09-08-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
Does using facial moisturizer/sunscreen after AS remove/lessen the scent?

I have this theory that I need to start disinfecting my face after shaving to kill any bacteria lying around. I could be wrong.

Haven't used aftershave since high school, but now am thinking maybe the antiseptic is a good idea. I also like the idea of smelling nice when I go to the office without using cologne.

However, I do use sunscreen/moisturizer on my face. Would that diminish the scent? If so, I might as well just mix some alcohol/water solution and use that.

9 2,988
 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use two different balms after I apply my after shave and they do not block the scent of the after shave. They are Prairie Creations Unscented Balm and Speick Balm.

When I use Alt Innsbruck, I follow up with the Alt Innsbruck Emulsion. They compliment each other.

173 23,553
 09-10-2012, 05:07 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Balm or moisturizer is good for your skin. Don't worry about bacteria unless it gets into your body. Do what you have been doing and stop worrying. After shave or cologne smells good and others notice it so continue on the same path.

100 12,448
 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM
User Info
(09-10-2012, 05:07 AM)slantman Wrote: Balm or moisturizer is good for your skin. Don't worry about bacteria unless it gets into your body. Do what you have been doing and stop worrying. After shave or cologne smells good and others notice it so continue on the same path.

That's the thing, I don't use AS. I just put on sunscreen/moisturizer after washing away the excess lather with water.

Lately I've had some adult acne crop up. Usually it shows up due to bacteria on the skin, so I'm thinking of adding an antiseptic to my routine.

Either case, I ordered some Kramperts. In the meantime I mixed up a 25% solution of alcohol/water.

9 2,988
 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Lee, you will enjoy the Kramperts. Be sure and shake it well before you apply it.

173 23,553
 09-11-2012, 05:37 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Krampert's is stellar. The scent does dissipate after a while but if used in the AM, I can catch a whiff of it 6 hours later if I've used a healthy dose.

If you are concerned about mixing scents and want something with an antiseptic quality, just use Witch Hazel. The regular,(any generic) version is 14% alcohol as long as you don't get the distillate which has no alcohol. The scent of ordinary Witch Hazel goes away very quickly.
You can use anything scented after that.

Some claim Witch Hazel helps with mild acne because aside from being antiseptic, it's anti-inflammatory. Some claim that alum helps their acne as well and it's antiseptic too.

6 905