08-13-2018, 12:31 PM
User Info
Greetings gent’s I’ve been looking for some information about Rooney shaving brushes for a few days already, it’s a lot of info about this topic but I haven’t found what I’m looking for.
I’m still new at wet shaving therefore still learning and for me is very confusing the way Rooney shaving brushes are classified,
Can somebody explain to me what the 3/1- 3/2 -3/3- 1/2 number means excuse my ignorance about this but I will really appreciate it if somebody can teach me about Rooney.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 236
 08-13-2018, 02:35 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Oh wow... where to start!!! ???

First welcome to the forum! Then I suggest to do a forum search for Rooney brushes. Many threads should pop up.

The nomenclature of 1/1 etc refers to Style/Size. There were three styles and three sizes explaining the combinations. However, there are also many other style Rooney brushes, e.g. Beehive, Emillion, Alibaba, the XL series, the Stubby series.

There is a rich history of Rooney brushes notably 2005 to 2010 when Lee Sabini was deeply involved who then revitalized the M&F label. Again, do a search if interested.

43 2,071
 08-14-2018, 04:00 AM
  • jar
User Info
There were also lots of truly great shaving brushes from when it was a family operation.

[Image: large.jpg]

Some larger brushes; from the left, a Simpson Chubby 3 from Truefitt & Hill, a Kent H 12, an old almost certainly Rooney Persian Jar and an old Simpson #58:
[Image: large.jpg]

0 257
 08-14-2018, 06:20 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(08-13-2018, 02:35 PM)German Wrote: Oh wow... where to start!!! ???

First welcome to the forum! Then I suggest to do a forum search for Rooney brushes. Many threads should pop up.

The nomenclature of 1/1 etc refers to Style/Size. There were three styles and three sizes explaining the combinations. However, there are also many other style Rooney brushes, e.g. Beehive, Emillion, Alibaba, the XL series, the Stubby series.

There is a rich history of Rooney brushes notably 2005 to 2010 when Lee Sabini was deeply involved who then revitalized the M&F label. Again, do a search if interested.

+1

First off, as German said:  Welcome to the Forum!  To amplify on his comments, the "numerators" in the "fractions" you mentioned connote the relative socket (or knot) size of a given brush handle pattern where "1" is the smallest, "2" the medium size, and "3" the largest.  We should understand that these sizes aren't absolute because a size 1 brush could measure anywhere from 18mm to 22mm or even larger depending upon the handle pattern.  (The same holds true for sizes 2 and 3.)  Back in the day, men typically bought their brushes in what we now call brick and mortar stores where they could physically compare one brush vs. another to select the one they liked best; so physical size was less significant that it is in today's era of Internet shopping.

Today, of course, these numbers have largely become curiosities because actual knot, handle and loft dimensions, expressed in millimeters, are more meaningful when selecting a brush.  

Along those lines, it's interesting to note that Lee has continued this practice with his contemporary Morris & Forndran brushes, as we see in the following photos:

A 26mm L7 labeled "size 1" 

[Image: tic4rxy.jpg]

A 28mm 2XL labelled "size 2"
[Image: KniSlRQ.jpg]

The bottom line is that many of the old Rooneys were (and are) wonderful brushes that have largely become, somewhat sadly, collector's items.  When and if you can locate one in good condition, they can be great additions to your collection.

4 851