09-07-2012, 07:45 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Last week I did a BIN on Ebay for for a new razor brush/set for 7.99 and free shipping.The seller posted a bit of information as to his personal experiences with this set.The razor is an aluminum copy of a Gillette Superspeed and the brush is a nylon bristle.The seller points this out even though the pic of it is very shiny suggesting chrome or stainless.

The items arrived very quickly from Houston,Texas with overly good packing.The brush was in factory blister pack and the razor was well wrapped in plastic.I did a bit of a soak in Listerine and a wash in dish soap to make sure both were sterile.The razor, a twist to open design is of nice machining.It lived up to its picture.The top doors are almost chrome/stainless in appearance and most of the razor has the same nice finish,upon close exam there are some minor imperfections here and there(ex:one of the checks on the grip is not perfectly square).The razor is amazingly light,if my old analog scale is accurate--20 grams.I have used disposables that weighed more.It is far nicer than I expected.No nationality markings.

The brush is white nylon bristle set into a black banded and clear plastic handle.The dimensions are 4.25 inches tall,the bristles are 2.25 of that.The base of the bristles is 1 inch, the bloom is about 2.25 inches across.The packaging and bruch are labelled Classic,the pricing on the back is in rupees,so I am assuming Indian origin.

I loaded the razor with a 1 use ASR and loaded the brush with Classic Shaving Soap and a bit of Derby cream in the bowl.I whipped up a foamy lather that was stable,if a bit thin.I did 3 passes wtg,atg and buff.The lather was stable,a bit airy though.I think with a bit of practice I could get it better.I started off with the normal circular application to the face,but that was not working well.I remembered the seller said using paintbrush type strokes worked well.I altered my strokes to this style and it worked well.

I got a DFS with little irritation,the razor is mild.Maybe a bit more aggressive than a Gillette Superspeed.The light weight took a bit of getting used to.

My 2 cents--a nice set to get .Not sure of the longevity of the razor,it won't replace my Star DE as favorite.But it is well worth getting for travel use or for those days when you just want to be different.I like it and my wife is eying it.The seller(timg29278) has more listed and a few restored badger brushes.Give him a look.

0 274
 09-07-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
Thanks for the information. You could try shimming the razor if you find it a tad mild. Good luck with it.

75 20,883
 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
update:
I did a shave last evening with this razor and the same blade.I used the Classic brush that came with the set.I loaded it up well with VDH Deluxe soap and a bit of Derby menthol cream,after a warm water sink of the brush,bowl and razor.I had two days of stubble to contend with.The brush and superlather combo worked well ,I did 3 passes and lather enough for 2 more left.Biggrin.I think more product is needed with this brush.
The 3 passes were done with a light touch,almost like that used with an SE.I ended up with a DFS,followed up with Barbasol Musk and just had a tingle from the a/s.

p.s.
I think i'll load a fresh blade for the next shave.

0 274
 09-11-2012, 07:05 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You can't go wrong for that price especially since the razor didn't do any damage.

100 12,436
 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
User Info
Those appear to be vincent's. That was the first DE razor I used. Worked great for the first couple months until RAD kicked in.

0 11
 09-14-2012, 08:57 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Thanks for the info Alatron and welcome aboard.

0 274