08-18-2018, 10:58 AM
User Info
Toying with the idea of getting a Plisson synthetic. I've always liked their looks but stayed away because they seemed to use really high lofts with badgers and still do with synthetics. I prefer shorter lofts for face lathering. But after I tried a L'Occitane/Plisson brush, I think they are fairly usable.

The questions are around the handle types here: https://blaireauxplisson.com/en/39-shavingbrushes-fiber
Not sure I understand the differences between resin, acetate, the gold label handles or the Plisson Access labels.

The gold label seems to be more expensive than the Access line, so the handles must be better?
Also, not sure why the faux tortoise is even more expensive, which happens to be the one I like Sad

To confuse things even more, there's also the "La Maison du Barbier" line, though the ones I can find use the original Plisson synthetic knot.
https://rasagetradition.fr/en/shaving-brush

Any Plisson experts/owners that could talk a bit about the handles? Thanks!

5 135
 08-18-2018, 12:24 PM
User Info
I have a burl acetate handle. It is an injection molded handle, very light weight.
[Image: 7vzz7Aw.jpg][Image: 8Qyaz8r.jpg][Image: CXF2fvx.jpg][Image: 49RTJj6.jpg]

1 869
 08-18-2018, 01:19 PM
User Info
Just a quick note but the first link provided leads to all the new brushes and it looks like they are all size 12. I'm seeing 12 in the item number below the pics. So I am assuming the knot will be 22mm by 56mm loft. Hopefully the new fiber has more resistance so increased backbone. Most people found the original syn. knots to be lacking in density for how thin the individual hairs were. 

In regards to you asking about handles, what exactly are you wondering? I can't help explain much in regards to price differences to the handle material.

84 1,634
 08-18-2018, 01:42 PM
User Info
To add, if I remember correctly. Acetate is/was, used allot for eyewear frames. The finish/color may be applied to the inside of the handle. I read that somewhere.
I don't know this for sure.

1 869
 08-18-2018, 02:41 PM
User Info
(08-18-2018, 01:19 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: In regards to you asking about handles, what exactly are you wondering? I can't help explain much in regards to price differences to the handle material.

I just don't know what the differences are between the "gold label" and "Plisson Access" handles. Weight, quality of material, hand turned vs molded, looks, feel, etc. Is "Plisson Access" more of a value line or more of a modern line given the colors used? La Maison du Barbier clearly is an attempt at a more affordable brush.

[Image: blanc-evolution.jpg]
vs.

[Image: resin-slate-blue-shavingbrush-white-fiber-plisson.jpg]

5 135
 08-18-2018, 02:52 PM
User Info
As you can see in the pics. acetate is molded as in a balloon mold, hollow,light weight. That's the way acetate is.
It is  not a solid molded material.

1 869
 08-18-2018, 04:59 PM
User Info
Are the ones that say "resin", solid, heavier? Clearly the price doesn't reflect the type or weight of the handle, as the acetate tortoise is the most expensive of the acetates and resins. I'm currently playing with a L'Occitane/Plisson and it's very light, but I don't mind it, I just want to know what I'm looking at on the Plisson web site.

5 135
 08-31-2018, 12:24 PM
User Info
I ended up oredring the pearly gray and it arrived today. I quite like the handle, it feels solid, not heavy, but not light either. The color looks better in person in daylight than in pics. The knot has more backbone than the previous gen synthetic Plisson, but it doesn't look to be as dense. The fiber is thicker. I was thinking that maybe they are using the same Muhle STF v2 fiber, but it's not, I have the Muhle 23mm and the fibers are thinner. Knot looks and feels good, I hope it makes lather, though with synthetics that does not seem to be an issue, just point them in the general direction of the soap, the soap shakes in fear and lather explodes Smile I have yet to meet a synthetic that doesn't lather well.

[Image: 08b536a9c2ab2a331ec4f97685615686.png]

5 135
 09-02-2018, 12:12 AM
User Info
That handle is really an eye catcher! I think that's the first time I've seen that particular handle someone else has taken.  Heart

33 920
 09-02-2018, 06:41 AM
User Info
(09-02-2018, 12:12 AM)kooshman7 Wrote: That handle is really an eye catcher! I think that's the first time I've seen that particular handle someone else has taken.  Heart

Thank you. I figured a lot of black and ivory brushes out there, you don't see many this color, even in custom brushes. Too expensive for a synthetic brush so it might as well look a bit unique.

5 135
 09-03-2018, 01:47 AM
User Info
(09-02-2018, 06:41 AM)SirWhiskers Wrote:
(09-02-2018, 12:12 AM)kooshman7 Wrote: That handle is really an eye catcher! I think that's the first time I've seen that particular handle someone else has taken.  Heart

Thank you. I figured a lot of black and ivory brushes out there, you don't see many this color, even in custom brushes. Too expensive for a synthetic brush so it might as well look a bit unique.

It's a very good choice! I have some brushes with a bit of color, but I guess I'm mostly a traditional person.

33 920
 09-03-2018, 03:33 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have several Plisson synthetics (ferrari red, L'Occitane, Acetate Burgundy, White Evolution Ivory and  White Evolution Metal)

love them all, the white evolution fibers have more backbone.

34 1,568
 09-03-2018, 10:55 AM
User Info
(09-03-2018, 03:33 AM)Snuff Wrote: I have several Plisson synthetics (ferrari red, L'Occitane, Acetate Burgundy, White Evolution Ivory and  White Evolution Metal)

love them all, the white evolution fibers have more backbone.

Mind posting a pic of the Ferrari Red please? I was looking at it too. I'd like to see a pic closer to reality than the web renderings.

Also, does anyone know whether LMDB (rasagetradition.fr) delivers to the US? Sent them an email but they are not responding.

5 135
 09-04-2018, 12:21 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(09-03-2018, 10:55 AM)SirWhiskers Wrote: Mind posting a pic of the Ferrari Red please? I was looking at it too. I'd like to see a pic closer to reality than the web renderings.

Also, does anyone know whether LMDB (rasagetradition.fr) delivers to the US? Sent them an email but they are not responding.

They normally deliver outside of France but are very slow at responding. Mind you their Ferrari Red brush is not the same one as on the Plisson site. I had 2 of their brushes and sold them again almost immediately 

[Image: aYgZ2oo.jpg]

[Image: Rc6MMHk.jpg]

L to R Evolution Metal, Ferrari Red, Acetate Burgundy, White Evolution

[Image: sOHz73I.jpg]

34 1,568
 09-04-2018, 05:30 AM
User Info
Pretty!

5 135
 09-05-2018, 11:39 PM
User Info
How is the new Evolution Synthetic hair compared to the old hair ?

The new hair fibre looks more Mühle like in appearance.

I wish I wasn’t so stuck on my Thäter and Shavemac badgers, I rarely, if ever, use my 14-15 Synthetic brushes these days (in fact years )

25 6,438
 09-05-2018, 11:48 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I do have Mühle synthetic brushes and the evolution hair feels different. It is not as soft as the normal plisson with more backbone and great flow through

34 1,568
 09-06-2018, 09:20 AM
User Info
Yeah, it's not the same as Muhle STF v2. Plisson has a thicker fiber than Muhle and also thicker than the previous gen Plisson synth.

When it comes to density, Plisson should have used a bit more fiber. These knots cannot afford to lose a single fiber Smile The fiber however has good backbone (due to its thickness) and there's no glue bump. To me the fiber is more like a 2-band badger than a fine hair Silvertip.

I wonder where Plisson sources this new fiber from as I haven't seen it in other brushes.

5 135
 09-07-2018, 01:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(09-06-2018, 09:20 AM)SirWhiskers Wrote: Yeah, it's not the same as Muhle STF v2. Plisson has a thicker fiber than Muhle and also thicker than the previous gen Plisson synth.

When it comes to density, Plisson should have used a bit more fiber. These knots cannot afford to lose a single fiber Smile The fiber however has good backbone (due to its thickness) and there's no glue bump. To me the fiber is more like a 2-band badger than a fine hair Silvertip.

I wonder where Plisson sources this new fiber from as I haven't seen it in other brushes.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.I was wondering about these new synthetic brushes since I only use synthetic these days.The price seems a little bit too high but theyre soooo good looking , I must admit.

93 7,344
 09-07-2018, 02:09 PM
User Info
(09-07-2018, 01:30 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 09:20 AM)SirWhiskers Wrote: Yeah, it's not the same as Muhle STF v2. Plisson has a thicker fiber than Muhle and also thicker than the previous gen Plisson synth.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.I was wondering about these new synthetic brushes since I only use synthetic these days.They price seems to high but theyre soooo good looking , I must admit.

Yes I was crazy to spend that much on a synthetic, but I've been admiring Plisson brushes for many years. Even if it doesn't work well for the act of shaving, it makes for very pretty decoration Smile

5 135