 3,687
 09-08-2018, 03:10 PM
User Info
Gents,

Used the Polsilver blade in this razor...was really quite a nice shave...almost as sharp as the feather, but even smoother!

WoW!

Vr

Matt

PS GO PITT!

32 1,686
 09-08-2018, 08:26 PM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
(09-08-2018, 03:10 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Gents,

Used the Polsilver blade in this razor was really quite a nice shave...almost as sharp as the feather, but even smoother!

WoW!

Vr

Matt

PS GO PITT!

I'm with you, Matt.  The AS-D2 and a Polsilver is the sweet-spot for me also.
It also works great with a sharp vintage blade; love it loaded with a NOS Gillette Platinum Plus.

1 178
 09-09-2018, 08:14 AM
User Info
(09-08-2018, 08:26 PM)TomG Wrote:

Used the Polsilver blade in this razor was really quite a nice shave...almost as sharp as the feather, but even smoother!

WoW!

Vr

Matt

PS GO PITT!

It also works great with a sharp vintage blade; love it loaded with a NOS Gillette Platinum Plus.

I think I have some of those downstairs! I will give them a whirl! Thanks!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 09-09-2018, 08:48 AM
User Info
Has always been reliable and efficient. I have one I get to once a month I’d say. Solid razor.

Truthfully, I compare it’s shave with my Wolfman standard gap.

27 390
 09-22-2018, 11:06 AM
User Info
(09-08-2018, 08:26 PM)TomG Wrote:

WoW!

Vr

Matt

PS GO PITT!

I think I might give the AS-D2 a whirl tomorrow with the Timor blade. I gave one a shot yesterday in the 1941 Aristocrat and it was fantastic.

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM
User Info
I sold my original AS-D2 awhile back.  

BIG BIG MISTAKE.  I was recently able to buy another from one of our forum mates, and boy am I glad I did!

I will be keeping this one for the rest of my days...what a beautiful shave!  The angle is easy to find, and when you nail it the shave is tough to beat for my face!

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 04-06-2019, 01:55 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 11:47 AM)Ols67 Wrote: I sold my original AS-D2 awhile back.  

BIG BIG MISTAKE.  I was recently able to buy another from one of our forum mates, and boy am I glad I did!

I will be keeping this one for the rest of my days...what a beautiful shave!  The angle is easy to find, and when you nail it the shave is tough to beat for my face!

Vr

Matt

Better than the RS-10 ?

1 1,073
 04-06-2019, 02:50 PM
User Info
(04-06-2019, 01:55 PM)zipper Wrote:
(04-06-2019, 11:47 AM)Ols67 Wrote: I sold my original AS-D2 awhile back.  

Vr

Matt

Better than the RS-10 ?

Ron...I have been asking myself that same question...since now I have both, and I was blown away by how nice a shave I get from the Festher AS-D2. I would say that the RS-10, AS-D2, Charcoal Goods Level One, and Oneblade Genesis/Blackblade are my four/five favorite razors.

The craftsmanship of all are top notch, and to be honest after using each of them I think to myself, “Wow! This is my favorite one!”

All things considered...I think the RS-10 is my favorite safety razor overall...strictly considering the shave...I think AS-D2 is probably my favorite.

If I am in a hurry, or want an easy no brainer shave...Oneblade is my choice.

So yeah...AS-D2 shave beats out the RS-10 shave for me, on my face.

Vr

Matt

32 1,686
 04-10-2019, 08:25 AM
User Info
I love the AS-D2. I recently tried it with a vintage Gillette Spoiler and that was a combination made in Heaven.  It removes the very slight roughness I got using a Feather blade and leads to a smooth, efficient, nick-free shave without effort.  I never allow myself to have much facial hair and shave every day or every two days at most.  So I really need a razor that is good at cutting tough, short stubble while being mild enough not to tear up my face.  And the Feather works as well if not better than my favorite razor, the Fatboy.  The major advantage of the adjustables is the ability to shave at 3 or 4 before dropping down to 2 or 1 when going over a rough patch.  But the AS-D2 lets me shave with an efficient first pass and then as many touchups as I need.

Just be sure to find the optimal angle for it.

7 90
 04-15-2019, 05:57 PM
User Info
is the A2-D2 similar to the feather popular, as much as a $12 razor can compare to a $100 + razor ?
Are the designs similar? Shave feel?
i have have a popular and am quite impressed , with its plastic goodness.

0 15
 04-15-2019, 06:23 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(04-15-2019, 05:57 PM)biglou13 Wrote: is the  A2-D2 similar to the feather popular, as much as a $12 razor can compare to a $100 + razor ?
Are the designs similar?   Shave feel?

They also now make the Feather adjustable..has 2 levels and a much better handle...really quite nice and can be seen on amazon...around $38.00....To answer the main question the more expensive razor is really nice but does not shave any better...BUT it LOOKS and FEELs better.(the A2-D2)

6 2,148
 04-15-2019, 09:26 PM
User Info
(04-15-2019, 06:23 PM)Harvey Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 05:57 PM)biglou13 Wrote: is the  A2-D2 similar to the feather popular, as much as a $12 razor can compare to a $100 + razor ?

They also now make the Feather adjustable..has 2 levels and a much better handle...really quite nice and can be seen on amazon...around $38.00....To answer the main question the more expensive razor is really nice but does not shave any better...BUT it LOOKS and FEELs better.(the A2-D2)

Thanks for getting back to me on this.
I really like the feather. Especially paired with feather blade or other Uber sharp blade.
Which lead to thinking about the A2-D2
I have yet to buy a “premium” DE , now this in the running
Curious it only has 2 settings?
Also wonder if this is foreshadow of a premium feather adjustable?

I used to live in northridge, I miss my California life!

0 15
 04-16-2019, 03:36 AM
User Info
I personally think the Popular is "CRAP"..... Sisi 
The AS-D2 is very,very,very good, #2 to the RAW RS-10.... Thumbsup 
As always, one is an apple, one an orange, totally different razors... Cheers

1 1,073
 04-16-2019, 09:02 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info

(04-15-2019, 09:26 PM)biglou13 Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 06:23 PM)Harvey Wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me on this.
I really like the feather. Especially paired with feather blade or other Uber sharp blade.
Which lead to thinking about the A2-D2
I have yet to buy a “premium”  DE , now this in the running
Curious it only has 2 settings?
Also wonder if this is foreshadow of a premium feather adjustable?

I used to live in northridge, I miss my  California life!

To me the Popular and the AS-D2 are quite different - the Popular seems to be a copy of the 40s super speeds.
The AS-D2 seems to be a better copy of the tech than the old feather portables were, though the portables have their fans too. 

I have a Popular, and it shaves well - plastic or not.  Feather blades work well in it - this is not the case for many of my vintage razors.  Plus the popular comes with a plastic case and blades like vintage razors did when new.  I think it's a neat little inexpensive razor - for the price, I don't think anything else being made today gives you what you get with that razor.

For mistake free shaving, the AS-D2 would be my recommendation to someone new to wet shaving - it has features that make it hard to make a mistake and cut yourself (like it's weight, and no blade overhang).  However, it's price point is a bit high - if you are getting good shaves from the Popular, I might go in another direction for the 'premium' hardware.  There are tons of options out there now. 

I tend to be hot and cold on my AS-D2 - some days it's great, others it's not as close as I would like. 

Depending on what you want to spend - and what you consider premium - maybe a Rockwell 6c/s, or maybe something with the well regarded EJ89 head (EJ Barley) or an inexpensive EJ89 clone like the WSP razor.  Or maybe open combs are your next adventure.  Several places sell re-plated Vintage gillette news and old types - many folks swear by these - they go for around 80 bucks.  Keep in mind that any variable you change may require you to change something else - like step down from the Feather blades.  

All these devices hold a blade.  If you are getting good shaves now with the Popular, roll with them.

15 174