08-26-2018, 05:29 AM
User Info
As in Saponifico Varesino. Used today for the first time. Scent wise, not as strong as other SV soaps.
BUT......Do you really buy/use a soap based on smell ? I buy a soap for it's protective attributes, cushion,glide,
conditioning. In this respect it's 5 stars all around. Like all SV soaps, easy lather, clean rinsing, cushion,
slick and great after shave feel. All SV soaps are just soooo good.. Heart 
IMO... Cool

1 1,073
 08-26-2018, 07:09 AM
User Info
Hi Zipper,  I too think SV soaps are outstanding .only used Dolomiti and currently Felice. They last ages. The scents are not strong, but soaps with stronger scents, soon disappear after shaving. In any case, I think some scents cause skin problems. As said, only tried 2, but wondered if any of the others stood out with their scent. Cosmo was going to be my next one.

0 178
 08-26-2018, 07:38 AM
User Info
(08-26-2018, 07:09 AM)Roy Wrote: Hi Zipper,  I too think SV soaps are outstanding .only used Dolomiti and currently Felice. They last ages. The scents are not strong, but soaps with stronger scents, soon disappear after shaving. In any case, I think some scents cause skin problems. As said, only tried 2, but wondered if any of the others stood out with their scent. Cosmo was going to be my next one.

I have reactions to some scents. I think it's the amount of two specific chemicals.
I personally like the 70th Aniv. I have them all, Dolomiti And Felice are great.

1 1,073
 08-26-2018, 06:38 PM
User Info
I don't buy based on scent but more for the difference in active ingredients. But a nice scent goes a long way. Cosmo is more of a cold weather soap for me due to scent and since it has such protective lathering qualities, it shines at in shave protection and superior post shave feel (probably up there with Opuntia and Flying Mango v1). Try the Cosmo serum if you want something exquisite for your face after shaving.

85 1,696
 08-27-2018, 09:59 PM
User Info
Scent is important to me, otherwise I would just buy good unscented shaving soaps. I have almost all of the SV soaps and every time I use one, I think "This is my favorite!".

When a soap's scent is not pleasing or almost non-existent, it gets taken out of rotation.

2 113
 08-27-2018, 10:42 PM
User Info
Which SV has the most distinctive scent?

0 178
 08-27-2018, 11:18 PM
User Info
(08-27-2018, 10:42 PM)Roy Wrote: Which SV has the most distinctive scent?

Felce Aromatica, Tundra Artica, and Mirto di Sardegna. Some are more or less exciting to my nose but these are what I believe should be considered based purely on scent.

85 1,696
 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM
User Info
I have always used a badger or bristle brush with SV ànd ,indeed, thus is recommended by the makers. Today, I tried a synthetic, and wow, was it a disaster! Mediocre.  No volume, cushion or glide . Experimented with various amounts of water,  but made no difference. Maybe some synthetics work, but certainly not the Mùhle travel one I have.

0 178
 08-30-2018, 02:02 PM
User Info
I use the recommended brush too. The SV Manchurian High Mountain White 2 Band Badger Brush.....WHEW!!
Long name, just call it SV.02... Tongue  My philosophy, Badger is better..... Cheers

1 1,073
 09-01-2018, 03:43 AM
User Info
What are brushed like in lathering? The one I use cost only £20.

0 178
 09-01-2018, 06:16 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I had no clue that the soaps were recommended to be used with certain brushes. Not sure I want to give my Thater Boar a break from this soap.

0 577
 09-01-2018, 07:16 AM
User Info
(09-01-2018, 06:16 AM)Garb Wrote: I had no clue that the soaps were recommended to be used with certain brushes. Not sure I want to give my Thater Boar a break from this soap.
I'm kidding....Use any brush I just like to use the SV brush with the SV soaps. It helps me to justify the brush... Smile

1 1,073
 09-01-2018, 07:41 AM
User Info
My Mùhle synthetic does not lather the SV, yet on other soaps and creams, no problem. Don't know why.

0 178
 09-01-2018, 07:48 AM
User Info
(09-01-2018, 07:41 AM)Roy Wrote: My Mùhle synthetic does not lather the SV, yet on other soaps and creams, no problem. Don't know why.

I use Badger 99% of the time, so maybe Badger IS better...….At least on SV. Thumbup

1 1,073
 09-01-2018, 10:47 AM
User Info
(09-01-2018, 07:41 AM)Roy Wrote: My Mùhle synthetic does not lather the SV, yet on other soaps and creams, no problem. Don't know why.

Roy, in my experience, I was using synthetic with success for the lathers I found a bit more finicky during assembly which would be Tundra Artica and Colonia. But with both of those, I guess the key was to try and develop a smooth protolather off the puck and avoid over aeration. Too much pressure on the knot or using to much circular motion will cause the lather to bubble up and dissipate rather than absorb the water and smooth out inside the knot. Which soap did you try most recently with your Muhle with (and are you using the white or black fibre)?

85 1,696
 09-01-2018, 12:08 PM
User Info
The Mùhle is their travel brush with a tube to take the brush. I've tried all ways to lather! The natural brush makes wonderful lather.....face lather with no effort!

0 178
 09-14-2018, 05:37 AM
User Info
I got a tin of COSMO today.  I thought other SV soaps were fantastic, but this beats the Dolomiti and Felice which is saying something! I think it takes slightly more water, but so protective and my Rocca with Polsilver just glides over my 1 and half day stubble.  Face feel the best!

0 178
 09-14-2018, 01:19 PM
User Info
(09-14-2018, 05:37 AM)Roy Wrote: I got a tin of COSMO today.  I thought other SV soaps were fantastic, but this beats the Dolomiti and Felice which is saying something! I think it takes slightly more water, but so protective and my Rocca with Polsilver just glides over my 1 and half day stubble.  Face feel the best!

With plenty, and I mean PLENTY of hydration, the lather from Cosmo is indeed very rich, dense, and protective. The post shave is very much in the running for being one of the best from SV. Opuntia is another contender for top spot in my experience. Just curious Roy, you still been using your Muhle synthetic brush or a different brush?

85 1,696
 09-14-2018, 11:04 PM
User Info
(09-14-2018, 01:19 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 05:37 AM)Roy Wrote: I got a tin of COSMO today.  I thought other SV soaps were fantastic, but this beats the Dolomiti and Felice which is saying something! I think it takes slightly more water, but so protective and my Rocca with Polsilver just glides over my 1 and half day stubble.  Face feel the best!

With plenty, and I mean PLENTY of hydration, the lather from Cosmo is indeed very rich, dense, and protective. The post shave is very much in the running for being one of the best from SV. Opuntia is another contender for top spot in my experience. Just curious Roy, you still been using your Muhle synthetic brush or a different brush?

Hi, the synthetic ìs poor compared with the Vulfix 404, mixed boar and badger hair. The brush is around £15 and never shed a hair. Makes a luxurious lather with little effort. I have been considering a good badger such as a silvertip, but every time, I wonder why when I get large amounts of luxurious lather........and in a hard water area!

0 178
 09-14-2018, 11:43 PM
User Info
(09-14-2018, 11:04 PM)Roy Wrote: Hi, the synthetic ìs poor compared with the Vulfix 404, mixed boar and badger hair. The brush is around £15 and never shed a hair. Makes a luxurious lather with little effort. I have been considering a good badger such as a silvertip, but every time, I wonder why when I get large amounts of luxurious lather........and in a hard water area!

I usually aim to develop the lather on my fair with as little aeration and to take the lather across my skin as many times as I can while adding the water over and over. I think I am usually doing that for about three minutes so by the end they should be plenty of coat on the face as well as more lather in the knot and around the outside of the hairs. This seems to be easier as I just do my best to keep things as simple as I can. I am only using 3 band badger brushes (24-25mm normally) and I think that size is a controllable scale for a knot. 

The area I live has hard water so I avoid that for use with the brush and soap. I have the ability to have warm filtered water and usually need about one measuring cup worth. I do rinse my razor with the tap water but my skin can feel the scaliness of our hard water minerals. If I had to use a synthetic with Cosmo for a shave, I could imagine using a synthetic may not pick up enough bloomed soap. That would more likely be my case I use the floppy mop version 1 Plisson synthetic. On top of it, the synthetic will not be soaked or dipped and would be loading off the wet puck. This would take a long time and might be similar to Marco's Method if you've heard of it. 

Nonetheless, the amount of wet lather would be all over the place but would work after 5 minutes but only after a lot of water being added into the texture on the skin. If you are having good results with lather texture and faster assembly with the mixed boar/badger, I think it could be for a few reasons. Maybe the brush being soaked before loading will have some residual water retained in the boar bristle and between the badger hairs. Your boar hair bristles are probably going to pull at the surface of the soap pretty well during loading. 

This may sound redundant but the hard water issue may be overcome in your case if you are allowing for a bit of extra loading and letting the soaps nature take over and allow for hard water minerals within the lather. You may not want the lather totally drowned out and runny but you should still be able to get cushioned, dense and slick lather while hydrating with hard water. It may require a tad bit more product and keeping it moving through the brush bristles to refine and shear the lather texture.

I don't know what SV shave soap I'll use next but I'll snag a lather photo for Cosmo and post it this thread. Roy, glad you are getting better results and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

85 1,696