08-15-2018, 05:19 AM
User Info
Gents,

I purchased a Gillette Superspeed TTO from one of our forum members for 35 dollars including shipping. It is fully 100% functional, but has a scratch here and there.

When the razor arrived it was less than impressive...inexpensive, small, 53+ years old, and nothing flashy...certainly nothing that implied high end or luxurious! I would not describe it as very handsome, or desirable.

This was my first step into the world of vintage Gillette TTO razors. I simply smiled half-heatedly, and placed the razor on the shelf thinking that I would just stick with my Oneblade Genesis V2, Feather AS-D2, Asylum Rx with the mirror finish, and my straights!

So six weeks later out of sheer boredom and a bit of curiosity, I used the Superspeed with a feather blade.

Imagine my surprise...I gave myself the best shave that I have ever had without anything even approaching a weeper or spot of irritation.

This little unimpressive piece of Americana held its own with the big dogs of my little collection, and dare I say surpassed them all in terms of close shave, comfort, and fun!

Isn’t that what this silly little hobby is all about...turning the mundane and obnoxious task of shaving into something that is luxurious, relaxing, fun, and all our own? I also enjoy making new friends, and the camaraderie!

I decided to take the week off from shaving so that I can enjoy mowing down a week’s worth of beard with my most hollow ground straight razor Sunday night. Since I have not been shaving this week, my curiousity has gotten the best of me, and I have purchased a Gillette British Aristocrat #15 with open comb, another Superspeed TTO, two Gillette Aristocrats (a 47 and an unknown), and a Gillette Executive Fat Boy (the one with gold plate).

So...I am really looking forward to fooling around with all of these pieces of British and American shave history...figuring out what I like...and figuring out what I am going to sell in the TSN For Sale Forum. Then I will know what needs to be revamped, replated, and kept!

The moral of the story, which I thought I had learned years ago...is don’t judge a book by its cover! The second is don’t take a week off of shaving, and allow yourself to search eBay!

Have a great day!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-15-2018, 06:30 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Well said, Matt. Enjoy your new ( Wink) razors.

19 4,443
 08-15-2018, 07:46 AM
User Info
Thanks Charlie! Congrats again on your wedding anniversary! 30 years is awesome!

Vr

Matt

(08-15-2018, 06:30 AM)chazt Wrote: Well said, Matt. Enjoy your new ( Wink) razors.

36 2,326
 08-15-2018, 10:49 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
You’re welcome, and thank You.

19 4,443
 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM
  • dmshaver
  • Default User Title
  • Kansas City
User Info
Great to read & congratulations on discovering a great new/old razor! I recently discovered vintage & wonder why I started with modern razors. This is a wonderful past time!

0 74
 08-15-2018, 07:34 PM
User Info
My 1940's style Super Speeds have a permanent place in my rotation, along with the modern stainless razors.  I find them to be excellent shavers, and I like the mechanical aspect of them.

60 10,494
 08-15-2018, 07:56 PM
User Info
Welcome to vintage shaving!!!  Thumbsup It's not possible to get a better shave than that which comes from a good ol' vintage Gillette. All anyone needs is a Super Speed (Flare tip or '40's) or a pre-war Tech, to get a flawless, carefree shave every time.

Now, get a Zenith boar brush and some Proraso red and you're done.  Winky

0 268
 08-16-2018, 03:09 AM
User Info
You are the second person to recommend a zenith boar to me! Perhaps that might be on the horizon!

Vr

Matt

(08-15-2018, 07:56 PM)TobyC Wrote: Welcome to vintage shaving!!!  Thumbsup It's not possible to get a better shave than that which comes from a good ol' vintage Gillette. All anyone needs is a Super Speed (Flare tip or '40's) or a pre-war Tech, to get a flawless, carefree shave every time.

36 2,326
 08-16-2018, 09:25 AM
User Info
(08-16-2018, 03:09 AM)Ols67 Wrote: You are the second person to recommend a zenith boar to me!  Perhaps that might be on the horizon!

Vr

Matt

(08-15-2018, 07:56 PM)TobyC Wrote: Welcome to vintage shaving!!!  Thumbsup It's not possible to get a better shave than that which comes from a good ol' vintage Gillette. All anyone needs is a Super Speed (Flare tip or '40's) or a pre-war Tech, to get a flawless, carefree shave every time.

Everyone should have at least one, or ten!  Sisi  Great brushes.  Thumbsup

0 268
 08-16-2018, 11:18 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Super speeds can be found at quite a few antique shops and after some cleaning they are awesome shavers.  I really think back in the day most people were just after a great shave with no frills attached. Over time the razors developed more aggressiveness to them as people wanted more and more disposable cash became available after the big crashes.

0 603
 08-19-2018, 03:58 AM
User Info
Gents,

I stopped shaving for a week so that I could sleep in a little bit, and focus on the family more. I also had the machination that I would use my most hollow ground straight razor for my first shave back, because I love slicing through the whiskers and hearing the serious scrape sound.

However, I saw the diminutive Super Speed sitting on the sink with a feather blade in it that had been used one time.

This razor punches well well above it’s weight! It easily sliced through a week’s worth of growth with no pulling, had zero clogging issues, and again provided an irritation free three pass BBS shave.

I admit that some of the procedural joy and sexiness is lost when using a Super Speed over a cutthroat, but I also can’t help but marvel at the mildness and efficiency of this utilitarian tool!

This admiration, combined with the fact that one can buy these in great condition from between 10-40 dollars on eBay, and the TTO Super Speed has to receive top marks!

I hope that everyone has a nice Sunday!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 08-19-2018, 05:27 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Gillettes were a symbol of true American workmanship. Exceptional quality. They were build to last. Built like tanks. They went to three wars: WWI, WWII and Korea.

They were built to give efficient shaves, with some more aggressive than others. Overall though, I find them floating in the relatively mild range, some reaching the top wrung. Nothing fancy, these Gillettes; rather, just good shavers without irritation.

My only complaint about the Gillettes is the exposed blade tabs. About any double edge razor, actually, vintage or modern. I do not like exposed blade tabs. That is a personal feel, however, and does not detract from my opinion on any DE razor.

Some Gillettes are a joy to use. The Aristocrat, of course. I have the 1946-47 version. Shaving with this razor is like holding a precious jewel in my hands — as with the straight razor, I switch hands with the safety razor, too. The Feather blade is a good pairing.

Through the years, I have shaved with a wide range of the Gillette models. The Aristocrat tops them all. The Superspeed "red tip" is not far behind. The Superspeed "flare tip" is a lovely shaver — my wife and daughter have one each for shaving legs. I find the Fatboy and the Slim Adjustable a wee bit clunky and don't care for them. Then again, I don't particularly care for adjustable razors, period.

And so it goes with the great Gillettes. Every shave den should have one, or two or . . .

204 4,585