08-23-2018, 12:21 PM
User Info
Hi,
    I'm thinking about buying my first flat cap (flatcap). So I could use some help in deciding which one is best for me. I'd like to find one that is very timeless and comfortable. So not too narrow and streamlined and not too wide and baggy. But more a middle-of-the road and ordinary looking type. Also, I think a more medium-weight fabric is best for year-round use, so not a heavy fabric nor a light, thin fabric either. Also; if this helps any; I also like 1930's style clothes the best and think those years are the most timeless of all, (especially early and middle 1930's). 
Thanks for any help

0 111
 08-23-2018, 02:25 PM
User Info
If you go to the Outdoor Research website they have a flat hat called the “Pub Cap.” All of their kit is amazing, and I am sure that you would like that hat!

Vr

Matt

13 544
 08-23-2018, 03:00 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Welcome to the wonderful world of caps.  In January or February, after several beverages at my favorite taproom, on way home I stopped at my favorite Men's Store. Purchased my first flat cap.  Mid-weight plaid and by coincidence looks like the cap Clegg wore on Last of Summer Wine.  In April, same taproom and same Men's Store and ordered a light weight cotton light gray cap.  Debating oilskin for another cap.  FYI - the store does stock different summer and winter flat caps 

For brands
Dobbs: made in USA, reasonable price, wide variety of styles, well regarded
Hills Hats: made in New Zealand, nice price, wide variety of material, well regarded
Jacaru: made in Australia, well regarded and good price
several other made USA, UK, etc firms

Google places to buy hats in your area - nice to shop in person

9 690
 08-23-2018, 09:57 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
Goorin has a wide variety of flat caps in various styles and fabrics, well made and comfortable, they're my go to brand. Google Goorin or Goorin bros. Good luck and happy hunting.

84 488
 08-24-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
(08-23-2018, 02:25 PM)Ols67 Wrote: If you go to the Outdoor Research website they have a flat hat called the “Pub Cap.”  All of their kit is amazing, and I am sure that you would like that hat!

Vr

Matt

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added it to my wish list.   Smile

0 111
 08-25-2018, 01:08 PM
User Info
(08-24-2018, 04:31 PM)punchy Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 02:25 PM)Ols67 Wrote: If you go to the Outdoor Research website they have a flat hat called the “Pub Cap.”  All of their kit is amazing, and I am sure that you would like that hat!

Vr

Matt

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added it to my wish list.   Smile

If you are in the military or have a family member in the military they have an incredible prodeal...50% off prices listed on website!  Just a really outstanding company!

Enjoy!

Vr

Matt

13 544