08-29-2018, 01:14 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
As yr obdnt srvnt viewed A photo posted on a different forum on this board, spontaneously, a question arose in my mind:

If a man has more shaving brushes than shaving soaps in his rotation, that signifies . . . what, exactly?

One confesses that he has not yet arrived at a definitive answer to the question.  But it occurs to me that the specific question is merely a subset of a greater question that may apply generally to the hobby of making the otherwise tedious task of shaving into a pleasurable activity.

Therefore, I submit to the expertise of the readers of this posting the two-part challenge:

1.  What, in your opinion, is the answer to the specific question (meaning of:  brush# > soap#) posted above?
  2.  To what other aspects of the shaving experience might a similar query be posed; and what is the answer (significance)?

1 1,453
 08-29-2018, 01:20 PM
User Info
Cliff Clavin's character from Cheers might offer a tidbit of knowledge on this very subject.

66 1,944
 08-29-2018, 01:44 PM
User Info
A man on a journey....A man seeking shaving Nirvana.

1 1,073
 08-29-2018, 03:50 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(08-29-2018, 01:44 PM)zipper Wrote: A man on a journey....A man seeking shaving Nirvana.

Assuming that you posit the above as the answer to the first of the two questions (and that you punted on the second), would your answer be different if I asked the significance of a man having more shaving soaps than shaving brushes in his rotation? That is, is the order of X and Y in the topic line random and irrelevant?

1 1,453
 08-29-2018, 04:02 PM
User Info
SBAD worse in that individual than SSAD.
Perhaps a syllogism is necessary:
SBAD worse than SSAD
SSAD worse than RAD
then SBAD worse than RAD

66 1,944
 08-29-2018, 06:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-29-2018, 01:14 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: As yr obdnt srvnt viewed A photo posted on a different forum on this board, spontaneously, a question arose in my mind:

If a man has more shaving brushes than shaving soaps in his rotation, that signifies . . . what, exactly?

One confesses that he has not yet arrived at a definitive answer to the question.  But it occurs to me that the specific question is merely a subset of a greater question that may apply generally to the hobby of making the otherwise tedious task of shaving into a pleasurable activity.

Therefore, I submit to the expertise of the readers of this posting the two-part challenge:

1.  What, in your opinion, is the answer to the specific question (meaning of:  brush# > soap#) posted above?
  2.  To what other aspects of the shaving experience might a similar query be posed; and what is the answer (significance)?

Re: Q1. I am a shaver who has a larger regular rotation of brushes than soaps. Being follicly challenged, my fascination with brushes is a natural outgrowth of my condition. In both categories, brushes and soaps, the total number of options is greater, but the regular rotation is just that. Regular. My brushes currently total 25 (plus two on the way from Quinn the Eskimo). There are 13 that comprise my regular rotation; 6 Quinn/ER, 6 Simpsons (including the much loved Duke 3.1) and a Thater 4125, reknotted by Eskimo. Other brushes get thrown into the rotation from time to time, i.e., other ERs, Simpsons, Endeavor Brush Works Y28s, a couple of Epsilon and a trio of nice Semogues, but the previously mentioned baker’s dozen is the rotation.

I have a large cache of soaps, but much of it is stashed in anticipation of the fabled shaveageddon. Every other month or so, I change up the rotation of unscented tubs. I generally rotate through 2 tubs of unscented soaps while also drawing upon a regular (but small) interspersing of ASW tobacco and fougere, LPL oud-santal, Mike’s Lime, a couple of B&M (Diamond and Oceana) and P-Red (yeah,Baby!). I’m quite happy with my relatively small rotation of soaps. They’re all top quality products that I find quite satisfying, and do their job as intended.

Re: Q2. I own many more DE razors than SE. I prefer the DE format, although I am quite fond of my Schick type I razors (1 white, 1 black). I shave 6 days a week; 5 with DE, 1 with an injector.

Don’t aks me why. Just because.

19 4,468
 08-29-2018, 07:01 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(08-29-2018, 06:08 PM)chazt Wrote: Re: Q1. I am a shaver who has a larger regular rotation of brushes than soaps. Being follicly challenged, my fascination with brushes is a natural outgrowth of my condition. In both categories, brushes and soaps, the total number of options is greater, but the regular rotation is just that. Regular.

I have a large cache of soaps, but much of it is stashed in anticipation of the fabled shaveageddon.  I’m quite happy with my relatively small rotation of soaps. They’re all top quality products that I find quite satisfying, and do their job as intended.

Re: Q2. I own many more DE razors than SE. I prefer the DE format, although I am quite fond of my Schick type I razors (1 white, 1 black). I shave 6 days a week; 5 with DE, 1 with an injector.

Don’t aks me why. Just because.

I am very pleased with the (unexpected) turn that this still-short thread has experienced so far.

1 1,453
 08-29-2018, 08:32 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Q1. I have brushes > my soaps (2:1 ratio).  The positive reason is I have self control on shaving soaps, cheap booze, and Italian sport cars. I take enormous pride in having occasional spurts of "no buy".   
The negative reasons: a) Paladin/Brad Sears/Elite Razor post some really spectacular photos of their brushes plus nice people  b) particularly fond of multi colored brushes  c) lack of self control  d) ebonite and Varlet still on a must have list  e) cheaper than a drug habit (possibly).  

Q2. Basically same as #1 - personal preference for a type of item.  I have zero pre-shaves, 2 post shave balms (up from 1 recently).

17 967
 08-29-2018, 08:53 PM
User Info
If you have more money than sense, then be my friend?

6 1,151
 08-29-2018, 09:06 PM
User Info
I'm not sure, but I have more soaps than brushes...  I willingly limits myself as to the number of brushes in my rotation, in order to make sure all gets used and none of them feel left out...

...I know, I'm weird Tongue

3 7,260
 08-29-2018, 09:19 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I'd have to allow myself to guess having more brushes than soaps can only indicate a higher tolerance for impulsive purchases and also achieving a soap that can't be replaced by any other.

Q2: Owning several hundred DE blades can a person really be expected to own just as many DE razors to rotate smoothly day to day?

Having achieved a comfortable shave on a daily basis is there really any reason to still explore the uncharted waters of finding new razors? 

I continue to not only explore uncharted waters but to enjoy the hunt.

0 612
 08-30-2018, 01:58 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(08-29-2018, 08:32 PM)SCOV Wrote: I have self control on shaving soaps, cheap booze, and Italian sport cars. I take enormous pride in having occasional spurts of "no buy". 

Fess up:  in the time since your 16th birthday, what was the longest period of self-restraint between purchases of Italian sports cars?

On brakes being practically non-existent on this cars, Ettore Bugatti said:

Quote:I make cars to go.  Not to stop.
    -- Ettore Bugatti

On a customer insisting to Ettore Bugatti that his new Type 46 Bugatti was not running properly:

Quote:You, monsieur, I think, are the one who has brought his Type 46 back three times?
[The man confirmed he certainly had.]
Do not let it happen again!

-- Ettore Bugatti

Though Ettore Bugatti had been born in Italy and bore an Italian surname, he spent practically all his working life in France, and he said of his Italian birth:  

Quote:That accident.  
   -- Ettore Bugatti

1 1,453
 08-30-2018, 03:11 AM
User Info
Could be allergic reaction to so many of the soaps....so he has few soaps but a larger collection of brushes, in the search for shaving comfort.
I have more soaps for just this reason, an attempt to find good soaps that cause me the least irritation......When I find a few soaps that meet my
criteria, I will have more bushes than soaps... Blush

1 1,073
 08-30-2018, 03:51 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Zipper, have you tried going unscented?

19 4,468
 08-30-2018, 02:10 PM
User Info
(08-30-2018, 03:51 AM)chazt Wrote: Zipper, have you tried going unscented?
Yes....Yes I have. Found a few scented ones too. I think it's Limonene & Linalool that are the culprits.... Smile

1 1,073
 08-30-2018, 03:05 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(08-30-2018, 01:58 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 08:32 PM)SCOV Wrote: I have self control on shaving soaps, cheap booze, and Italian sport cars. I take enormous pride in having occasional spurts of "no buy". 

Fess up:  in the time since your 16th birthday, what was the longest period of self-restraint between purchases of Italian sports cars?

On brakes being practically non-existent on this cars, Ettore Bugatti said:

Several years
- Ferrari for my daughter's 16th birthday (actually a Ferrari keyring would be more accurate)
- Mazada Miata which is now available as an Italain sports car (hopefully that counts)

17 967
 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM
User Info
[Image: BBME22h.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f]
You, monsieur, I think, are the one who has brought his Type 46 back three times?

-- Ettore Bugatti
What would he say about this Bugatti made of Lego pieces?

1 1,073
 08-31-2018, 08:54 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(08-30-2018, 05:33 PM)zipper Wrote: [Image: BBME22h.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f]
You, monsieur, I think, are the one who has brought his Type 46 back three times?

-- Ettore Bugatti
What would he say about this Bugatti made of Lego pieces?

As long as it lacks brakes, surely, he would approve.

1 1,453