08-23-2018, 08:34 AM
User Info
Oil based pomades are made from either petroleum, OR some sort of grease, OR some form of wax.
     My question is what is the petroleum exactly? Is this like a mineral oil of some type or something similar or just derived straight from crude oil or refined oil or just what exactly? Also; what exactly are the different types of grease's and wax's are they typically made from when they use those instead?
Thank you

0 113
 02-15-2019, 10:32 AM
User Info
Actually most "oil base" pomades are composed of petro AND oil AND wax.

The vast majority use White Petrolatum (petroleum jelly/vaseline) as their main ingredient; for viscosity and shine. Then waxes; the most common being beeswax, followed by Microcrystalline wax (another petroleum product.) Finally the liquid oils; Castor oil is the most ubiquitous but any oil can be used. 

The recent boom in high-quality artisan produced pomades have led to much better ingredients being commonplace. For my brand (BrewCity Grooming) I do use Petrolatum and Microwax, because they offer properties hard to achieve with other options and because neither are bad for your hair in any way. But where the older, large brands would stop there, I use beeswax, a LARGE amount of Lanolin, Avocado oil, and (uniquely) Roasted Walnut Oil.

So as you can see, the sky is the limit for the combinations of ingredients to produce modern pomade

4 58