09-04-2018, 11:51 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-30-2018, 10:39 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Some photos to compliment the thread.
[Image: OmvHvDv.jpg]Along with the Gillette Guard

Some more photos to fill out the discussion:
Disposables vs. “single use” in quality Japanese razors:  

[Image: R0h4Phm.jpg]
From the top:  
•  Feather AS-D2, an all stainless (that is where the “AS” of the model number comes in) razor with a rigid (non-pivoting) head that retails for >US$150 these days, not including blades;
•  KAI Besty3 EX:  a six pack of these razors retails for the equivalent of about US$1.40 per razor; it is a substantial, albeit plastic, razor, with a substantial feel in the hand;
•  KAI “single use” razor given away free in the anteroom of the communal baths of many Japanese onsen (hot springs) hotels, or as an amenity on the private bathrooms of many regular Japanese hotels; the head pivots, as do the heads on the KAI Besty3 and the Feather MR3 neo, but this lightweight, almost hollow, razor feels flimsy in the hand.  From my own experience, I think that “single use” is a bit of a misnomer, as the blades are (very sharp) high-grade stainless steel, and I could get four or five good shaves out of one such razor;
•  Feather MR3 neo razor, of which only the cartridge is disposable:  current model handle sells for the equivalent of US$4.57, and a 9-pack of 3-blade cartridges sells for the equivalent of US$13.88. The old style handle (shown) is plated solid metal, and is heavy.

[Image: p5HG8p8.jpg]
Close-up of backs of “single use” razor (top) and Besty3 EX (bottom); it appears that I put the blade guard onto the Besty3 EX from the wrong side of the cartridge; however, it will fit on either way.

[Image: YzawuwH.jpg]
Close-up of the inside of the handles of the “single use” and Besty3 EX razors showing how the latter’s construction incorporates considerably more material.  It is possible to get ten or more good shaves from a single Besty3 EX razor.

1 1,354
 09-23-2018, 08:43 PM
User Info
no. real shaving is in the long run much cheaper than disposables.

0 16
 09-25-2018, 04:53 PM
User Info
Disposables cheaper than wet shaving?

Gee I don't  know..................
The wife used to put a 10 pack of the cheapest Bics in my Christmas stocking and I'd still  have one or two left come the next Christmas and that was with her stealing two or three over the course of the year vs.  the 14 straights I've got probably $2500 or better into.

Hmmmmmmmm

0 45
 04-04-2019, 04:32 AM
User Info
Perhaps.

All I know is I've been using the same Merkur FUTUR since 2015, and the same box of 100 Personna DEs since...forever. My only recurring expense is a tube of Cremo Creme which I buy maybe twice a year. I say "maybe" because I can't remember the last time I made a purchase.

The way I see it, the answer depends on whether you shave for practicality or treat it as a hobby.

0 30
 04-04-2019, 05:11 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Shaving is probably the most subjective of activities. 

YMMV fills these pages as some gentlemen tend to forget that what is smooth and efficient for them is the guillotine for me and visa versa.  

yesterday was a personal gloomy day, I woke up aching and the morning was not going my way. 

I took time for a shave and 20-30 minutes later all my troubles seemed so far away. 

just choosing the razor, blade, brush and soap created a barrier protecting me from whatever else was happening around me that seemed so stressful in the moment.

after the post shave, i looked good, smelled good smiled at myself in the mirror and I had a good chuckle at myself for feeling as I did and took the day head on without a cloud of negativity ruining what became a beautiful day.

Why would I ever entertain saving money (pennies after all) and losing the essence of this magical experience. 

If I do spend a more on luxurious products to enhance this experience, it is an investment in me.  however as always YMMV

0 252
 04-04-2019, 09:52 AM
User Info
If you have one brush(a cheap synthetic or boar), one cheap container of soap(let's say Derby or Arko shave stick), and a vintage tech razor($around $10 on ebay) and cheap razor blades then yes.  Most of us have gone overboard compared to that.

1 501
 04-04-2019, 10:50 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I started this thread last August. I haven't changed my shaving routine, I actually love this routine, but if I go on a trip, I'll take one of the previously mentioned single blade carts with me. I just don't want to take the risk of losing my "precious" razors.

60 2,593
 04-04-2019, 12:53 PM
User Info
I don't want to hijack this thread but as a related issue, I have noticed that there is a "Bic Medical" version of the Bic 1 Sensitive which as far as I can tell is an open comb (!) Bic 1. I would have bought a pack just to try except that they can only be bought from places with silly high shipping around here, so they'd end up being expensive. 
As I understand it they are for surgical prep, but perhaps this is a hardcore alternative for carry-on disposables for anyone finding a cheap source?

[Image: 1691743.jpg]

1 235
 04-04-2019, 01:18 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(04-04-2019, 12:53 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: I don't want to hijack this thread but as a related issue, I have noticed that there is a "Bic Medical" version of the Bic 1 Sensitive which as far as I can tell is an open comb (!) Bic 1. I would have bought a pack just to try except that they can only be bought from places with silly high shipping around here, so they'd end up being expensive. 
As I understand it they are for surgical prep, but perhaps this is a hardcore alternative for carry-on disposables for anyone finding a cheap source?

[Image: 1691743.jpg]

i saw an add on ebay for these at a few hundred dollars per thousand (10 boxes of 100) certainly for a busy clinic. 

As for travel, I will bring a $4 omega boar travel brush. a $10 tech and appropriate scoops of soap to fit TSA guidelines and as many shaves as I will need +2 ditto AS splash or balm. 

If I found a good cart or disposable maybe but I grew a beard instead until i discovered this curiously satisfying ritual. 

today i recognize that carts are the Dark Side and disposables their evil minions.

0 252
 04-04-2019, 01:26 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I would like to add that single blade carts were far from being my favorites back in the day, when I was still using carts. Mach 3 was my weapon of choice. Also, Sensor Excel was a very good cart. But now, that my shaving technique is better, I can get pretty good shaves from them.

I say this. If you are afraid of losing your razors, if there's even a possibility of having your razors confiscated, just get a single blade cart. With proper shaving technique, you will be satisfied by them.

Gillette Guard has an interesting story behind its launch. Gillette India wanted to introduce this razor to DE users in order to get a bigger market share.

60 2,593
 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM
User Info
(04-04-2019, 01:18 PM)RyznRio Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 12:53 PM)RazorSteve Wrote: I don't want to hijack this thread but as a related issue, I have noticed that there is a "Bic Medical" version of the Bic 1 Sensitive which as far as I can tell is an open comb (!) Bic 1. I would have bought a pack just to try except that they can only be bought from places with silly high shipping around here, so they'd end up being expensive. 

i saw an add on ebay for these at a few hundred dollars per thousand (10 boxes of 100) certainly for a busy clinic. 

As for travel, I will bring a $4 omega boar travel brush. a $10 tech and appropriate scoops of soap to fit TSA guidelines and as many shaves as I will need +2 ditto AS splash or balm. 

If I found a good cart or disposable maybe but I grew a beard instead until i discovered this curiously satisfying ritual. 

today i recognize that carts are the Dark Side and disposables their evil minions.

I meant for carry-on when you have no checked luggage, therefore can't bring blades and buying them at the destination might not be convenient (i.e. for a quick business trip etc). I won't argue that carts aren't evil, but I see a use for carry-on only trips. Smile

1 235