11-06-2018, 09:53 AM
User Info
Any direct comparisons with a Timeless .68 in stainless?  I am really curious about the RS10, and if it's wroth them money, then I may go for it.  I have just gotten the Timeless with the closed, scalloped bar, and smooth top plate all in satin finish.  It gave me a near-BBS shave in 3 passes, with no irritation, weepers or discomfort, and did so first try (Phoenix chocolate bourbon soap, Razorock synthetic brush, and a brand new Polsilver blade).  

I've also just gotten an Ambassador Rex, and while it is a good shaver, it's taken me 3 or 4 shaves to get the hang of it, and the Timeless just worked, right out of the box.  (My technique not the relative quality of the tools is the likely culprit).

All that said, do you think the RS10 would bring something worthwhile to the party, vs. the above-mentioned beauties?

0 29
 11-06-2018, 09:59 AM
User Info
I have the Timeless bronze and the Rex.....The RS -10 is better to me...…. Cheers

0 795
 11-06-2018, 10:03 AM
User Info
I have a Timeless SS DC .95 and the Rex and a Wolfman SS DC .74 along with every single other high end razor available or not available and the RS-10 with a Feather blade using the A plate is the best razor I think I have ever owned. By the way, the Rex is an outstanding razor. I use a Feather blade in it on the 4 setting and love it but the RS-10 is on a level that no other razor touches so far. Absolutely worth the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,196
 11-06-2018, 11:02 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I do have the Timeless .68 scalloped. I also have the RAW RS-10. Both, with Feather blades, are superb shavers. The RS-10, however, has the silk over the Timeless.

177 3,652
 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM
User Info
An Astra blade is very smooth in the RS10 but no smoother than the Feather for me, and you sacrifice some efficiency with the Astra

17 301
 11-07-2018, 05:22 PM
User Info
2 more shaves in with the mild plate. Yesterday was a full 3 pass BBS and tonight I had just a little stubble so did a quick 2 pass WTG, XTG BBS. Very smooth with a feather blade. These baseplates are different than my first one as both plates are now marked.

17 301
 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
User Info
I purchased an RS10 with the mild plate along with a Timeless .68SS with the scalloped baseplate.  I tried the .68 first, and had several awesome bbs shaves from it, and was able to use a Feather in it, without blood or irritation, and without having to be hyper-vigilant about my technique.

Read this thread multiple times, and decided the weekend was a great time to devote fuller attention to my first shave with the RS10 (I was also still considering returning it unused as I was really enjoying the Timeless, and it is not returnable if used at all).  Decided to go for it yesterday, and used a Feather. Got a decent but not amazing shave- it was comfortable, but more DFS than BBS.  It made a Feather almost as smooth as no blade at all.  

This morning I tried again, using Wholly Kaw Bare Naked with a Semogue hybrid brush (yesterday was Dolomiti with a Razorock synthetic brush).  Same Feather blade as yesterday (shave #2 for this specific blade).  Did 3 passes and some touch-ups, and barely DFS.  It may be my technique, but it may also be not efficient enough.

Should I buy the more aggressive plate, or just sell it, and enjoy the Timeless? (I also have a Rockwell 6S which I love).

0 29
 Yesterday, 10:33 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(Yesterday, 07:53 AM)fzman1956 Wrote: I purchased an RS10 with the mild plate along with a Timeless .68SS with the scalloped baseplate.  I tried the .68 first, and had several awesome bbs shaves from it, and was able to use a Feather in it, without blood or irritation, and without having to be hyper-vigilant about my technique.

Read this thread multiple times, and decided the weekend was a great time to devote fuller attention to my first shave with the RS10 (I was also still considering returning it unused as I was really enjoying the Timeless, and it is not returnable if used at all).  Decided to go for it yesterday, and used a Feather. Got a decent but not amazing shave- it was comfortable, but more DFS than BBS.  It made a Feather almost as smooth as no blade at all.  

This morning I tried again, using Wholly Kaw Bare Naked with a Semogue hybrid brush (yesterday was Dolomiti with a Razorock synthetic brush).  Same Feather blade as yesterday (shave #2 for this specific blade).  Did 3 passes and some touch-ups, and barely DFS.  It may be my technique, but it may also be not efficient enough.

Should I buy the more aggressive plate, or just sell it, and enjoy the Timeless? (I also have a Rockwell 6S which I love).

I suggest spending a wee bit more time with the razor. I have both plates for the RS-10 and thus far have used the milder plate only. My shaves are exquisite — and I have tree trunks for a beard. I'll probably open up the A plate in the coming weeks and give it a try. For now, the milder plates does wonders for me.

As for the Timeless, I have yet to find a razor that matches it in efficiency and smoothness. That includes Wolfman, BBS-1 and a few other big names — my opinion, of course, gentlemen. The RAW RS-10 is an exception. Both razors, RAW RS-10 and Timeless 0.68 scalloped, in my opinion, are equal in overall shave quality. I would give the smoothness edge to the RS-10, although after numerous shaves on both razors within close proximity, that is perhaps only my perception. The only drawback on the Timeless is the exposed blade tabs. This is personal. I prefer the shave head to cover the entire blade. The RAW RS-10 does.

177 3,652
 Yesterday, 11:18 AM
User Info
Thanks Obie, my neighbor to the North!
I'm not ready to give up on the RS10 yet-it is quite beautiful.  I decided to start with the Feather blade, given what people on this thread have said about the combination, and because I had been able to use a Feather in the Timeless (a first for me!). Up to this point I have favored the Polsilver SI's as my weapon of choice,  I'm gonna throw one in the RS10 and try that tomorrow or the day after.

I'm still a recent convert to wet shaving, coming from Braun and Panny electrics, which I also used on my head.  I now head-shave with an omnishaver, which gives me a smooth-as-glass shave on my dome, and want the same on my face.  I have a moustache and beard on my chin, so i really just shave the cheeks and my neck.  I get great shaves on my cheeks, but the neck and jawline are the problem areas.   I've tried numerous razors, and decided that the 34C and the AS-D2 were too mild and inefficient, the Blackland Dart was too aggressive for my mediocre technique, and I could get a good to great shave from an Ikon Shavemaster 101 or X3, with some caution and due diligence.  While trying these others out, I kept coming back to my Rockwell 6S, which I am now able to use well on plate #5-it is smooth, forgiving, and efficient enough to get great bbs shaves with 3 passes......

The .68SS out-performs it in every way-and has the benefit of interchangable parts..... The RS10 has to beat the .68SS or I'll probably sell it for a small loss, along with   a Rex Ambassador I tried which is also nice, but is not a good fit for me and my technique up to this point...  My curiosity and my impatience make for strange bedfellows, as the saying goes, and I've spent some $$ and see no reason to keep stuff that does not make me happy enough to justify its price, especially when I already have two awesome razors that make me really happy (6s and .68SS).

0 29
 Yesterday, 11:29 AM
User Info
@fzman1956 I have found the Timeless to have a larger shave angle that gives a great shave. The RS10 like a lot of razors including the Rex have a narrower window to get that great shave. May I suggest with your next shave you try changing the angle ever so slightly with each pass and see what gives you the best shave. I mainly shave daily for work and have found I can usually get a BBS shave in 2 passes with minimal touch up if it’s aggressive like the Dart , Wolfman 94 or Timeless 95. I get BBS with the RS10 with a 3 pass shave without irritation using the mild plate and 2 pass with a few touch ups using the aggressive plate.

17 301
 Yesterday, 11:33 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
fezman,
Hang in there with the RAW RS-10; it will reward you. It has me, as has the Timeless .68 scalloped. Two glorious razors in one shave den. What a shaving reward.

177 3,652
 Yesterday, 05:39 PM
User Info
[Image: RqC56eM.jpg]Pulled out the aggressive plate for 36 hour beard and had a wonderful 3 pass shave. You can feel the blade but even with a 3rd use Feather it was smooth and BBS results. I’m keeping the RS10 this time. Thank you Avi for letting me have a second chance at this wonderful razor

17 301
 Yesterday, 08:20 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 11:29 AM)Shavemd Wrote: @fzman1956 I have found the Timeless to have a larger shave angle that gives a great shave. The RS10 like a lot of razors including the Rex have a narrower window to get that great shave. May I suggest with your next shave you try changing the angle ever so slightly with each pass and see what gives you the best shave.  I mainly shave daily for work and have found I can usually get a BBS shave in 2 passes with minimal touch up if it’s aggressive like the Dart , Wolfman 94 or Timeless 95. I get BBS with the RS10 with a 3 pass shave without irritation using the mild plate and 2 pass with a few touch ups using the aggressive plate.

Thanks for the suggestion.  That may be a big part of why I've dramatically preferred some razors to others.  I did a quick 'test' shave this evening with a Polsilver in the RS10 to try out the angles.   Seemed to shave better riding the cap vs riding the bar....   It's such a smooth shaver, that there's little to no blade feel for me, and no audible feedback either....  not compared to other razors I've tried.

Also, I find that my shaves are moother than they initially seem, after the Thayers has had a chance to work its magic?!  It's still a bit of a mystery to me how that works.  Hair retracts once the pores close??

0 29