09-07-2012, 07:11 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Tradere Solid Bar

I received the Tradere SB yesterday and shaved with it this morning.

It's a beautiful razor and very well finished. The head presents as refined and is certainly less bulky than both the Pils and iKon making it a much more manoeuvrable razor especially in the tricky areas under the nose.

I'm not a huge fan of the handle, but the reduction in length is an improvement in both comfort and balance. I'd most likely choose to team it with a bulldog style handle, but that is simply a case of my preference.

I loaded a Gillette Silver Blue blade and was rewarded with a smooth and irritation free shave. It is less aggressive than the OC version, but it is still an effective razor. The equivalents from Pils and iKon (both or which I own) are very mild in comparison.

There is significant blade exposure and I am of the opinion that you could easily nick yourself if you weren't paying attention. However (and in contrast to the first generation OC) I found this a much more intuitive and forgiving razor when experimenting with angle.

My preference is OC, but I just couldn't reach an accord with the first generation Tradere OC. This SB is easy enough to use, but I'm intrigued regarding the second generation OC and just not sure that the SB is a keeper FOR ME (the only SB that I regularly use is my Cobra).

That said, those wanting a high quality, effective and manoeuvrable DE SB are no doubt going to absolutely love this razor! Well done to Richard and the team on another fine instrument!

91 17,828
 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM
User Info
Ben, thanks for the review.

75 20,883
 09-08-2012, 04:44 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Ben for your evaluation of the Tradere SB. Richard has done an excellent job making and tweaking these razors.

100 12,439
 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Ben, thanks for the nice review. It is a beautiful razor, and if I were to ever start using DE razors again, I would give one of these a try.

I'm older and set in my ways, and I love my old Schick Razors.

173 23,505
 09-08-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your review Ben. That razor is absolutely stunning in it's appearance and craftsmanship.

5 833