08-22-2018, 03:10 PM
User Info
Just had a used Shavemac Ebonite delivered to my house today and wanted to share some pictures, and a funny related side story.

I've never had an Ebonite brush, and when I saw this one, it didn't take much thought to pick it up.

[Image: CQ9OY57.jpg]

L to R:

Shavemac Americana XXL Unique 2-band Silvertip
Shavemac Ebonite Unique 2-band D01
Shavemac Lotus Unique 2-band D01
Shavemac Pre-2005 2-band D01

The photo of the Ebonite is a few hours after I gave it a quick clean with my standard dish soap and 4 part water, 1 part vinegar with a dash of glycerin cleaning. The Ebonite is drop dead gorgeous! I understand why some people obsessively collect these. It has a unique feel to it that gives it a slight grip, and pressing hard enough you can feel it give. Mesmerizing to just sit and stare at the swirls in the material, overall just great stuff to have in a handle and to obsess over.

So now to the related side story. Remember I said I've never experienced Ebonite? Well that's true since Ebonite is a brand name for vulcanized rubber. As I was handling and admiring the handle material I couldn't help but think I've felt this material before. I knew what brush it was that reminded me of this, and went right to it.

[Image: jxqIkF3.jpg]

It is a Victoria boar brush I've had for a few years and haven't used yet. I noticed that 'Vulkanisiert' this time around, and figured it meant Vulcanized in German, and indeed it does. So while I had never experienced 'Ebonite' I've felt the material before as this is a vulcanized rubber handle. Laughing1 

While the Victoria is nice in its own right, the Shavemac is just a bit extra special and wouldn't change having picked up this Shavemac Ebonite beauty and glad to realize I have a sweet little boar to complement it!

33 1,004
 08-22-2018, 03:25 PM
User Info
Nice collection! Let's see a shot from above down onto the hairs!
Smile

14 660
 08-22-2018, 03:28 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Congrats.  Disappointed when I saw the "sold" on the brush.

17 967
 08-22-2018, 03:35 PM
User Info
(08-22-2018, 03:25 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Nice collection! Let's see a shot from above down onto the hairs!
Smile

[Image: F68vUoV.jpg]

Top left, right: Americana, Lotus
Bottom left, right: Ebonite, Pre '05

Little boar in the middle Wink

33 1,004
 08-22-2018, 03:42 PM
User Info
Those are 4 great  brushes.  Congratulations on the Ebonite.

60 10,493
 08-22-2018, 04:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Very nice brushes, Joe. The Lotus quickens my pulse.

19 4,440
 08-22-2018, 06:17 PM
User Info
(08-22-2018, 03:35 PM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 03:25 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Nice collection! Let's see a shot from above down onto the hairs!
Smile

[Image: F68vUoV.jpg]

Top left, right: Americana, Lotus
Bottom left, right: Ebonite, Pre '05

Little boar in the middle Wink
AWESOME! They all look great! Thanks!

14 660
 08-22-2018, 08:26 PM
User Info
Thank you all for the compliments. They are indeed wonderful brushes!

I've got some other large Shavemacs, but not to the size of these. Not too far behind though!

33 1,004
 08-22-2018, 08:38 PM
User Info
Very nice. Enjoy!

9 1,603
 08-22-2018, 09:16 PM
  • dmshaver
  • Default User Title
  • Kansas City
User Info
Very nice brushes, congrats! And it was fun reading your side story about recognizing the feel of the vulcanized handle.

0 74
 08-22-2018, 10:06 PM
User Info
Bernd made some great brushes and it looks like your's are excellent examples of his work. I'm sure you enjoy all of those brushes. But excellent photos (the group shot up top I like) and hopefully your enjoy more shaves soon with your Ebonite soon!  Badger

Wink

Cheers Kooshman7

87 1,797
 08-22-2018, 11:43 PM
User Info
Very nice brushes. I am curious about that Lotus. Who made that with a Shavemac knot? The only Lotus handle brushes I have seen are made by Paladin and they use their own knots.

5 143
 08-23-2018, 01:30 AM
User Info
(08-22-2018, 11:43 PM)koolkankat Wrote: Very nice brushes. I am curious about that Lotus. Who made that with a Shavemac knot? The only Lotus handle brushes I have seen are made by Paladin and they use their own knots.

It's Bernd's inspired take on the Lotus handle. I've toyed with getting a Paladin Lotus so I can be able to see the difference between the two myself, and really would like to support Ken for such the awesome design his son Cody came up with. There are limits to what can be done, though. Thankfully space constraints have been putting a more narrow focus on the brushes I get now. I loved that exact brush when I saw it, and didn't hesitate when it came up for sale. Still, I think with time the right one will present itself. I try to keep copies down of the same handle, but it's the Shavemac that's the copy here. A well done copy with it's own special attributes, but a copy nonetheless. 

Ken himself posted some pictures of an Ebonite Shavemac Lotus he traded for, and looking at the Shavemac Lotus inspired handle next to the Paladin Ebonite Lotus they look like dead ringers. I'm sure with more time observing his pictures more nuances will become apparent, or Ken or Cody's observations on the differences too always helps.

33 1,004
 08-23-2018, 10:13 AM
User Info
(08-23-2018, 01:30 AM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 11:43 PM)koolkankat Wrote: Very nice brushes. I am curious about that Lotus. Who made that with a Shavemac knot? The only Lotus handle brushes I have seen are made by Paladin and they use their own knots.

It's Bernd's inspired take on the Lotus handle. I've toyed with getting a Paladin Lotus so I can be able to see the difference between the two myself, and really would like to support Ken for such the awesome design his son Cody came up with. There are limits to what can be done, though. Thankfully space constraints have been putting a more narrow focus on the brushes I get now. I loved that exact brush when I saw it, and didn't hesitate when it came up for sale. Still, I think with time the right one will present itself. I try to keep copies down of the same handle, but it's the Shavemac that's the copy here. A well done copy with it's own special attributes, but a copy nonetheless. 

Ken himself posted some pictures of an Ebonite Shavemac Lotus he traded for, and looking at the Shavemac Lotus inspired handle next to the Paladin Ebonite Lotus they look like dead ringers. I'm sure with more time observing his pictures more nuances will become apparent, or Ken or Cody's observations on the differences too always helps.
Thanks for the reply. If you are a member of the Paladin Shaving Round Table on FB you can see pictures of Lotus and Buck Rogers Ebonite handles that Ken recently made. He hasn't said when or if completed brushes will be available to purchase.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

5 143
 09-16-2018, 06:55 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing great brushes BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 332